The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The iconic 80s keyboard. 

I hated it.  :)

I eventually did, too -- I think everybody did lol. I do remember how the DX brought percussive, metallic and tubular bell-type sounds to local band scenes. It was quite a revolution. Combined with fat Oberheim-style synths, there was this whole pallette you didn't need >$25,000 to re-produce in a bar. The synth I owned that I wished I'd never sold are my old Moog Taurus pedals. They are absurdly overpriced nowadays. Snobbery for "retro boutique" analog stuff, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The iconic 80s keyboard. 

I hated it.  :)

I swapped an Ace Tone GT-7 / Leslie 760 combo for the DX7 when it became available - just for the difference in portability. (Our drummer at the time built a single plywood flightcase for his entire double bass drum kit - it required the entire band to lift it...).

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I eventually did, too -- I think everybody did lol. I do remember how the DX brought percussive, metallic and tubular bell-type sounds to local band scenes. It was quite a revolution. Combined with fat Oberheim-style synths, there was this whole pallette you didn't need >$25,000 to re-produce in a bar. The synth I owned that I wished I'd never sold are my old Moog Taurus pedals. They are absurdly overpriced nowadays. Snobbery for "retro boutique" analog stuff, etc.

I don't miss my DX7 (or the GT-7/Leslie combo), but I regret selling my 60's Farfisa Compact DeLuxe and Vox AC50 tube amp head. And my Roland SH-1000...

• Like 1

Late 80's / ealry 90's I was messing around with a Korg M1 which was a fantastic synth. A real step up from the DX-7.

Even had a built in sequencer but I was using Steinberg Pro 24 on an Atari ST with an expansion pack!

Korg_M1_(2017-02-10_22.06.29_by_deepsoni

MT_88_07_steinberg_pr_large.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TB said:

I swapped an Ace Tone GT-7 / Leslie 760 combo for the DX7 when it became available - just for the difference in portability.

Well, that was the thing. Our keys guy (as in the vid upthread) actually got rid of a Fender Rhodes and got the DX7. Lightweight and versatile. But... oh so eighties. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/08/2023 at 17:36, mjmooney said:

Well, that was the thing. Our keys guy (as in the vid upthread) actually got rid of a Fender Rhodes and got the DX7. Lightweight and versatile. But... oh so eighties. 

He wasn't alone. The whole "analog cachet" thing was a few years off and people were just soooo stoooooopid -- and they still are, in different ways now. But those old electric Fender pianos weren't considered too cool in the mid-80s, I'm sure you recall -- and you could buy three of them for the price of one DX7 --- and about 70 of them for a Fairlight lol. But yeah, today, with 20/20 hindsight, we're kicking ourselves. Still feel bad that I sold my Moog Taurus pedals lol. Farisas had a rock solid bohemian reputation throughout the 80s and 90s because of artists like the B-52s and and Elvis Costello and Talking Heads and Stereolab using them, but not electric pianos -- until, finally, the hipsters "discovered" them finally and saved us all from our boring lives.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Synth/keboard players MIGHT find this interesting. I was extreeeemly lucky to play with this bloke in a B/ham based band in about 1973. He obviously went on to bigger and better things and now lives in the U.S.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, veloman said:

Synth/keboard players MIGHT find this interesting. I was extreeeemly lucky to play with this bloke in a B/ham based band in about 1973. He obviously went on to bigger and better things and now lives in the U.S.

Great stuff. Yes, he's so right about how the Yamaha patches worked best when layered with warmer pads -- exactly how I used it, with a Korg Poly-61 analogue instrument that was super phat and warm. I had a DX sound I programmed called "Five Beers" lol. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My wife is now in a band . Basically they had a karaoke on their Christmas works do and my wife like normal did a few songs. A couple of colleagues who have put together a band said they thought she was a good singer and asked her to join their band, so she did. It’s a covers band, not sure if it will develop beyond that but she’s played a couple of gigs in Lichfield and they have a gig booked at Lichfield and rugeley around Christmas time. They do band practise most weeks , and her voice has definitely improved since practising with them. One of them is very musically gifted and has helped her with how she presents her voice and what key to sing in. I was initially banned from going to watch her when I was drinking, but she wants me to go watch her next time in Lichfield again. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just won auction for used Korg Krome 88 keys £412 based on conversion rate. I think this is a good deal. Any keyboard people can confirm?

Edit: Thanks mod for moving to the right chat topic

Edited by Kiwivillan

Â