The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

The wonderful BBC is currently promoting a 'drummerthon' (sp) on behalf of Children in Need; this involves a rather strange Welsh weather presenter playing drums for 24 hours. Part of the programme involved him in a large room/studio with many other drummers on drum kits; someone at the BBC has deemed it necessary to go 'round and stick a bit of paper on the logo of the manufacturer which appears on the front head of the bass drum . Pity they didn't pay such attention to detail when employing :- Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris, Stuart Hall, Jonathon King et al.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, veloman said:

someone at the BBC has deemed it necessary to go 'round and stick a bit of paper on the logo of the manufacturer which appears on the front head of the bass drum . 

I thought they'd grown out of that sort of thing. I wonder if they'll have any guitarists playing along with them, and stick gaffa tape over the headstocks to hide 'Gibson', 'Fender', etc.? 

• Like 1

There do appear to be ‘rules’, you can have a clearly identifiable Nike swoosh on your shorts and shoes, but not on your shirt, unless there are eleven of you in the same shirt, in which case you can also have it on the advertising board behind you during the interview.

• Haha 1

Playing Tosca right now with the Opera Company here in Colorado.

My part is a bit of a snooze fest but I do get to listen to incredible music. Including 2 of Puccini's best arias, Visi d'arte & E Lucevan Le Estelle.

Pavarotti at his absolute finest. No-one in the modern era can come close to his breadth of phrasing. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Playing Tosca right now with the Opera Company here in Colorado.

My part is a bit of a snooze fest but I do get to listen to incredible music. Including 2 of Puccini's best arias, Visi d'arte & E Lucevan Le Estelle.

Pavarotti at his absolute finest. No-one in the modern era can come close to his breadth of phrasing. 

Can't get into opera at all. Although as I said in another thread, it's slightly more tolerable when not sung in English. 

Opera's a bit weird from an audio perspective, because it's not all about audio. They have to move and act too.

I hear a bum note, opera fans are seeing an emotional scene from a classic performance in their heads.

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg.0438341a2ea15f1f2c6fcd78ef6f8d57.jpg

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Can't get into opera at all. Although as I said in another thread, it's slightly more tolerable when not sung in English. 

I'm not sure I would be able to get into it unless I played it & only certain ones for me.

Puccini is the place to start - the tunes are great, the harmony is really dark and the orchestration is fabulous. It's like the very finest movie music. Singers warbling over the top of it can ruin it for sure :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Telecaster, so I joined a Facebook Telecaster group. Usual practice - you post a picture of your guitar, you get half a dozen likes and a few comments, and people move on to the next post. But the likes have gone crazy - and they're still going up. I mean, it's nice, but... perhaps I should auction it to them...? 

Screenshot_2021-11-22-19-40-54-43_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting me a new electric but I know that another acoustic would be a far better investment so I'm saving up for one now, should be able to afford one in a few months, I'm probably looking at March.

These are the two I've got my eye on at the moment, obviously have to try them out first but I have a feeling it'll be one of these.

Epiphone inspired by Gibson Hummingbird

Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird Aged Natural Antique Gloss

Taylor Acadamy 10e

Taylor Academy 10e Dreadnought Maple Neck

At present I think I'm leaning towards the Taylor, I've played the Taylors before and really like them, plus it'll be awesome to have a Taylor and a Martin sitting next to each other.

When I take the plunge I'm going to trade in my old Tanglewood (if they'll take it) its in fine condition apart from some fret wear but its about 25 years old now and it is only sentimentality that is keeping me from getting rid of it, getting a nice upgrade will help soften the blow.

Also, a few months ago now I bought an Ibanez TMB100 Talman, it was only £170 and I saw it as something just to knock about on, I ended up having two of them and they both broke within a month of each other so I really would not recommend them, to play on it was fine and it gave me a chance to learn and then by dying on me it meant that I could get a nice easy upgrade.

anyways I went for the good old Squire Jazz 

Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass Black Maple Fingerboard

Absolutely love it, plays so much nicer than the Ibanez (which you would expect seeing as it was almost £200 more expensive but the sound is vastly improved as well, now this I would highly recommend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

it'll be awesome to have a Taylor and a Martin sitting next to each other.

You have a Martin? Do show. 

I tried out an Epi Hummingbird, didn't like it, went for an Epi J200SCE: 

ej-200sce-jumbo-cw-gh-hd-7-60062.png

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You have a Martin? Do show. 

I tried out an Epi Hummingbird, didn't like it, went for an Epi J200SCE: 

I'll have a budget of around £700, £800 would be the absolute maximum, the Taylor is around £650 (£550 if I go for the model without the electrics which I am tempted by as I very very rarely plug into an amp) 

My only stipulation is that it has to be a dreadnought, the Martin is a smaller body, my two tanglewoods are both dreads so I basically want an upgrade on them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Also, a few months ago now I bought an Ibanez TMB100 Talman, it was only £170 and I saw it as something just to knock about on, I ended up having two of them and they both broke within a month of each other so I really would not recommend them, to play on it was fine and it gave me a chance to learn and then by dying on me it meant that I could get a nice easy upgrade.

anyways I went for the good old Squire Jazz 

Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass Black Maple Fingerboard

Absolutely love it, plays so much nicer than the Ibanez (which you would expect seeing as it was almost £200 more expensive but the sound is vastly improved as well, now this I would highly recommend.

If you're ever in the market for a bass again, I can't recommend Sire basses enough. Ridiculously good value for money. I own a £1200 Warwick Corvette, a £299 Sire V3 and a £400 odd Sire V7 and I've decided to gig with the Sire basses on several occasions. The tone & playability that you get for the price is top notch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Tele post just went through the 500 likes barrier. 

After 'Keep on Running' when presumably they had decent money coming in, Steve Winwood used a Tele. His previous guitar ( from memory) was a Harmony Meteor with 3 pick ups. Wonder if Harmony guitars have become valuable now ? Muff Winwood's bass Harmony had the pick up held on with sellotape ! Ace guitar that Tele' .

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I own a Telecaster, so I joined a Facebook Telecaster group. Usual practice - you post a picture of your guitar, you get half a dozen likes and a few comments, and people move on to the next post. But the likes have gone crazy - and they're still going up. I mean, it's nice, but... perhaps I should auction it to them...? 

Screenshot_2021-11-22-19-40-54-43_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Because I'm bored I got slightly too interested in this...

I searched around and they're going for about 1300 euros in Europe and your colouring (Tangerine candy??) is very rare.

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Because I'm bored I got slightly too interested in this...

I searched around and they're going for about 1300 euros in Europe and your colouring (Tangerine candy??) is very rare.

I know. All north of £1000 on Reverb. I bought it off a mate for £500. 

Â