The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think we had the funds as in the club/Randy could have afforded to, we just opted not to use them which is very different.

Fair enough. I don't share that view, but I can't say it's wrong. My perception is that the club is carrying large debt, that Randy is running towards being a self sustaining entity, that various rules were strongly on the cards/are already in place to prohibit an owner just buying players.It is quite clear that moving towards break even/profit is an imperative for the club for all sorts of reasons.

A very good question BOF and a fair one, if I'm honest I guess it is one I'd not really asked myself and you are almost forcing me to do so.

I guess if I'm honest part of me is resigned to thinking that my view probably won't change or rather I won't need to change it as I doubt that circumstance will dictate that it should. I mean everyone makes mistakes don't they, I don't expect Lerner to be any different and people do learn from their mistakes but in my view Lerner has consistently shown bad judgement and in my experience in business and as a director people rarely go from having bad judgement to good judgement.

I didn't form my view of Lerner quickly, it wasn't an over night thing or even over a few months it was formed over a 2 or 3 year period and actually started a good 12 months before O'Neill departed. So I guess to answer your question I would need to see what I consider to be a similar period of what I consider to be good judgement/management/leadership/decision making call it what you will. Now obviously my opinion holds no particular weight, it is just that, my opinion it doesn't make it right.

Because ultimately you are right anything else other than a prolonged spell will more than likely result in me thinking it chance. For instance, I think he has got it right with Lambert. But do I give him credit for it? No not really, I think he fluked it and given the previous appointments I consider that to be a justified belief. I think the fans pretty much appointed Lambert that day away at Norwich despite the interest in OGS I think Lambert was Lerner's choice from that day forward because he desperately wanted/needed to get the fans back on side after McLeish. I guess you could say that in itself is good judgement.

I accept that I will at times probably dismiss some evidence of improvement as chance as a result, so in the short term yes I guess he is on a bit of a hiding to nothing with me. In the longer term, well my mind is open but it will take more than getting this or that right now to convince me after the mistakes he has made.

In terms of honesty and sincerity a very good post.

I think we had the funds as in the club/Randy could have afforded to, we just opted not to use them which is very different.

Fair enough. I don't share that view, but I can't say it's wrong. My perception is that the club is carrying large debt, that Randy is running towards being a self sustaining entity, that various rules were strongly on the cards/are already in place to prohibit an owner just buying players.It is quite clear that moving towards break even/profit is an imperative for the club for all sorts of reasons.

I still can't believe some find it so difficult to prescribe to this POV.

Its also enabling the club to become something very different, exciting and also one with values that the fan can almost reason with, rather than signing players who just want a payday.

• Like 1

It will take more than this summer to fully turn me around.

Extremely happy with what's going on right now but doesn't change how the clubs been run.

Funny how Lerner and Faulkner got dogs abuse for late signings etc, obviously all down to them...Shouldn't they be getting credit when signings are done early if they can get abuse for them being done late?

Really?

MON got dogs abuse.

It will take more than this summer to fully turn me around.

Extremely happy with what's going on right now but doesn't change how the clubs been run.

Funny how Lerner and Faulkner got dogs abuse for late signings etc, obviously all down to them...Shouldn't they be getting credit when signings are done early if they can get abuse for them being done late?

Really?

MON got dogs abuse.

I think the highlighted part is the most important.

But do you honestly think that Lerner and even Faulkner (whom I have both slated in the past, particularly Faulkner) have run any aspect of this club thinking 'I know this isn't right for it'?

Even though they have made stupid decisions (McLeish), they both want whats best for Villa and essentially, themselves.

But you have to give credit where it's due, things are starting to look up. 

• Like 1

I feel that good about things at the minute,  I may even start to warm towards Lerner a little bit!

I didn't want to mention it (yet) but I was going to mention that the way business was being done reflects well on Randy and Paul too! Tis only fair after all.

I think it's fair to give them credit.

