The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Apparently it's been £62M to purchase the club, plus around £120M in equity and another similar amount in shareholder loans (which I believe were also converted to equity* prior to him announcing the club is for sale). Those are rough figures, but it's around £300M.

Edit: *Although I can't remember how much was converted

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Apparently it's been £62M to purchase the club, plus around £120M in equity and another similar amount in shareholder loans (which I believe were also converted to equity* prior to him announcing the club is for sale). Those are rough figures, but it's around £300M.

Edit: *Although I can't remember how much was converted

So, how much, after purchase of the club is taken out and all profits taken out, has he actually invested in the club?

Like I said, he'll get back the purchase plus some when he sells so, for me, that doesn't count as lost money. I'm interested to know how much money he will have left behind that he can't make back.

Well we haven't made a profit since he joined and i believe he took out one management fee of £10m, plus a few small interest payments in the first few years.

But if you look around you can find the accounts online and check yourself.

it seems like he will get every penny out of us that he can

Like all the pennies he's taken out of us so far? The guy has spent a fortune, of his own money, keeping the club solvent since he took over FFS. Yes, it's his bad management of operations that means it's cost him so much, BUT this idea that him not spending money on transfers and cutting the wage bill is doing anything other than reducing the amount of his own money it's costing him a year is a ridiculous one. Go look at the financial reports for his tenure and try to claim that he's asset stripping to line his pockets. He's not. Even during the austerity measures he's been pumping in the upper limit he's allowed to by FFP

Yeah, some of the criticism is ridiculous. I wonder if anyone can name one person in the history of the planet that's put more money in to AVFC than Randy Lerner?

As for those having a pop at him trying to sell for as much as he can, what's wrong with that? He's entitled to try and make as much money as he wants to off the sale of the club. I'm sure when you sell your home, you don't just say "Yeah mate, you can have it for £10k on the promise you do a better job maintaining it than I did".

Awww... Boo hoo...A multi-millionaire buys our club, gets bored and treats it like crap while we all suffer watching it... and your worried about him getting his money back...

Last time I checked, when someone sells a house, there isn't the interest and hopes of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide to consider...

Who said I'm worried about him getting his money back? I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth.

Like all the pennies he's taken out of us so far? The guy has spent a fortune, of his own money, keeping the club solvent since he took over FFS. Yes, it's his bad management of operations that means it's cost him so much, BUT this idea that him not spending money on transfers and cutting the wage bill is doing anything other than reducing the amount of his own money it's costing him a year is a ridiculous one. Go look at the financial reports for his tenure and try to claim that he's asset stripping to line his pockets. He's not. Even during the austerity measures he's been pumping in the upper limit he's allowed to by FFP
Yeah, some of the criticism is ridiculous. I wonder if anyone can name one person in the history of the planet that's put more money in to AVFC than Randy Lerner?

As for those having a pop at him trying to sell for as much as he can, what's wrong with that? He's entitled to try and make as much money as he wants to off the sale of the club. I'm sure when you sell your home, you don't just say "Yeah mate, you can have it for £10k on the promise you do a better job maintaining it than I did".

You seem more concerned that Lerner gets his money back than the direction this club is heading thanks to his decision making and the poor way in which he's run this club.

Not true and I've not said such a thing. All I said was he's entitled to try and get as much money from a sale as he would like, am I incorrect in saying this? Is he not entitled to do that?

Bought it for £62m.

Put £250mill of his own money into the club, and took nothing out except that one-off management fee.

So spent £300mill in total.

Trying to sell it for £150mill, making a loss of £150mill on his investment.

and still can't find a buyer...

i find it weird when people think he'll make a profit from selling or he's taking money out of the club.

Bought it for £62m.

Put £250mill of his own money into the club, and took nothing out except that one-off management fee.

i find it weird when people think he'll make a profit from selling or he's taking money out of the club.

He bought the club for more than the original sum. That was just for Ellis's share of the club. It cost around £110-£120m in total. He will get that back when he sells the club. On top of that, he would have spent around £14m on Bodymoor Heath and even with that, I am sure I recall Ellis leaving money in the pot to cover some of that work. He's rebuilt the Holte Pub and done other ground work. £100m net spend on players.

So, overall, you could argue that bare spend is around say £250m. In his 8 years Villa would have had turnover of around £600m. Now, is someone going to tell me that all our turnover went on wages and outlays? If so, that means we will never earn a profit, surely? Not whilst being a mid-table team at best. If it's the case, how did Ellis manage to take money out of the club, build 3 new stands and, manage to still buy players and leave the club without any debt?

Edited by villarocker

Bought it for £62m.

He bought the club for more than the original sum. That was just for Ellis's share of the club. It cost around £110-£120m in total. He will get that back when he sells the club. On top of that, he would have spent around £14m on Bodymoor Heath and even with that, I am sure I recall Ellis leaving money in the pot to cover some of that work. He's rebuilt the Holte Pub and done other ground work. £100m net spend on players.

So, overall, you could argue that bare spend is around say £250m. In his 8 years Villa would have had turnover of around £600m. Now, is someone going to tell me that all our turnover went on wages and outlays? If so, that means we will never earn a profit, surely? Not whilst being a mid-table team at best. If it's the case, how did Ellis manage to take money out of the club, build 3 new stands and, manage to still buy players and leave the club without any debt?

The price of football absolutely skyrocketed just around the time Ellis was getting out.

Bought it for £62m.

The £60m was for the whole club wasn't it? The net spend on players has nothing to do with what he has put in. At one stage he was putting in £20/30/40m a season just to cover running costs because he'd allowed the wages to get so out of hand.

• Like 1

Bought it for £62m.

Yes and then some. The accounts prove it. 

You seem more concerned that Lerner gets his money back than the direction this club is heading thanks to his decision making and the poor way in which he's run this club.

Not true and I've not said such a thing. All I said was he's entitled to try and get as much money from a sale as he would like, am I incorrect in saying this? Is he not entitled to do that?

No I don't think he does. He has a responsibility to us not to his bank account.

Can you now sack yourself please.

He's been trying to for a year or so!

The head of the Lerner out campaign is Randy Lerner.

Our problem isn't that Lerner doesn't want us; it's that nobody does.

I'm not sure he does want to sell as much as people think.

No I don't think he does. He has a responsibility to us not to his bank account.

To suggest a man is not entitled to try and make as much money as he can from the sale of something he owns is ridiculous, so we fundamentally disagree. 

I think he does. I think he doesn't want us any more than anyone else does. Why would anyone want to keep us, we cost a fortune to run, we're not sexy and we're no fun, It's like having a vintage Morris Marina that constantly needs new parts.

To suggest a man is not entitled to try and make as much money as he can from the sale of something he owns is ridiculous, so we fundamentally disagree.

That's because you view a football club as an everyday object.

I think he does. I think he doesn't want us any more than anyone else does. Why would anyone want to keep us, we cost a fortune to run, we're not sexy and we're no fun, It's like having a vintage Morris Marina that constantly needs new parts.

I think he wants to sell but I don't think he wants to sell as much as some think. I don't think he's desperate. I think he's happy to continuing trying to scrape by on the cheap until he gets the large amount of money he's after.

That's because you view a football club as an everyday object.

Can you find a quote of me saying that? Or are you just putting words in my mouth as well as being embarrassingly poor at reading comprehension?

Certainly not at the price he is requesting for the club.

Â