The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

For a cheap USB maybe look at Blue Snowballs.

My son has a blue snowball, only really uses it for convenience when he just wants to get a few ideas recorded so he doesn't forget or lose them, but we found latency to be a problem if he wanted to monitor in real time as he recorded. so he tends to stick to his Rode NT1a (he wishes he has bought a matched pair) which a very nice mic or his Rode M1 depending on circumstances.

Not sure if anyone is producing USB 3 mics and I'm not sure if they could improve the latency problems experienced with USB2 mics

you can pick up a perfectly usable, used USB audio interface for about £50 and something like the Edirol FA66 which is firewire for about £10-£20 more but obviously not much use if you don't have a firewire input, but apparently they work very well with laptops which historically can be problematic with Audio interfaces.

You can pick up a superlux pro 248s for about £30, I've seen articles that rate these as good or better than many microphones at triple the price.

EDIT: the blue yeti is a usb 3 microphone and is about £70 and has received some favorable reviews

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

**** phone I just typed out a massive reply and my phone has deleted it.

Anyway I'll probably take a look at them snowball ones, it's only going to be used as a practice aid so I only want to spend £30/40 on it.

Also I'm seriously considering gutting my spare room and chucking all of my instruments in there, I've currently got 3 guitars and a banjo in my bedroom and 2 guitars 1 banjo and a keyboard in my living room. It's just being arsed to get rid of the shit that is in there first though

If I had an audio interface and was buying one mic, it would be an SM57.

Can't argue with that, It's a workhorse of a mic with great versatility. So for one mic only if you are recording lots of different sources,i.e. voice and acoustic instruments and also want a mic that can be used for live performance, it would be a great choice at a reasonable price (£90-£100).

but if you have a good room and don't need isolation from your mic, as you would in a live stage environment I'd always buy a good condenser mic over a good dynamic mic, (unless your vocalist wants to hold the mic of course)

936123_10151641697639476_75900331_n.jpg

That's my Fender Baja Telecaster. Absolutely beautiful, chunky frets and quite heavy. The bridge pickup is decent, but I may upgrade it at some point, the neck pickup is as creamy as anything, but with plenty of twang. Position 2, offers both pickups in parallel, classic tele sound. Position 4 has both pickups in series, kinda like a humbucker, and both position 2 and 4 can be played out of phase, by pushing the volume knob down. 

To be honest, the extra sounds are interesting but I don't use them that often. Position 4 out of phase gives you a sort of 'Money for nothing' sound. 

I love it, it's my favourite guitar I've owned. 

• Like 3

**** phone I just typed out a massive reply and my phone has deleted it.

Anyway I'll probably take a look at them snowball ones, it's only going to be used as a practice aid so I only want to spend £30/40 on it.

Also I'm seriously considering gutting my spare room and chucking all of my instruments in there, I've currently got 3 guitars and a banjo in my bedroom and 2 guitars 1 banjo and a keyboard in my living room. It's just being arsed to get rid of the shit that is in there first though

Worth the effort,

few pictures of my son's set up (please excuse the carpet, but we needed something sound absorbing on the floor and it was free) and yes we need to treat the walls to some panels.

2013_03_22_09_03_44.jpg

imagen

2013_03_22_09_08_03.jpg

screenshot app

• Like 2

I have this at home for recording my acoustic guitar

Behringer C -1 £37

61qU3IsCIsL._SL1200_.jpg

Because it's a condenser mic you need an audio interface with phantom power. 

81Tx5lnHr6L._SL1500_.jpg

I have Line 6 POD UX2 £160 on amazon to plug it into. I got it because of the software, and that it has 2 mic and 2 instrument inputs. It comes with some cool guitar software, with loads of virtual effects for your guitar and vocals. Hundreds of presets and lots of virtual amps/setups, which are great fun and would work with your banjo as well. It comes with Reason Limited, which is easy to use. 

However, you needn't get something as fancy, just an audio interface with mic input, and phantom power. Most audio interfaces come with a basic DAW as well. 

I keep mine plugged in all the time and rum my speakers and headphones from it, because the sound quality is much better. 

