The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The memories and re-writing of the MON era is proper funny.

People would like to believe MON was the messiah and he got sacked / left because the little plucky guy was standing up to the owner.

Don't buy it and never will, anyone could have got 6th with the money he wasted and yes I realise we are currently living in his fantastic legacy he left us with the Villa park engraver having RSI tests and treatment and all his signings just keep on giving....

It's as simple as he got found out, he is no better than an alladyce or Souness in reality. If people think it was about Parker and Bent, you are in a dream world. It was more likely Titus Bramble and Steve Marlet on 45 k a week each for 4 years.

Lol. All his best signings have been sold.

We are much worse off without O'Neill. The evidence since he left proves this beyond any dispute.

I suppose the way MON was immediately snapped up by the likes of Real Madrid, Liverpool and Chelsea jobs confirms that. If he was shit he would have sat in his arse for a while waiting for the right big job to come along at a nothing relegation threatened club up by Scotland.

The evidence since he left proves this beyond any dispute I think you need a reality check.

MON is an excellent man manager with a terrible track record for transfers. He utilises his preferred 11 99% of the time and can be very difficult when challenged.

The reason he looks like a messiah now is because we have a clueless **** in charge who is likely to lead us into the Championship.

I hope Mark Hughes was holidaying in Afghanistan with his family and that is why RL has been away.

People would like to believe MON was the messiah and he got sacked / left because the little plucky guy was standing up to the owner.

Don't buy it and never will, anyone could have got 6th with the money he wasted and yes I realise we are currently living in his fantastic legacy he left us with the Villa park engraver having RSI tests and treatment and all his signings just keep on giving....

It's as simple as he got found out, he is no better than an alladyce or Souness in reality. If people think it was about Parker and Bent, you are in a dream world. It was more likely Titus Bramble and Steve Marlet on 45 k a week each for 4 years.

We are much worse off without O'Neill. The evidence since he left proves this beyond any dispute.

Thats a very narrow minded view imo. Sure results have gone downhill, but the club is much more stable financially.

Thats a very narrow minded view imo. Sure results have gone downhill, but the club is much more stable financially.

Are we? Why do we have to reduce the wage bill still? Why can we not invest to help the squad through a difficult season? Why have we sold our best players and not replaced them?

MON is an excellent man manager with a terrible track record for transfers. He utilises his preferred 11 99% of the time and can be very difficult when challenged.

er no. He’s got a mixed track record in transfers at Celtic and Villa (for every Milner we have Marlon Harewood). Would say he had a pretty good record at Leicester; Lennon, Savage, Izzett, Guppy, etc, etc

Now if you said it was the wages he offered then I might not disagree...!

The problem we have is that none of us know exactly what we are paying out on players wages, it is all guess work. Part of me thinks that surely our wage bill can't be that big now, with the dross that we've been left with? But the other part of me thinks we're still carrying the likes of Ireland, Beye, Heskey, Dunne, Warnock, Collins on big contracts, all of whom I would clear out of the club if I was in charge.

Are we? Why do we have to reduce the wage bill still? Why can we not invest to help the squad through a difficult season? Why have we sold our best players and not replaced them?

Agree with Richard. We are in creating a product that won’t have the fans turning up. League position down; less money. Diminishing crowds; less money. Less merchandise; less money.

Randy’s lost his nerve imo, and is acting more like Doug than a go ahead business man with balls.

The problem we have is that none of us know exactly what we are paying out on players wages, it is all guess work. Part of me thinks that surely our wage bill can't be that big now, with the dross that we've been left with? But the other part of me thinks we're still carrying the likes of Ireland, Beye, Heskey, Dunne, Warnock, Collins on big contracts, all of whom I would clear out of the club if I was in charge.

If wages and money were such an issue, why did we sell Milner on less money and then sign Ireland on more money. This was the doing of the board.

Christ, really?

Next you'll be telling me "that's the way the game is now". Well I'm sorry, but no. Just no. Bollocks. I'm not having it. We're not **** Portsmouth and if I hear "at least we're not Leeds" I'll blow an artery.

The club has shown its great at wasting money;

poor signings:

Hutton, N’Zgobia, Makoun

Wasting money on wages:

Ireland, Jenas

Wasting money on hiring and firing managers and staff:

Houllier/McAllister, McLeish

Reducing revenue through appointment of unpopular managers

Who needs MON when you can do it yourself!

Sure results have gone downhill, but the club is much more stable financially.

The CEO is saying we can reach Europe and the manager is saying he still has to reduce the wage bill. The cloudy thinking about what Lerner's money can realistically buy, that we can now see has always been at the heart of the Lerner "project", is still there and is if anything getting worse.

The club has shown its great at wasting money;

poor signings:

Hutton, N’Zgobia, Makoun

Wasting money on wages:

Ireland, Jenas

Wasting money on hiring and firing managers and staff:

Houllier/McAllister, McLeish

Reducing revenue through appointment of unpopular managers

Who needs MON when you can do it yourself!

Good point, at least when MON was wasting some money we weren't a joke of a club.

Mon has been gone for 18 months now and we're still pissing away money.

I wouldn't call Makoun a poor signing. He never really got a chance.

I am sure if we were talking about MON people would go; Harewood/Routeledge/Maloney what a poor signing. Would someone say “they were never given a chance”?

Makoun was a poor signing. He wasn’t and isn’t what Aston Villa need. We have wasted a fortune on him.

Â