The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Anyone got any experience in refretting acoustic guitars?

My old tanglewood could do with a couple of new frets on it where they have worn down, I called fair deal music and was quoted £150 for the lot or £75 for a couple, I wasn't expecting it to be that expensive

Try finding a Luthier who you can deal with direct and is local, unlikely fair deal will have an in house Luthier, I've heard good things about Bob Barrie in Birmingham, but have never used his services personally so don't take this as a personal recommendation. A Luthier will advise if a re-fret is really needed or if you can get away with a fretdress instead, All frets in Northampton advertise a partial re-fret from £30 + £5 per fret, and a complete re-fret from £95 no idea if this inclusive of Vat. Of course Fairdeal may be quoting you extra stuff like strings and set up which may not be included in the prices I have seen from Allfrets.

Well I've been putting some serious time into my banjo over the last few weeks after not touching it for a fair few months, I actually feel like I'm making some good progress on it now, I can play the first half of cripple creek easily at 100bpm and can muddle through it at 120bpm.

I still think it's amazing how much more difficult it is than the guitar, I remember when I got my first banjo (a bird bought it for me and it was so bottom end that you could barely call it a banjo) I thought I would be picking like Earle Scruggs within days, Jesus how wrong was I.

It's just a lovely feeling when you can tell that you are progressing on an instrument.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Right. I know a fella who is willing to sell his Peavey bass amp with 15'' black widow speaker. He wants £300 but is willing to negotiate.

I've heard some cracking things about these BW speakers, apparently they're the dogs...The seller has some top notch equipment, and was a semi pro musician for years but can't play any longer for age and health reasons. He's a really nice guy and I trust him when he raves about this amp.

I'm going to see it tomorrow. I'll trust my ears and the seller before some random on the Internet, but I'm just trying to gather as much info about the amp before I go there.

Has any muso in VT land ever heard, played through one?

• 4 weeks later...

Kingfisher ,, re. Black Widow. I think I may have mentioned this earlier in this thread but (as a drummer) this was the best bass sound I have ever heard. Our bass player had this rig with a Fender Precision. I have played with various set-ups including Fender Piggyback (or summat like that) and one bloke had a JD bass with Trace-Eliot(sp) - lots of green light on the amp head.

No = Peavey was the best. Just an opinion of course.

Bought the Peavey for £300. It's a 300 watt monster. Very loud indeed. Indestructible but very heavy too.

Interestingly I got an LP style Maya guitar made in Japan thrown in for free. It looks late 70's early 80's. I heard that Japan were knocking out instruments that beat the originals at that time. This particular guitar used to be owned by a guitarist called Adrian Legg. (I'd never heard of him but a bit of googling reveals him to be a mighty fine guitarist).

He had the guitar modified with an extra middle pickup and a load of phase reversal switches which give the guitar a whole myriad of sounds. It's really quite an instrument! I put a new set of strings on it and it really rocks.

Edited by Kingfisher

Yep - quite staggering. As I think I said before (somewhere) the keyboard player was the driving force behind Poliphony and he now lives in California. He emailed the rest of us recently to say that he had been approached with a view to using one of the tracks on a 'sampler ' of 70's prog rock. I immediately had visions of vast wealth and hoards of adoring groupies. However it seems the offer is £50 each plus  royalties. As regards the groupies ..... my wife thinks this is fairly unlikely at my age and it took some time for her to stop laughing !

For those who know about these things, the keyboard player, Dave Bristow, was partly responsible for the Yamaha DX7 - a seminal instrument in my day.

The bass player still lives in Harborne.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Any drummers on VT? (most probably, just too lazy to flick back and find some)

Been playing for about a year now and really enjoy it. I just don't seem to have a 'practice routine' as such. I just do a bit of jamming every day, sometimes to music but mostly without. I've had a couple of lessons with different teachers and they've shown me the basics. Can't really afford and don't particularly want to pay for anymore. I went and bought the cheapest kit I could get (which was still around £400-500!) a Yamaha DTX500K... (not my picture - got it off google)

ilan_28931_2.jpg

I just plug some headphones into it and away I go. It's not great and sometimes I wish I had a better kit but at the standard I'm at the moment I don't there's any need.

As I say though, I'm struggling to find any sort of proper practice routine. I'm too scared to take on a song at the moment. I always read different things about rudiments too... some people go on without learning any and do just fine. I can manage a single stroke at a reasonable speed but not so much doubles and everything else.

Edited by Warnock

This my 'kit': 

dd305-630-80.jpg

Yes, I know proper drummers will sneer, but for what I want to (and can) do, and my budget and domestic arrangements, it was the best compromise. 

The toms, hi-hat, snare, and ride cymbals sound pretty good, the kick drum less so. The crash cymbal is terrible, no real decay. 

Any drummers on VT? (most probably, just too lazy to flick back and find some)

Been playing for about a year now and really enjoy it. I just don't seem to have a 'practice routine' as such. I just do a bit of jamming every day, sometimes to music but mostly without. I've had a couple of lessons with different teachers and they've shown me the basics. Can't really afford and don't particularly want to pay for anymore. I went and bought the cheapest kit I could get (which was still around £400-500!) a Yamaha DTX500K... (not my picture - got it off google)

ilan_28931_2.jpg

I just plug some headphones into it and away I go. It's not great and sometimes I wish I had a better kit but at the standard I'm at the moment I don't there's any need.

As I say though, I'm struggling to find any sort of proper practice routine. I'm too scared to take on a song at the moment. I always read different things about rudiments too... some people go on without learning any and do just fine. I can manage a single stroke at a reasonable speed but not so much doubles and everything else.

can you read the music at all?

get yourself a couple of music books with CD's, one as a basic 'learn drums' book, one with some music you like

even the basic 'official' grade 1 / 2 / 3 books will have enough stuff in there to keep you learning and keep you interested

after that, a basic CD close enough to keep pressing replay and you'll get there in the end

unfortunately, there's no substitute for hours on the chair

(my kids are officially grade 3 on the grade books but in reality can bang along to most music once they've heard it a few times)

Just bought a set of bongos and a stand - I had no concept how expensive they could be. I really really try and buy from local music shops (Cranes. Drum Depot), but I just couldn't this time. Cheapest full size decent bongos I could find in an actual shop were £70 plus another £52 for a stand. Amazon got me what appear to be decent full size bongos and a stand for £44. They haven't arrived yet, we'll see if it was the right thing to do.

Can read very basic music notation. Any books you'd recommend? I thought the internet would be a suitable resource for all learning material.

I understand this drum grading but I see alot of people, in particular this 1 guy on YouTube who is considered very good and he's in a band. He told me he literally just jammed along with stuff. That's it... :huh:

trinity

the kids are using Trinity, grade 3 has some decent music to learn and the usual play along CD, but pick the book to suit where you're at

as for other music, Coldplay et al issue sheet music that appears simple enough to play along to ('Clocks' being a regular in our house), but it's really down to what you like and yes, the kids are playing music together that they like that's well above their grades, it might not be technically spot on but if it teaches you timing and endurance and you enjoy it, fill yer boots

Â