The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I see this one as Fox's selection. It looks like he wanted to get rid of lambo, had Sherwood waiting in the wings but needed to get permission from Randy. After Hull, was given permission and made the switch.

If at all true, it means the next few months will not only tell us about our manager and league future, but likely also whether our CEO is up to the job. Lerner clearly isn't capable (or interested) anymore, so our best hope other than being sold is that Fox is capable of running the club.

Couldn't agree more.

Think fox should have made his move earlier though.

"Proud history,Bright future"................yeah I fell for that one as well.

Randy Lerner......please sell up now.......take a loss......whatever.......just go & never EVER darken God's little acre with your presence!

I despise you.....you spineless,half hearted,American piece of poo!

Randy Lerner......please sell up now.......take a loss......whatever.......just go & never EVER darken God's little acre with your presence!

Riiiight. That last sentence demeans the rest of your post and invalidates any points you might have had, but each to their own.

I want Randy gone as much as the next sane Villa fan, but it's not as easy as just taking a loss in order to sell us. We will only be sold when we start performing better and are looking healthier in all other parts of the club, and it looks like there's more wrong with Aston Villa than what we see on the pitch. Something is not right, we just have to hope Tom Fox, Tim Sherwood and the rest of the people behind the scenes can sort it out. I understand why a lot of fans have lost faith over the last few years though, I certainly have.

Riiiight. That last sentence demeans the rest of your post and invalidates any points you might have had, but each to their own.

I want Randy gone as much as the next sane Villa fan, but it's not as easy as just taking a loss in order to sell us. We will only be sold when we start performing better and are looking healthier in all other parts of the club, and it looks like there's more wrong with Aston Villa than what we see on the pitch. Something is not right, we just have to hope Tom Fox, Tim Sherwood and the rest of the people behind the scenes can sort it out. I understand why a lot of fans have lost faith over the last few years though, I certainly have.

Fair point & my terminology may not sit comfortably with everyone but it certainly doesn't "demean" my views!

I agree that "Something is not right" what I & thousands of other Villa fans have every right to know is.....what isn't right & how the hell did it get/was allowed to get to the point where the club is so rotten that no one wants to touch it???

He's loaned us about £130m and he's given us about £130m - about £260m more than the last owner - according to the press, he's trying to sell us at a price significantly lower than he initially asked, I would imagine because he doesn't want to have to keep giving his money to the club. I think in terms of his intention he's been very very good - he's lost a fortune, in no small part down to the fact that as an operator of a football club, he's been terrible, but I think he knows all of that and again, I think he's trying to do something about it and do something that's beneficial to the football club - namely get out and let someone who does have money they can afford to spend on propping us up have a go.

But, I guess there's no point in putting that view forward when people see a club lose games and need a villain of the piece to blame their anger on - a good man, with good intention for the football club, trapped in a prison of his own making through poor decisions, having invested in a football club that is now almost valueless as a perpetual also ran in a league that's become cemented in place. I have genuine sympathy for him; we've all been in positions where we've tried something, put our best into it and come out realising we're in the shit and it's going to cost us.

All true - though It also looks like he's not been great at learning from his mistakes, which is odd, given his name. He's really suffered from not having people who have knowledge in the right areas to advise him, and a reluctance to make use of people who'd help him for nothing and offer useful insight and opinion. Expertise, basically has been absent from so much of what he's tried to do, and it's not clear he knows it. People that are good people is not enough. They need to be good at what they're appointed to do, and the appointments need to be for the right task. That's where he's got it horribly wrong , IMO.

totally agree with that.

Interesting for me is how the power game could be turning at VP.

If Fox was instrumental in terminating Lamberts reign, ( albeit did have some substance to do it)subject to getting permission from the owner.

It is quite the reverse of us losing 2 Ceo's during O'Neills reign in Fitzgerald and Cunnah

and one in Lamberts reign in Faulkner.

maybe there is nothing in it, but just seems spooky.

Who should we blame for it then?

Edit: "it" being the Lambert appointment.

Fans clearly aren't *blameless*. Unless we're going to pretend to forget that the fans were chanting his name in that Norwich game. 

At the end of the day, most managerial appointments end in failure. That's the nature of the game. Like politicians. It took 2 and a half seasons before a majority of fans came to the conclusion that Lambert was definitely the wrong man for the job, which isn't that bad a run all things considered. I don't think we really need to *blame* anyone for the Lambert appointment - most people were happy with it in the first place. It just didn't work out. 

EDIT: I suppose the comparison I left unspoken here is to the McLeish appointment, which I think Lerner can be, and should be, blamed for - he was obviously the wrong man for the job, and not just because he came from the Blues (although, who are we kidding, that hardly helped). 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Just saw this quote on Twitter from Delph:

“The future at the club looks bright and if we stay up and build for next season the fans will be a lot happier than they are at the moment.”

Hmm.

Is this a recent quote? He said something similar when he signed his contract.

Just saw this quote on Twitter from Delph:

“The future at the club looks bright and if we stay up and build for next season the fans will be a lot happier than they are at the moment.”

Hmm.

Is this a recent quote? He said something similar when he signed his contract.

Just found the full article, it is from today:

The former Leeds United man has been vital for the Villains in recent seasons and signed a new four-and-a-half year deal as Villa Park last month, with Tim Sherwood now in charge after Paul Lambert’s departure.

Interest from Liverpool and Tottenham did not cloud his judgement but perhaps the hope of staving off relegation did.

“When I signed my contract there wasn’t a thought in my mind that relegation was going to happen,” he said.

“If that was the case, you’d have argued that I wouldn’t have signed the contract.

“When I signed (for Aston Villa) we were trying to get into the top four but I’ve been in relegation battles since I’ve been a regular starter here, which isn’t something I am proud of.

“Each year, we’ve crossed the line and got through and I don’t see this year being any different. We’re confident in our own abilities and I’m 100% certain we will get over the line.

Villa are currently in the bottom three and will be looking to get the fans back on side under new boss Sherwood against Leicester in the FA Cup today.

The league is clearly the more important competition for the Midlands club and if they were to go down, they may have to cash in on Delph anyway.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/tottenham_and_liverpool_summer_target_admits_risk_in_contract_situation_1_3956889

Edited by samjp26

Lerner has a funny way of talking about Villa. Maybe he just has a funny way of talking in general?

For the moment it is all about survival and Lerner is hopeful Sherwood’s appointment will give everyone at Villa a lift. “While being forever conscious of the frustrations that we all suffer, we feel that a change that offers a positive, fresh approach will be very good for the club,” the American said.

“I know that Tom and many others at Villa worked very hard to recruit Tim in the face of severely limited time constraints and pounding pressure. More importantly, I know further that internally we remain focused and committed to challenges we face, and I am deeply appreciative for that.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/14/aston-villa-tim-sherwood-new-manager

It's sort of like he is vaguely aware he has some relationship with the club, can't quite remember what it is, but is very grateful that people with names like Tom keep him up to date with what is happening from time to time!

Â