The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Absolute propaganda from Faulkner as usual. We are miles away from Europe, literally and in a footballing sense.

It just proves he has no idea about our club.

He either needs sacked / replacing or **** the entire ownership and management out.

Either way I don't mind.

Be interesting to see if Mcleish shares the view of Faulkner. I very much doubt it and I very much doubt he will appreciate Faulkner coming out with unrealistic bollocks.

Having lost two of our best players in the summer and not replaced them with anything like the same quality it was always going to be tough to finish top 8 never mind top 5/6. A task not helped by yet another poor managerial appointment.

Be interesting to see if Mcleish shares the view of Faulkner. I very much doubt it and I very much doubt he will appreciate Faulkner coming out with unrealistic bollocks.

Very true. Given the word from the club at the time of the appointment/before the season that we were still aiming to reduce the wage bill and hence meet the forthcoming UEFA wages/revenue guidelines etc, this really is baffling from Faulkner. Can't make up my mind as to whether he is extremely naive and thinks his statement will appease some of our support or is simply an absolute moron who has no idea what is going on.

Player for player our squad should be battling for a 7th/8th place finish imo. Team selection and nervous negative football are going to make that unlikely unless the manager addresses the above two issues.

So PF isn't too far away with his expectations, but AM's current mindset is doing the board no favours imo.

Player for player our squad should be battling for a 7th/8th place finish imo. Team selection and nervous negative football are going to make that unlikely unless the manager addresses the above two issues.

So PF isn't too far away with his expectations, but AM's current mindset is doing the board no favours imo.

If they did their research the board can hardly be surprised that his negative football is going to hold us back. A shit managerial appointment from a shit board.

I've just read the inimitable Steve Wade's 'Something for the Weekend' article for this week (click here).

In this he states:

It is a sickening feeling to realise that you've been had, and having to listen to recycled Ellis speeches adds to that feeling. The only inference I can possibly reach, is that Randy has reached exactly the same conclusions as Doug, that the Villa brand is stubbornly resistant to all attempts to make it grow, no matter how much money anyone invests. It seems that Lerner's little experiment of combining big investment with a top manager, just proved that the Villa brand has only a minority appeal.

It looks like Lerner reached the exact same conclusion that Ellis did in 1984, that Villa could only achieve success on the field if they had an unsustainable financial set-up. After Villa's last cup final appearance (2010) it seems that Randy has learnt the same lesson and has taken the same actions.

If that is true and Villa are now destined to be permanently stuck as the 7th or 8th best club in England, based on turnover, then that generation of aging fans who witnessed their last moment of true glory, look destined to be the last.

A very good analysis, except MON was never a top manager. Had we had a top manager at the helm along with the heavy investment, who knows where we could've gone.
Somehow it seems a bit futile still to be sniping at MON given the whole range of issues we are facing now.

A very good analysis, except MON was never a top manager. Had we had a top manager at the helm along with the heavy investment, who knows where we could've gone.
Somehow it seems a bit futile still to be sniping at MON given the whole range of issues we are facing now.
I'm not sniping at him, I'm just pointing out that I agree with the analysis except for a crucial point. Big investment means little if you don't have a good manager at the helm, just like how in today's game a good manager can only do so much without big investment.

I'm not sniping at him, I'm just pointing out that I agree with the analysis except for a crucial point. Big investment means little if you don't have a good manager at the helm, just like how in today's game a good manager can only do so much without big investment.

Agreed, it was a fair point you made.

Very true. Given the word from the club at the time of the appointment/before the season that we were still aiming to reduce the wage bill and hence meet the forthcoming UEFA wages/revenue guidelines etc, this really is baffling from Faulkner. Can't make up my mind as to whether he is extremely naive and thinks his statement will appease some of our support or is simply an absolute moron who has no idea what is going on.

I think it is safe to plump for the latter! :winkold:

It's bollocks. We are not reducing our wage bill to meet any sort of stringent Uefa guidelines as these will only matter if we make it into Europe, which we won't with a poorer quality squad.

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place. The fact is RL wants to drastically cut costs and try to turn a profit, which is fair enough. It's more the PR bullshit than the actual fact we are cost cutting that's the problem.

Although I do agree that their are several players that I would be happy to see the back of come the summer...

Dunne (55k)

Heskey (60k)

Collins (45k)

Beye (40k)

Ireland (72k)

Warnock (45k)

Petrov (50k)

367k/week (£18.85m/week roughly) on average (at best) players. What a joke. And before I get slaughtered about putting Petrov on here yes he has been one of the best players this season but apart from Gabby, Herd, Petrov, Given & Bannan all other players have been woeful so it's not really saying much.

Give the job to KMAC and get him putting the youngsters in as opposed to some of the "senior" players who are their on experience as opposed to merit.

It's bollocks. We are not reducing our wage bill to meet any sort of stringent Uefa guidelines as these will only matter if we make it into Europe, which we won't with a poorer quality squad.

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place.

So we don't have a good enough squad to get into Europe, so what's the alternative? We put players on huge money again, causing an even larger wage bill (again), and thus reversing the club's efforts to dig us out of our losses! IF we did this, and made it into Europe, we could find it all comes to nothing by getting banned from a competition that we've just wasted huge amounts of money to get into.

Man City got in at the right time and now want to show a trend towards reversing their losses. The monitoring periods for the FIFA FFP rules start now so I think it's too late for another team to do the same. Here's an article about it:

Just blame Platini for Man City's losses

The craziest notion is that they had any alternative. There is nothing remotely lunatic in Manchester City running up a £194.9million loss for the financial year ending May 31, nothing bizarre in a wage bill totalling £22m more than turnover. To argue other options were available in the quest for elite acceptance: that is the true madness.

It was this way, or die wondering. Manchester City either bet the farm on Roberto Mancini and this squad before UEFA’s financial fair play rules kicked in or they remained outside forever.

Across football in Europe, a giant drawbridge is being pulled up. City had one last year to get the right side of it, or risk permanent exclusion. Given Sheik Mansour’s resources, any owner of ambition would have done the same.

Continued within the link

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place.

So we don't have a good enough squad to get into Europe, so what's the alternative? We put players on huge money again, causing an even larger wage bill (again), and thus reversing the club's efforts to dig us out of our losses! ...

Being careful with money is of course important, but to make best use of resources it would be a good idea to appoint of a manager who has some idea on how football should be played. Especially to keep the fans reasonably happy and feel that at least there is an attempt at keeping up to an acceptable standard.

Â