World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

This is actually the first time they haven't and the main reason is because they (Spain) asked to be included in the qualifiers.

Not true.

Italy had to qualify for the 2010 world cup. They were in the group with republic of ireland and bulgaria.

This is actually the first time they haven't and the main reason is because they (Spain) asked to be included in the qualifiers.

Not true.

Italy had to qualify for the 2010 world cup. They were in the group with republic of ireland and bulgaria.

Might be the second time then.  It's certainly a recent thing and was introduced at the request of the winners because playing two years of meaningless friendlies while everybody else gets competitive football is not the best way to prepare to defend your title.  

I think the hosts should always get automatic qualification.  A tournament without a home team would be shit and sometimes the country who hosts a tournament might not have a good enough team to qualify for it, but for the defending champions it should be a mere formality. 

Not true.

Might be the second time then.  It's certainly a recent thing and was introduced at the request of the winners because playing two years of meaningless friendlies while everybody else gets competitive football is not the best way to prepare to defend your title.  

I think the hosts should always get automatic qualification.  A tournament without a home team would be shit and sometimes the country who hosts a tournament might not have a good enough team to qualify for it, but for the defending champions it should be a mere formality. 

From Wikipedia

"Until 2002, the defending champions also received an automatic berth, but starting from the 2006 World Cup this is no longer the case."

Would love it if both Spain and Portugal failed to qualify for the world cup :)

Why? Not having the defending champions there would be horrendous.

Portugal too, they're a mainstay. Lets face it, England don't stand a **** chance of winning it, so my vote is always for romance.

Not true.

From Wikipedia

"Until 2002, the defending champions also received an automatic berth, but starting from the 2006 World Cup this is no longer the case."

Yep, was going to say I'm fairly certain Brazil had to qualify for 2006 and that was the first time it was done.

Don't know about the requesting it though, I'll take Rep's word for it

Absolute whiteout conditions in Denver. The Ticos must think they're in a frozen Hell

Guzan having no problems at all...25 minutes left

yep, pretty horrific conditions

usasnow-gif.gif?w=610

Edited by Jimzk5

Why did they play it in Colorado?

They probably thought that the cold and altitude would give them an advantage over C.R., but I don't think they accounted for a massive snowstorm. Both managers were offered to abandon the game 10 minutes into the 2nd half, but both declined. C.R. were losing at that point, so their manager might live to regret it.

Â