Just like someone like Hutton would deserve credit if he came in and played a few games well. It still wouldn't change how shit he'd been previously.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a new phase where we're a competitive team again. I guess the real test will be when the likes of Benteke and Okore leave us for big money and what happens. We failed massively last time, hopefully we've learnt from those mistakes.

• Like 1

I agree to a certain extent, although it might just be that we have a manager that doesn't mess about and likes to get his dealings done nice and early so they all get in a full pre season.

Having said that, fair play to Randy Lerner for putting funds in already to allow Lambo to get his players in. This is the best I have felt about the Villa for quite some time. The manager is better, the players are hungrier, they are not money-grabbing mercenaries who are passed their sell by date, the signings are exciting and inspirational and not overpriced, the shirts are better and out earlier. All in all a good time to be a Villa fan.

To top it all off, my better half will be delivering a new recruit into the Villa family around the 15th of September!

• Like 1

Just like someone like Hutton would deserve credit if he came in and played a few games well. It still wouldn't change how shit he'd been previously.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a new phase where we're a competitive team again. I guess the real test will be when the likes of Benteke and Okore leave us for big money and what happens. We failed massively last time, hopefully we've learnt from those mistakes.

John mind the egg shells .... blimey that was a bit begrudging if you don't mind me saying.

look lets put our predudices behind us and wallow in what I believe to be exciting times ahead.

After all ...we all want the best for AVFC

Edited by TRO

I feel that good about things at the minute,  I may even start to warm towards Lerner a little bit!

Its amazing how a good decision comes right it changes attitudes i.e Paul Lambert

I have never doubted Randy Lerners intentions..... just his judgement.

we could all level that at ourselves, I guess.

I'm not convinced that anything has changed.

We have been praised in the past by other clubs for the way we handle ourselves when approaching players and managers. In this, I believe Randy and Faulkner have always been very professional.

The actual target, however, is sourced from the manager and his scouting network (with the notable exception being Ireland - but even that is debatable). Randy has always shown a willingness to back his manager's judgement - even if it was foolish to do so.

What has made a difference in this window (so far) is the targets Lambert has identified. By focusing on hungry players that actually want to be here, there is no drawn out negotiations as there has been in the past. Similarly, identifying them early means no "last minute" decisions to get the player before the window closes. He's made Randy and Paul's job that much easier, so full credit to him.

• Like 2

I think ultimately Lerner's well intentioned as an owner and cares, so if that's true, eventually things will go right. For instance, I think he understood that he doesn't know soccer/football, so he decided he'd give his manager control, a reasonable decision and one that he'd get ripped for not making. It's not his fault that MON was awful in the signing of players. The only thing that really jumps out as bad to me is Mcleish, as I have no clue what he was thinking.

You're a Blackburn supporter right?

Finally a non-Villa fan who gets it. Much appreciated.

Didn't see this till now, but yes I'm a Blackburn supporter, however I live in America so I could only see like 6 of their games this year cause none are on, so I followed villa and rovers cause I love lamberts approach

Randy is doing great. He's backing the manager, allowing him the freedom to bring in hot young talent like Okore. I think he's doing exactly the right thing.

But in a year or two if we're not in the top 5/6 and pushing for Europe I'll be on here criticising him for being a fool, bringing in a shit manager and allowing him to spunk the money on shit like Okore.

Why? Because I'm a cuuunt.

This is basically where I was at at the end of last summer. You're about a year behind, do try and keep up ;)

Right now I am extremely pleased with how the club is being ran. From top to bottom.

Fair play to Randy he has bank rolled these 3 signings and the club seems to have handled themselves professionally as always. He's made a good start so for this season, well done.

However being the fickle type that I am I still struggle to forgive the mistakes made over the past few years, first Houllier then McLeish, this will be difficult to forget in a hurry. Time and a lot more good actions will rebuild my and many others trust so keep going Randolph. It's a move in the right direction which can only be good for the club.

Â