World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Does anyone think some countries are even more desperate to get to this world cup then normal simply because it is in Brazil?

I know you always would want to qualify for a world cup, but with it being in the spiritual home of football, it is making countries even more desperate.

i think its because the coporate world has caught up with international football, there will be a lot of money thrown about at the world cup, not just at the national teams / FA but individual deals that come off the back of being there, i'd guess its a huge motivation for say hazard and other players on the brink of becoming a global star, get himself to the WC, get on a pepsi advert, get a new boot deal etc

What makes Brazil the "spiritual home of football"?

The marketing department at Nike, probably.  If not that then the marketing department at the Brazilian Football Confederation, or possibly the marketing department at FIFA (who will no doubt only declare it the spiritual home of football until 2018 when Russia is the spiritual home of football or 2022 when Qatar is the spiritual home of football) but however you look at it, it's bollocks.  

There are a dozen or more countries where football is a national obsession it just so happens that Brazil have had the most successful team. Given that their population is easily more than double that of the next biggest country where football is the main sport then it's not entirely surprising, is it? 

• Like 1

Hard to say.  It's unfair to judge a team on how they do in friendly games, and this current Brazil team have one goal really. Win the world cup on home soil. 

What makes Brazil the "spiritual home of football"?

The marketing department at Nike, probably.  If not that then the marketing department at the Brazilian Football Confederation, or possibly the marketing department at FIFA (who will no doubt only declare it the spiritual home of football until 2018 when Russia is the spiritual home of football or 2022 when Qatar is the spiritual home of football) but however you look at it, it's bollocks.  

There are a dozen or more countries where football is a national obsession it just so happens that Brazil have had the most successful team. Given that their population is easily more than double that of the next biggest country where football is the main sport then it's not entirely surprising, is it? 

That's pretty much what I thought.

Surely England is the home of football, being as that's where it was invented?

Unless you ask Sepp Blatter who insists it originated in China.  

It's all bollocks though. Football is the world's game. It's home is everywhere it gets played. The rules might have been invented here but it was a gift to the world. 

Â