The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I don't hate the man and find the distasteful personal insults truly truly pathetic and more of a sad low life reflection of the posters making them rather than lerner but while I thank him for his time, it is time to go. He's had good times & bad times and while im sure he has tried, best intentions will only get you so far in a game all about £££££'s.

I think he realised he couldn't give what was needed and has gotten us (riskily) into a sellable position and will step aside.

I wish things had worked out differently here for us and for him after those bright promises at the start of the new dawn that wasn't to be. A shame. I wish him all the best as a person but kind of glad he has the sense to move aside.

Very very true!!

• Like 4

one thing about the pub training, training facilities - these were Ellis plans - that Lerner pushed the button on - He didn't seem to have any of his own ideas - or if he did, he didn't have the drive to push them through.

I don't think Lerner is a bad bloke - he just knew nothing about football - but then wouldn't appoint a CEO who did ......we are all looking at $ $ at the minute - but arguable expertise is more important, as we aren't likley to get an owner who blow clubs out of the water with his money....[/quote

Ellis plans ? Dougs only plan was to elevate himself high enough into our consciousness to make us believe he was some great benefactor. If Ellis could have got away with changing our name to HDEFC he would have done so. He refused to spend any money on our training ground whilst turning his own office at VP into a replica of Imelda Marcos' bedroom. He drove past the Holte Pub every day for 20 years without giving it a second thought. The only thing at Villa Park these days sadder than seeing Nathan Baker in a shirt, is the sight of a lonely old man climbing up and down the stairs to his leather padded seat, because he has nowhere else to be.....the fact we still have a stand named after him turns my stomach.

• Like 3

If/when he goes there will be no hard feelings from mr, he did his best, made me believe we were getting back into the big time and will leave the club in a better way than he found it (off field)

I don't hate the man and find the distasteful personal insults truly truly pathetic and more of a sad low life reflection of the posters making them rather than lerner but while I thank him for his time, it is time to go. He's had good times & bad times and while im sure he has tried, best intentions will only get you so far in a game all about £££££'s.

I think he realised he couldn't give what was needed and has gotten us (riskily) into a sellable position and will step aside.

I wish things had worked out differently here for us and for him after those bright promises at the start of the new dawn that wasn't to be. A shame. I wish him all the best as a person but kind of glad he has the sense to move aside.

Very very true!!

Haha yeah I bet you two have never said a bad word about anyone at any point in your lives. How's the view up there on those high horses?

How did he do his best? Cutting costs to ensure his financial loss was minimal is doing his best?

my belief is that he cut costs to get us out the shit and be able to sell us on to someone who can have another go at driving us on.

the last 4 years have been dire, but if it was done so we can have renewed investment from a new owner, with different ideas, i believe the last 4 years will have been worth the pain.

Very very true!!

Haha yeah I bet you two have never said a bad word about anyone at any point in your lives. How's the view up there on those high horses?

Good trolling doesn't require personal insults, when you have to resort to personal insults to get a bite you truly have failed!  -_-

• Like 2

Or he recklessly spent in the first 4 years and then spent the next four years trying to claw it all back because mr plating introduced rules saying that he had to?

Yeah that's why he did it.

you have evidence to the contrary? 

as I've said before the goalposts have moved dramatically since randy bought us, both in terms of city and the FFP rules, don't see why you find it so hard to see why he might have lost interest or why you have so much vitriol for him, think a few people on here are in for a surprise if  /when we do get a new richer owner and we don't suddenly start buying a squad of £20m+ players

one thing about the pub training, training facilities - these were Ellis plans - that Lerner pushed the button on - He didn't seem to have any of his own ideas - or if he did, he didn't have the drive to push them through.

I don't think Lerner is a bad bloke - he just knew nothing about football - but then wouldn't appoint a CEO who did ......we are all looking at $ $ at the minute - but arguable expertise is more important, as we aren't likley to get an owner who blow clubs out of the water with his money....[/quote

Ellis plans ? Dougs only plan was to elevate himself high enough into our consciousness to make us believe he was some great benefactor. If Ellis could have got away with changing our name to HDEFC he would have done so. He refused to spend any money on our training ground whilst turning his own office at VP into a replica of Imelda Marcos' bedroom. He drove past the Holte Pub every day for 20 years without giving it a second thought. The only thing at Villa Park these days sadder than seeing Nathan Baker in a shirt, is the sight of a lonely old man climbing up and down the stairs to his leather padded seat, because he has nowhere else to be.....the fact we still have a stand named after him turns my stomach.

Im not defending him. Just saying that the plans for the training upgrade and the holte pub were done by Ellis - He couldn't push them through because he didn't have the finance. Lerner made vague noises about Villa village and the north stand but nothing ever happened - yet when the ground work was done for him - he was happy to finance someone elses ideas' - not saying that's good or bad just an observation.....

Very very true!!

BJ. Off your meds? You liked this post at the top of the page and then Rip it later. There's drugs for that rapid cycling thing, at least there are here in the states.

My take on it all is.....He was told by so many that he didn't need to know about football, that Martin O'Neill knew all there is to know about football and in believing this cost 2 CEO'S Their jobs. He empowered Mon to do the job and when he realised that we had paid over the odds for average players and that there was an unlikely chance of a sell on fee for the majority....It was all over.

Faulkner was put in as his eyes and ears....no more no less.

Randy Lerner lost his appetite for Villa when the O'Neill saga came to a close.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Very very true!!
BJ. Off your meds? You liked this post at the top of the page and then Rip it later. There's drugs for that rapid cycling thing, at least there are here in the states.

I liked it because it was so bad.

How did he do his best? Cutting costs to ensure his financial loss was minimal is doing his best?

my belief is that he cut costs to get us out the shit and be able to sell us on to someone who can have another go at driving us on.

the last 4 years have been dire, but if it was done so we can have renewed investment from a new owner, with different ideas, i believe the last 4 years will have been worth the pain.

Did it have to be like this to get new owners? The last 3 years we've come extremely close to relegation.

Did it have to be like this to get new owners? The last 3 years we've come extremely close to relegation.

So bad that 11 people liked it. They must agree with some things.

Ive just been checking Bank of America stocks historically. When Randy bought Villa they were trading at three times todays value. I'm not defending Randy because he's made some awful mistakes, but if you add his investment losses to his divorce settlement he has taken a huge hit. Just a bit of background to his current mindset.

Ive just been checking Bank of America stocks historically. When Randy bought Villa they were trading at three times todays value. I'm not defending Randy because he's made some awful mistakes, but if you add his investment losses to his divorce settlement he has taken a huge hit. Just a bit of background to his current mindset.

He a big share holder in BOA?

He a big share holder in BOA?

When BoA agreed to take over MBNA, Randys' payout was (iirc) in the form of BoA stock.

Â