The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

I think I'm siding with @mjmooney here. Decent acoustic guitars: try different makes of strings and different gauges first. It's amazing how much difference it can make without any further adjustment. I've had three of my guitars set up by professionals: an ESP Frankencaster (some improvement, as I apparently had done a decent job myself beforehand) and an American-bought Applause acoustic-electric which turned out to be an instrument on a wholly different level afterwards. The third (a 335  clone) - well, the guy ruined it. Totally unplayable afterwards. (Three different shops, but all highly recommended).

I have an old Squire strat for 'research purposes' - swapping pickups and changing resistors etc, fooling around with bridge height and neck adjustment. It's fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't stop thinking about this guitar ... Something about these late 70s and early 80s MIJ guitars that has a hold on me. I'm thinking even of selling my American Telecaster to "justify" this or a late 70s/early 80s Yamaha.

spacer.png

These, too. I'm wrong, right? These aren't that special, right?

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I've always liked the Ibanez's my mate bought a real real cheap one a few months ago and had it for about a week before he upgraded it (it was shot to shit in all fairness) but if I was ever in the market for another electric I would definitely have a look at them, I'd be looking at the AS models with the semi hollow bodies.

For the minute though I'm good with my Tele and my Les Paul, although the Les Paul needs some work doing on it because it isn't exactly in prime condition, still perfectly playable but the pickup switch is a wee bit fooked, it is about 20 years old though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Xann said:

:)  Cardi B wanged it at someone that chucked a drink at her.

I know. And her 'singing' magically continued on the P.A. 

Hence my 'never used' suggestion. 

• Haha 1

On 02/07/2023 at 18:06, mjmooney said:

FFS don't sell an American Tele. 

However... can't speak for the Ibanez, but I have played a Yamaha SG, and it was fantastic. 

Ah, missed this. I still have my tele, but I'm afraid the missus needs me to sell a Martin acoustic I have. Those Yamaha SG series guitars for some reason were way more popular in Britain. Not sure why. But that's part of why I've always been interested.

I will try to keep the tele. The only solution as you know is more guitars. 

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Get yourself a divorce lawyer mate. 

Remember: She lives with me (and that ain't easy), so she's already made a LOT of concessions in her life 😁.  Right now things are at the "you-said-you-were-going-to-sell-one-of-your-guitars" stage of loss. As you know, this stage can last for decades. 🤣 But I think you may have talked me down from selling the tele. It IS such a versatile guitar!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Remember: She lives with me (and that ain't easy), so she's already made a LOT of concessions in her life 😁.  Right now things are at the "you-said-you-were-going-to-sell-one-of-your-guitars" stage of loss. 

But... why? Is it for the money? And it's your guitar, so can you spend the proceeds on yourself? Or do you have to put in in the household kitty? 

Or is it taking up space? I don't know how many instruments you own, but I guess if this is just one of many, I can grudgingly understand. But if it's your only acoustic - out of order! 

I mean, c'mon man... a Martin...  :(

• Like 1

Â