The Randy Lerner thread

CI

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

just bitterness. To be fair mcleish was not given a chance. he did no worse than Sherwood and Lambert

He hits the nail on the head though, we sold our best players and replaced them with inferior players and have done this for nearly 6 years now. This is the reason we're finally staring relegation in the face. The fans were fooled by Lerner's PR (Young and hungry) and thought we we had a plan. Anyone with a brain could have told you that it was a plan for disaster. 

I just hope people see beyond whatever manager we had at the time. It is no fault of Houllier, McLeish, Lambert etc etc. The finger of blame is pointed at one man and one man only and that is Randy Lerner. His sabotage of Aston Villa is nearly complete. 

3 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

He hits the nail on the head though, we sold our best players and replaced them with inferior players and have done this for nearly 6 years now. This is the reason we're finally staring relegation in the face. The fans were fooled by Lerner's PR (Young and hungry) and thought we we had a plan. Anyone with a brain could have told you that it was a plan for disaster. 

I just hope people see beyond whatever manager we had at the time. It is no fault of Houllier, McLeish, Lambert etc etc. The finger of blame is pointed at one man and one man only and that is Randy Lerner. His sabotage of Aston Villa is nearly complete. 

I am not disputing what he said just the part about calling fans delusional thats bitterness as fans never accepted him or Mcleish

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am not disputing what he said just the part about calling fans delusional thats bitterness as fans never accepted him or Mcleish

The fans were right not to accept McLeish. Ignoring the fact that he managed a rival, at the time we were a team who had recently been challenging for the Champions League and had been to Wembley twice in one season. We deserved a manager with a better pedigree than recent relegation and coming third in a two horse race.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I get that. And what he didn't say though is the fact that we employed McLeish and Grant which was yet another example of us going for the cheap option and a another symptom of Lerner's sabotage of our great club. 

I don't think he said anything wrong really.  He said fans are delusional "IF they expect the current team to be a force in the top flight."  He went on to clarify that we will not simply walk over and easily beat the opposition.  I think that would be delusional to think that.  Look at our FA 3rd round record in recent years.

Having said that, I can't say that I thought he did a great job as our coach and that he's delusional IF he thinks he did.  

42 minutes ago, rjw63 said:
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35409510

also thinks our fans are delusional

So the article basically says going down would be disastrous, but the problems have been caused by budget cuts, failed managerial appointments and the selling of our best players.  That has culminated in us being cut adrift at the bottom of the table and Villa fans are delusional for expecting the current team to be a force in the premier?  Show me one Villa fan who expects that!  And apparently we must give somebody the confidence to build instead of being critical. So it's the responsibility of fans (who pay their hard earned money) to give top management (who get paid a fortune) the confidence to do a better job, while not being critical.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If they had exactly the same squads to work with you could make that comparison.

Difference was Lambert was given a opportunity to build his squad Mcleish wasnt. listen i am not saying I was happy with the Mcleish appointment far from it, but from day one  a majority of fans did not give him a chance, he was doomed from the start. lambert was given support from the fans and "some" money, not a lot but he failed 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Difference was Lambert was given a opportunity to build his squad Mcleish wasnt. listen i am not saying I was happy with the Mcleish appointment far from it, but from day one  a majority of fans did not give him a chance, he was doomed from the start. lambert was given support from the fans and "some" money, not a lot but he failed 

Lambert's remit was to build a team to survive in the PL on peanuts. He bought some absolute garbage that wasn't fit to wear the claret and blue, but let's not forget he was under instruction to slash the wage bill, and that was (and continues to be) our problem in a nutshell. You pay peanuts you get monkeys. 

35 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Lambert's remit was to build a team to survive in the PL on peanuts. He bought some absolute garbage that wasn't fit to wear the claret and blue, but let's not forget he was under instruction to slash the wage bill, and that was (and continues to be) our problem in a nutshell. You pay peanuts you get monkeys. 

But Mcleish had to do the same but was given less time. My point is Lambert was just as bad as Mcleish but had a longer period to be crap

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But Mcleish had to do the same but was given less time. My point is Lambert was just as bad as Mcleish but had a longer period to be crap

I agree with you. Every manager we've employed since O'Neill walked has been a joke but considering what they've had to work with what chance did any of them have?

3 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

I agree with you. Every manager we've employed since O'Neill walked has been a joke but considering what they've had to work with what chance did any of them have?

I know mate Lerners the biggest issue in this club, thats why I think 90% of managers brought are detsined to fail until the mentality of the higher ups change

Is Grant having a laugh ? 

Lambert might have some milage to give on cost cutting but Grants argument is blown out of the water by the money we wasted on Nzogbia Given and Jenas under Mcliesh.He talks of costing cutting but one of our highest earners is still N'zogbia 

He can do one with his comments 

• Like 1

Â