Edited by PompeyVillan

Buying a guitar is like making love to a beautiful woman. You need to know what she feels like.You need to hold her, touch her, run your hands over her curves. You need to strum her gently, and then hard, flick her switches and make sure her G string is supple before you make the decision to buy. 

Swiss-Toni-007.jpg

• Like 1

Buying a guitar is like making love to a beautiful woman. You need to know what she feels like.You need to hold her, touch her, run your hands over her curves. You need to strum her gently, and then hard, flick her switches and make sure her G string is supple before you make the decision to buy. 

Swiss-Toni-007.jpg

lol, yeah, I have played Maverick's before and own an X1, but I know buying unseen is a good way to experience disappointment, saying that though I'm a pretty shit guitarist

Edit.

Actually I'm an Ugly shit guitarist

• Like 1

I have this at home for recording my acoustic guitar

Behringer C -1 £37

61qU3IsCIsL._SL1200_.jpg

Because it's a condenser mic you need an audio interface with phantom power. 

81Tx5lnHr6L._SL1500_.jpg

I have Line 6 POD UX2 £160 on amazon to plug it into. I got it because of the software, and that it has 2 mic and 2 instrument inputs. It comes with some cool guitar software, with loads of virtual effects for your guitar and vocals. Hundreds of presets and lots of virtual amps/setups, which are great fun and would work with your banjo as well. It comes with Reason Limited, which is easy to use. 

However, you needn't get something as fancy, just an audio interface with mic input, and phantom power. Most audio interfaces come with a basic DAW as well. 

I keep mine plugged in all the time and rum my speakers and headphones from it, because the sound quality is much better. 

Have to admit, the Line 6 pod is one of the more aesthetically pleasing audio interfaces, makes the Focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP  we use seem dull as dishwater, but the two headphone sockets have been invaluable.

• Like 1

I have that same Behringer C-1, love it. Don't need the interface as my 24-track has channels with phantom power. 

Funnily enough, I've also inherited one of those UX2 boxes from a friend who was going to chuck it out, but I don't have the software. Any suggestions? 

The UX2 drivers are easy to get hold of, I imagine it should contain the suitable Asio Driver

http://uk.line6.com/software/index.html

In terms of other software DAWS, Vst's Plug-ins, there are quite a few open source or free programs floating about, and some pretty decent ones at under £70,

We Use Cubase 7.5, but only because my son got it as an educational package at version 6.5 with a free upgrade to ver7 which also gave a license conversion to full commercial, then it was very cheap to upgrade again, So we don't have much experience of other cheaper DAWs, we do however have a few other DAWS that came with various bits of equipment and other software, think we have a version of Reason and Cubase AI 6 that we have never installed.

On the free stuff, heard good stuff about LMMS, Traverso is another I've heard people be complimentary about. Reaper is $60 but the Demo mode never expires, you just get a nag screen on start up, I have played around with Acoustica Mixcraft 5 which was sort of alright (think I've been spoiled by cubase 7.5), It's currently it's on version 6 which is supposed to be a much improved product, I've seen it for sale for under £40, plenty of advice on cheap/free software and VST's available on line, Other cheap options, cubase elements 7 is about £40-£50, Steinberg sequel 3 is about a tenner more, cakewalk music creator 6 is about the same price as previously mentioned products.

If you have a Mac, there is nothing wrong with Garage band though

The UX2 drivers are easy to get hold of, I imagine it should contain the suitable Asio Driver

http://uk.line6.com/software/index.html

Haven't tried it yet, but I think that site is a bit strict on having the product registration key, which of course I don't. 

Not for the drivers, after all they would be pretty useless without a suitable line 6 product, Effectively you are just installing a very high grade audio card (albeit an external one). You do need to create a user account to download however (just successfully downloaded to see if you could). Obviously it's unlikely you'd be able to download any of the other software (DAW VSTi's etc) that came with the retail product. Manual available to download here http://uk.line6.com/support/manuals/podstudioux2

though the site does have a free version of POD farm available.

Â