The Randy Lerner thread

CI

You can't blame everything on the MON era.Find me a Villa fan who didn't enjoy the football 2006-2010.

What would you prefer 6th or battling relegation year on year relying on others to keep us up

Hopefully this won't take the thread down the "was MON good or bad" rabbit-hole, but quite honestly I didn't enjoy the football for the last 2/3rd's of the MON era. 

We were tough to beat sure - the football was effective but it wasn't particularly exciting or attractive. Defend the 18 yard area with 3 centre backs in the back 4, and give it Ashley Young and hope he can cross it to Carew. It was quite boring to be honest and I don't believe we would have ever really competed at the top of Premier league, let alone in the Champions League with those fairly antiquated, one dimensional tactics.

Why O'neil didn't use his plan B was the consistent gripe for years. The reason was he didn't have one - unless you count putting Milner at right back and sending Zat Knight up front to play as a target man.

Minor quibbles when you take in the fact we finished in the top 6 for 3 years on the trot. I'd take that any day over the appalling last 5 league seasons.

Any villa fan would take the league position....but there was more to it than that.....the money spent to achieve it for starters.

As Folski's post shows the money was not enough for 4th.

It was if it wasnt spent on some of the defo we bought. Unless you're saint we bought as well as we possibly could have?

Define 'buy as well as we possibly can'. Does it mean buying a whole team of Bentekes and no deadwood at all? Guess Hull, having spent over 40 mil, could have fought for top 4/6 if they had bought as well as they possibly could... 

We spent well enough to finish 6th, had the infrastructure, finances and wage bill for 6th or so and we finished 6th, on par with the resources we've had. Could we have overachieved? I think so, yes. But only for one single cameo CL appearance ( qualification, not a sure thing we would have got to the group stages at all ) before Man City threw the best part of a billion pounds at it. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 1

.....doesn't look like he is going anywhere soon.

just a bunch of wannabe's' star gazing.

...............I would like to buy Aston Villa too, so would over 40,000 others.

when you see clowns like Karl Oyston, Tony Fernandes and Mike Ashley run football clubs you think that Lerner isnt actually that bad

Thats scaremongering but.  The General election was won on it. :)

when you see clowns like Karl Oyston, Tony Fernandes and Mike Ashley run football clubs you think that Lerner isnt actually that bad

Any reason why you haven't mentioned the owners of Southampton, Swansea, Man City, Bournemouth...?

Any reason why you haven't mentioned the owners of Southampton, Swansea, Man City, Bournemouth...?

I assume because he's not trying to say Lerner is the best owner there is, but he's far, far better than the owner's mentioned.

• Like 1

Probably because that wasn't within the context of his post, at a guess

• Like 1

I guess he could have, but the list wouldn't have gone that much further. Now if you asked him to name all the shit/bad/wouldn't touch with a barge pole owners, it would probably be a much longer list.

Probably.

McLeish appointment was not out of necessity mind.

Neither was offering Lambert a new four-year deal. Lerner is quite simply a moron.

• Like 4

Probably.

Neither was offering Lambert a new four-year deal. Lerner is quite simply a moron.

and any necessity that required the actions we've taken were to fix his mistakes anyway.

and any necessity that required the actions we've taken were to fix his mistakes anyway.

Precisely, the fact he came in with an all-or-bust strategy only highlights why he shouldn't have ever bought a football club. I couldn't give a toss how good intentioned he was. Also took him about eight years to finally cede control to somebody who had a clue. His reign has been awful and I really don't understand the sudden current to sugercoat it just because we're on the verge of a takeover.

Probably.

Well I'm not really pro or anti but I'm not sure we can hold it against him that he has tried to fix his mistakes, nor that he made mistakes - we all do don't we ?

McLeish, yeah that was an awful appointment and did almost smack of being deliberately contrary.

But he's by no means been all bad, or as bad as some.

Probably.

Moron?

DumbF**k more like

Â