The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Thanks all for the heads up - guitar wise I think I’m settled on either a squier telecaster or a gretsch streamliner, amp wise after today’s research I’m not too worried about as there seems lots of good options around the £100-£120 mark 

Payday can’t roll around quick enough 

13 minutes ago, M_Allback_14 said:

I think I’m settled on either a squier telecaster or a gretsch streamliner

I have a Gretsch G2622 Streamliner and a US-made Fender Telecaster, and they're both superb guitars, but with different sounds - so think about what type of music you want to play. Teles have single coil pickups, so tend to a have a thin, cutting tone - good for blues and country, etc. The Gretch has the new Broadtron humbuckers, which are 'darker' - somewhere between the trad Gretsch 'jangle' and the rock power of a Les Paul. Being semi-hollow, it's also fairly light. I'd say it scores more on 'bangs per buck' than a Squier, but as I say, it depends what you want. 

Screenshot_2021-10-14-20-36-25-37_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Absolute bargain to be had on a mk1 Boss Katana 100 amp for £239 over at Hickies. Cannot overstate how great they are, at that price it's a no-brainer and you'd have plenty left over to pick up a decent enough Squier that you can always upgrade  at a later date.  Big fan of the Squier Affinity Jazzmasters myself, cheapest one going online is here for £189.  Whatever you decide to do guitar-wise, I'd recommend sticking to a hard-tail if you're going budget, every budget guitar I've ever played with a trem-arm slips out of tune too easily.

But anywho, yeah, if that was me I'd be picking up those two and putting the change towards a Zoom MS-70CDR. Then you're covered for an absolute boat-load of effects (and a tuner) as well.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 19:54, mjmooney said:

Yeah, that's the thing. Mrs M had formal piano and violin lessons as a kid, and to her reading music is as easy as reading English. Whereas to me it's **** ing witchcraft. To be fair, her whistle scores have the chords written above the staves, and I can follow the notes enough to know where I am for accompaniment purposes. If, on the other hand, I was playing the whistle melody, although I could never follow the score, with a bit of trial and error I'd soon be able to play the tune by ear. She can't understand how I can do that. It's like two different mindsets. 

Apologies for quoting an old post, but I haven't visited this thread for a long time... At 13 (a very long time ago), I started teaching myself the basics of guitar and keyboard, using an old book had several pages of guitar chord charts and listening to the music I heard on radio or cassette. 6-7 years later, I was formally taught how to play recorder/clarinet/flute, along with piano/classical guitar lessons, all by sheet music.

My guitar and keyboard technique improved (and my sight-reading skills to a lesser degree), but I still can't play recorder/clarinet/flute by ear, or improvise on those instruments. I need the sheet music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Whatever you decide to do guitar-wise, I'd recommend sticking to a hard-tail if you're going budget, every budget guitar I've ever played with a trem-arm slips out of tune too easily.

I wholeheartedly agree with this advice. 

I'm not a musician, I briefly learned the trombone as a kid and that was that, so musicians kinda blow my mind. Saying that, I always kinda felt that the drums were the least 'talented' instrument for many years - like any idiot can bang a few drums in time and occasionally did a bit of flare with a fill.

But then you watch stuff like this (I know I've posted it before, but it's awesome) and out kinda blows your mind.

How the **** is he remembering all of those patterns? And not only that but then doing the same thing for however many other songs in the set?

And then you watch something like this and then you realise it's actually even more complicated because they're constantly messing with the timing and meter as well so it's not even like there's a constant rhythm to it all.

So incredible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I always knew I liked you Chindie :D

Can I get in on this love-in? I had two trombone lessons and I managed to replicate the sound of a v12 F1-car. Proud moment

• Haha 2

The level of my ability was massacring a chopped down version of the Star Wars theme in a school assembly. Then the music teacher left and so did the trombone from my life.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Would anyone know if the kit from Gear4Music is any good?

Specifically, and slightly niche, would a £200 xylophone be a decent instrument, or more the ‘toy’ end of the market?

Bing bong

Featuring 37 high-quality mahogany bars, this three-octave xylophone gives you a bright sound that's ideal for classrooms and orchestras. Its colourful voice enhances the sound of any ensemble

…the bit about classrooms may of got me unnecessarily spooked…

Think I have bought some bits from there and they were ok - no problems. Don't know anything about the kit you are interested in but you might look at GAK too. Definitely found them helpful.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Would anyone know if the kit from Gear4Music is any good?

Specifically, and slightly niche, would a £200 xylophone be a decent instrument, or more the ‘toy’ end of the market?

Bing bong

…the bit about classrooms may of got me unnecessarily spooked…

Sod that you'll end up like this word removed...

Get these instead much cooler... (similar price range too!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2021 at 20:27, M_Allback_14 said:

Thanks all for the heads up - guitar wise I think I’m settled on either a squier telecaster or a gretsch streamliner, amp wise after today’s research I’m not too worried about as there seems lots of good options around the £100-£120 mark 

Payday can’t roll around quick enough 

Any news on this?  :)

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Any news on this?  :)

spacer.png

Yes - thanks for asking this came last week and if I knew how to upload pictures on here I would have posted sooner no doubt 

Guitar wise I stuck with Gretsch in the end and so far couldn’t be happier with it - I’ve picked it up every day so far 

The amp was from a brand I didn’t know anything about before I started looking - the number of functions on it is a bit overwhelming but the preset modes are more than enough for me so far - personal favourite at the moment is called “super crunch” 

7 hours ago, M_Allback_14 said:

Yes - thanks for asking this came last week and if I knew how to upload pictures on here I would have posted sooner no doubt 

The link doesn't work.  :)

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The link doesn't work.  :)

Grrr I’m not sure then - I checked the site issues section on here and I could only find one solution on offer as I only use my mobile to come on here so I’m out of ideas on how to try again 

Â