The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Although how can he plough money in with FFP?
A lot is made of FFP, but I'm not convinced of its significance.

For one thing, unless we qualified for the CL, the only thing we'd miss out on is the Europey League.

For twos, a few years of finishing top six should grow our revenue significantly anyway.

For threes, unless we're taking the piss with it, there are bound to be imaginative ways of showing higher revenue to expenditure - enough to meet the criteria, you'd think.

I think Richard's ITK stuff is looking like the truth at the moment.
Gee thanks ;-)

Although you want to be careful there are those who will rip your tongue out for merely suggesting that

Richard did the person who gave you your info mention anything about Lerner looking for investment/to sell the Browns?

I'm not going to bullshit you and say "Oh yes I knew all of that ages ago" or make up stuff now to try and prove I had all this behind the scenes infor, I aint like that. So the answer is No I did not have that detail, to be honest I dont think anyone would have the detail of any business deals like this and at least not share it around such that it would get out in advance

I was , however, told that he would be backed well.

Sorry mate but thats complete garbage. The lot of it.

Lets see.

Proud History

Very romantic and appealing to owners at about the same level as what we have now. More ambitious new owners prefer to rewrite history. Case in point: Cardiff City.

Very good youth setup

Delightful but I don't see how that would attract a wealthier owner than Lerner, what we've seen elsewhere (man City, PSG, Liverpool) is that these dream moneybags owners come in and care bugger all about youth. They just want to show off to their mates by throwing money around on flashy new signings.

Big Fan base

Not as big as we like to think, very little interest outside the West Midlands and Ireland. International brand recognition is very poor and despite our best efforts in places like the US we still lag far behind the likes of Spurs and Newcastle. Fan base revenue generation is relatively poor and difficult to build for Villa.

Decent players

We are rebuilding a squad that nearly sent us down last year and one that doesn't have the same quality that we did in MON's final season with Young, Milner and others. A number of our young players I hope will come good but they aren't the finished product yet. Bent is our only real star in the current side.

Good manager

Matters little most new owners come in and remove the manager fairly quickly: Claudio Ranieri, Mark Hughes, Antoine Kombouaré.

Big stadium

With very limited development/redevelopment potential. We can only increase capacity at the North stand, the Witton is crippled by the road. The area has very low development potential, train service isn't great, parking is a major limiting factor but accessibility by car is excellent. In comparison, one of the most attractive parts of the Man City take over was the stadium. Brand spanking new modern stadium with massive potential for further development both to the stadium itself and the surrounding area. The club I believe owns a significant amount of development sites around Eastlands with an eye to additional future revenue to offset Fair Play rules.

Lets see.

Proud History

Very romantic and appealing to owners at about the same level as what we have now. More ambitious new owners prefer to rewrite history. Case in point: Cardiff City.

Very good youth setup

Delightful but I don't see how that would attract a wealthier owner than Lerner, what we've seen elsewhere (man City, PSG, Liverpool) is that these dream moneybags owners come in and care bugger all about youth. They just want to show off to their mates by throwing money around on flashy new signings.

Big Fan base

Not as big as we like to think, very little interest outside the West Midlands and Ireland. International brand recognition is very poor and despite our best efforts in places like the US we still lag far behind the likes of Spurs and Newcastle. Fan base revenue generation is relatively poor and difficult to build for Villa.

Decent players

We are rebuilding a squad that nearly sent us down last year and one that doesn't have the same quality that we did in MON's final season with Young, Milner and others. A number of our young players I hope will come good but they aren't the finished product yet. Bent is our only real star in the current side.

Good manager

Matters little most new owners come in and remove the manager fairly quickly: Claudio Ranieri, Mark Hughes, Antoine Kombouaré.

Big stadium

With very limited development/redevelopment potential. We can only increase capacity at the North stand, the Witton is crippled by the road. The area has very low development potential, train service isn't great, parking is a major limiting factor but accessibility by car is excellent. In comparison, one of the most attractive parts of the Man City take over was the stadium. Brand spanking new modern stadium with massive potential for further development both to the stadium itself and the surrounding area. The club I believe owns a significant amount of development sites around Eastlands with an eye to additional future revenue to offset Fair Play rules.

Agree with the original poster, a lot of cack in there mate.

Quick points to throw back, Man City care a great deal about the youth and have pumped a lot of money into that.

And Villa park and the surrounding area has bags of redevelopment potential.

And I'm not to sure how much history Cardiff have re-written other than changing a colour?

Lets see.

Proud History

Very good youth setup

Big Fan base

Decent players

Good manager

Big stadium

Chelsea got taken over how many years ago ? theyve now won every cup possible since ? and have they got a new stadium ? theres still ongoing talks about it this many years on so to say arabs/rich owners want a brand new stadium is a very poor argument.

Buying any NFL team these days costs a lot, even for a franchise ranked 20th most valuable in Forbes’ most recent NFL valuations. Last year’s estimate pegged the Browns worth at $977 million.

Theres obviously a lot to come but I doubt he'd be selling both sporting enterprises now, or at least it would be a while until he sells Villa. Its just extremely unlikely to do two such massive deals in quick succession.

I hope to see a continuation of common sense on wages- big wages only on quality signings and not on tat.

Heres hoping for a couple of marquee signings alongside the good work already done and a return to fighting for Europe in a couple of years.

I think this is good news for AV fans. Now he can focus on them. He inherited the Browns after his father died, so he was just keeping them out of respect for his dad. He never attained any success, but had a culture of losing since they returned to the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/haslam-interested-buying-browns-150028458--nfl.html

Looking at what has actually been said, I think it is very premature to make any assumptions (a) about what will actually happen and (B) whether it's good news for Villa.

At the moment, if he's in talks with a very rich person to bring new investment into the Browns, isn't that better news for them? I'd rather he was seeking extra investment input for Villa.

Looking at what has actually been said, I think it is very premature to make any assumptions (a) about what will actually happen and (B) whether it's good news for Villa.

At the moment, if he's in talks with a very rich person to bring new investment into the Browns, isn't that better news for them? I'd rather he was seeking extra investment input for Villa.

When he receives nearly a billion for all his shares, then he'll have more disposable income.

This is no long in the "premature assumption" stage. Randy Lerner has begun the process. He will not be the owner of the Browns much longer.

When he receives nearly a billion for all his shares, then he'll have more disposable income.

This is no long in the "premature assumption" stage. Randy Lerner has begun the process. He will not be the owner of the Browns much longer.

Well I can't find anything that suggests he is selling up - although he may of course be - could you share the extra info that makes you so sure?

Even if...you still have to make the assumption that he will put his extra disposable income into Villa and doing that with a club for which he hasn't been getting a great return on his initial investment may not look like very good business.

Well I can't find anything that suggests he is selling up - although he may of course be - could you share the extra info that makes you so sure?

Even if...you still have to make the assumption that he will put his extra disposable income into Villa and doing that with a club for which he hasn't been getting a great return on his initial investment may not look like very good business.

Look at Tony Grossi's twitter. He's been the Browns beat reporter for 30 years.

Several other sports outlets, like ProFootballTalk, have been reporting the same thing.

And I actually think this is more motivated to refill the family coffers. I don't think we should expect a 30 million player brought in anytime soon.

An interesting interview HERE with their maybe equivalent of Mat Kendrick (but much prettier) who is clear that no one knows anything about what is going on.

The interview reiterates how 'media unfriendly' Randy is and also the interviewee states one of her colleagues spoke to a Villa 'insider' in Portland who said AVFC is not for sale 'at the moment' but it has lost significant money over the last few years

Â