Gareth Bale

NurembergVillan

Bale has been amazing the last few months but the comparisons to Messi and Ronaldo are a bit of joke. The guy is clearly one of the best attacking players in the world but those two are on a different scale. It will be interesting to see if Spurs can hold onto him as all the top/richest teams in the world will be after him this summer.

426501_10151529828364101_1276765570_n.jp

I think that is impressive if those numbers are accurate.

Bale has done more or less the same in a much worse side.

Better than Giggs ever was :thumb:

All depends what your criteria are though and how you are measuring being a "better" player. Is it just who has played the best football? Or who has been generally more consistent across their career? Or who has won the most?

Giggs has never in his career played as well as Bale is currently playing for me.

Also worth to remember in that comparison is that english clubs had been suspended for 5 years from all european tournaments and were still learning their trade from that absence in the first 5-6 years after the comeback. They were not the dominant force they were during the '00's. Bale is good. One of the best in current form. Might get better than Giggs. But Giggs is legendary, Bale is not. Yet. And Giggs didn't go for a run of no wins in 18 months or so like Bale did. :)

Given the choice (i.e. in dreamland) would you rather have Bale or RVP at Villa?

Assuming we'd have the exact smae squad we have now, then Bale.

But if I was building a dream squad, I'd probably have RVP in there before I had Bale.

Let me once again state that I think Bale is probably the best player in the league at the moment, however I need to point out that his current purple patch has in the main, come against mid to lower league Prem teams and in the Europa League. In the last 10 games or so, Spurs have played, they've only really played Man Ure, who you'd class as a good side. The rest of the games have come against the likes of West Ham, Lyon, Newcastle, Albion, Leeds, Coventry, Reading, Sunderland, Villa and Stoke. A little bit early to be describing him as a world great in my opinion.  

• Like 1

He has had a good month but it doesn't make him the best player in the league (Van Persie is) and he doesn't come close to measuring up to Ryan Giggs. If Bale were to get a career ending injury this weekend he would be pretty quickly forgotten.

• Like 1

I would have to disagree Tomaszk

When Giggs was 23 96/97, he had just won his 2nd double (1996) and was on the way to winning another league title (1997). He was a key part of those doubles and titles.

Also remember he was the original pin up, before Beckham came along.

It's absolutely up for debate! These are just the ramblings of a madman.

Yeah Giggs would have won more but he was playing for the best team in the country; I think Bale has been the best player for a team rapidly on the rise which is up against more tough opposition than that mid 90s United team were.

In my opinion, United, when Giggs was Bale's age didn't have the competition for their top spot which Spurs have had to overcome to be a team battling in the top 4. Between 92/93 and 97/98 United won 4 of the 6 league titles on offer, and only lost out to Blackburn (who had Man City'd it up the league) by a point and Arsenal by a point. Spurs have had to battle United themselves, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and to an extent Everton, Newcastle and us, with Bale leading the way for them.

Let's say they had both retired at 23... 25 years on most fans would still be talking about how good Giggs could have been, but United would probably still have won as much as they have now because they'd have bought someone like Overmars. If Bale had, it would only be Spurs fans because Spurs' challenge would have fallen well away; bit like we wonder about Nilis, but no other English fans really know who he is.

That's the most hypothetical thing ever been written...

It's almost unfair to compare because of the difference in the game in 1994 and now, but as they're both pacy Welsh left wingers I have, and I think Bale has put in performances in the last 2 years I don't think Giggs has ever had in his locker.

Edited by Tomaszk

Interesting points made. United fans tell me Giggs best season at the club was in 93/94. Secondly some would argue Giggs was a key part of the manchester united success that started in 1993, 2 years AFTER his debut.

Also when Giggs was Bales age, it was 1997, not 1994. That extra 3 years does make a difference

Â