The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Quick question - is a Spark Amp worth getting with the ‘jam along’ app function? 

it looks quite fun and assume it’d make playing on your own (ooh Matron) a little more interesting. 

It is fun, yes. But ultimately it's a bit of a gimmick. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It is fun, yes. But ultimately it's a bit of a gimmick. 

Thanks @mjmooney - yeah was kind of erring on that side of things but was liking the idea of an online all-in-one amp and backing band to play along with, as well as multiple effects pedals too. 

its on offer at the moment under £200 so was toying with the idea as I’m not a serious player so don’t need a gig standard amp. 

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Thanks @mjmooney - yeah was kind of erring on that side of things but was liking the idea of an online all-in-one amp and backing band to play along with, as well as multiple effects pedals too. 

its on offer at the moment under £200 so was toying with the idea as I’m not a serious player so don’t need a gig standard amp. 

From what I've seen the jam along function is a bit of fun and looks like it could be a decent learning tool but ultimately I'm guessing it'll be pretty limited as to how much use it'll get.

The other functions look like they'll be brilliant (if not a little overwhelming at first) I think I'll play around for the first few weeks and then settle on a few settings that I like and mainly use them.

But I have been waiting 2 months for mine so I haven't actually used one yet, I'll give a beginner's update in a week or so, when I've (hopefully) received mine 

• Thanks 1

It does seem that there is a big problem with delivery times for Sparks (and possible pricing issues due to Brexshit). I was lucky to have got mine back in December. Might be worth looking at alternatives - I've heard good things about Blackstars, for example. 

This was a very good mate , Dave Ball, sadly passed away a few years ago. He had a deal with Blackstar and was very complimentary about them. I was luck enough to play with him many years ago .

• Like 3

On 02/04/2021 at 15:38, theboyangel said:

Quick question - is a Spark Amp worth getting with the ‘jam along’ app function? 

it looks quite fun and assume it’d make playing on your own (ooh Matron) a little more interesting.

I can highly recommend the Boss Katana amps.  I just run my .mp3 player into the aux-in when I want to jam along with anything.  Expandable onboard effects once you hook it up to your computer, adjustable power so you've a huge amount of control over levels, solid state so it doesn't weigh a tonne and it take pedals extremely well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

That a Sonex in the middle?  What's it play like?

It is. For years it was my only electric, so I knew no different, but I've since learned to prefer the neck on the Tele, so the Sonex rarely gets a runout. Nice loud humbuckers on it, mind. Surely you've seen this clip before? It's been on VT a few times. Me in the mid 1980s. 

Sonexes are going up in value these days. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

seriously considering putting an order in for this

Ibanez TMB100M-MWF

Ibanez TMB100M-MWF Talman Mustard Yellow Flat

I haven't played a bass since I was about 17/18, its only £179 so it is very low end but it should be more than adequate for what I need.

Anyone got any opinions?

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Ibanez TMB100M-MWF

I haven't played a bass since I was about 17/18, its only £179 so it is very low end but it should be more than adequate for what I need.

Anyone got any opinions?

Not really a bass player, so dunno about the Ibanez, but some of the cheap basses nowadays seem pretty good. When I was kitting out my retirement studio I bought a sub-£100 Precision copy from Gear4Music and I rather liked it. When I later inherited a 1969 Fender Mustang bass, I sold the copy, but I sort of regret it. The pickups were twice as loud as the Fender for a start.

Probably worth going into a shop and trying a few, rather than buying online. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Not really a bass player, so dunno about the Ibanez, but some of the cheap basses nowadays seem pretty good. When I was kitting out my retirement studio I bought a sub-£100 Precision copy from Gear4Music and I rather liked it. When I later inherited a 1969 Fender Mustang bass, I sold the copy, but I sort of regret it. The pickups were twice as loud as the Fender for a start.

Probably worth going into a shop and trying a few, rather than buying online. 

I was thinking about popping into town to try a few but to be honest even if I tried a few I would end up just taking a punt on one regardless because I wouldn't really know what what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2021 at 13:17, leemond2008 said:

Ibanez TMB100M-MWF

Anyone got any opinions?

Coming in too late for this now but in terms of budget bass, I love my Sterling Sub-Ray.

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I weakened. Always wanted a Gretsch. The missus only tutted and eye-rolled a token amount, too. 

IMG20210623131946.jpg

You surely didn't tell her the price did you !!!!  There is an expression in cycling (but could equally apply to instruments) " My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bikes for what I told her they cost" !

Â