The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I don't think this is true. They had an offer of £14m accepted and Poyet was still hopeful of completion even after they signed Rodwell for £10m.

Edit - And Leicester not having an offer accepted is essentially the same as us not having a contract offer accepted.

Edited by ArteSuave

Who cares how much we spent?

We improved the squad no end.

Chelsea spend a relatively low net amount and Man U spent a stupidly high amount.

Chelsea signed players on a par with Man U, at a minimum.

In summary, Net spend <> success

You are absolutely correct it is spend on wages that = success on the pitch.  Spend on transfer fees can be a little misleading.

I'd like to see something similar for net spend - more meaningful.

Why?

A team buying one player for 20m and selling five for 20m suggests the team has done poorly, the figures the opposite way suggest they have done well. It isn't always the case. Gross expenditure shows how much has been used for transfers and gives a much better view on how ambitious a team might have been, have they over/under spent.

• Like 1

To be fair, Lerner could buy us Lionel Messi and some posters would still dream up a way to criticise him for it (or conveniently give someone else the credit instead).

I think we've had a pretty decent transfer window from what I've seen so far, with the Cleverly deal being a nice dusting of icing on the cake. Our team looks totally different now and we didn't sell Vlaar.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

To be fair, Lerner could buy us Lionel Messi and some posters would still dream up a way to criticise him for it (or conveniently give someone else the credit instead).

I seriously doubt this. I just want to make sure that any struggle we may encounter this season isn't entirely blamed on hurr durr Lamberk as usual.

I think we've had a pretty decent transfer window from what I've seen so far, with the Cleverly deal being a nice dusting of icing on the cake. Our team looks totally different now and we didn't sell Vlaar.

I agree, we've done well in spite of lack of funding.

Fans need to get real we work in a world of three year losses now and ours is huge. If we want to spend more and we all do we have to earn more it's that simple.

I hope fox manages this

Winning football fixes this.

Unfortunately, this is a "chicken and egg" thing: Can't make money without winning, can't win without first spending money.

• Like 3

Exactly which leads you back to the rules we can't spend more than x to get a winning team so we need to do it without spending what we would like right now.

No point moaning about it but if we want to progress we should stop the moaning as it can't change right now and that will help having a united supporter base.

I'm all up for selling naming rights to make some cash but i fear even for that we need to be more successful

So after 4 awful years he decides to sell the club and we follow that up by hiring a good assistant manager, a good CEO, changing the transfer business to allow more experience to be signed and start signing key players to new deals.

Has the fact it seems no one is interested in buying the club shocked Lerner into running us properly again?

Hopefully if this continues we should more attractive next summer.

So after 4 awful years he decides to sell the club and we follow that up by hiring a good assistant manager, a good CEO, changing the transfer business to allow more experience to be signed and start signing key players to new deals.

Has the fact it seems no one is interested in buying the club shocked Lerner into running us properly again?

Hopefully if this continues we should more attractive next summer.

I'd love to credit Randy with all that - but I don't think it was his good decision making:

- Lambert would have hired Keane

- Our former CEO left, so this decision was forced. And let's face it - any half decent CEO could hardly make the club worse.

- Transfer targets are surely left to Lambert. He has ditched the "young and hungry" but the budget hasn't really changed.

- We signed key players to deals before (see Benteke) and we still have some coming off contract this year (Vlaar, Delph, and possibly Grealish) so not much has changed there.

Â