The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1.Perhaps he wants out.

2.Perhaps he wants to run us into the ground.

3.Perhaps he is an incompetent idiot.

4.Perhaps he is running us in a way he feels is best for the future.

I think it has to be one of the 4, can't think of any others.

Everything else is utter, total, illinformed (since we have never heard him say) guesswork.

SO, for my own bit of ill informed guesswork - it is unlikely that he would (2) willingly run us into the ground.

It is possible that he and all who advise him are (3) incompetent idiots -as I suspect most if not all of us would be if we were suddenly given the job - but it by no means certain.

He could be (1) wanting to sell, in which case unless he is an idiot he would do best by doing (4).

Or he could be doing (4).

So (1) and (4) amount to the same - good - thing, (2) is unlikley in the extreme and (3) is possible.

Those who think (1) and (4) should be reasonably content.  Those who think (3) may as well give up, since if he is an idiot you are stuck with it !

My suspicion is there is a touch of (1), a touch of (3), and a touch of (4).........like absolutely every other owner in the world.

• Like 1

I think the figures are nearly accurate personally, I had a nagging feeling that the funds given per year were roughly the same and I wanted to point this out as evidence to expect 15-20m in the summer but with a near full squad we SHOULD be expecting 1 - 4 players in the summer for much higher figures than before and therefore one would hope a higher quality of player than someone already in the first 11.

If that doesn't happen (the money) I'll blame Randy, if that doesn't happen (the amount of players being greater than 3 or 4) then I'll blame Lambert. If it does happen I will be happy with the plan as it is what I have thought would happen for sometime as we will be slowly building.

Another interesting fact is the players brought are mostly worth the same or more than what we paid for them so any sales of players no longer needed may actually raise some revenue for once.

In short the people like me are either going to be vindicated or pissed off with Lerner like some already or there will be a growing amount of people with a lack of confidence in Lambert.

As a target for where we finish I will be happy with being 3 points of 10th place whatever position that is.

Howard Hodgson on Twitter saying he's been removed from the directors area because of his opinions on Lerner.

Influential character is Howard and has sufficient business acumen, not to be hoodwinked.

If all was genuine and his opinions were wrong, you would think they would have the character to sit him down have a chat and enlighten him.....all is very worrying.

• Like 1

as evidence to expect 15-20m in the summer but with a near full squad we SHOULD be expecting 1 - 4 players in the summer for much higher figures than before and therefore one would hope a higher quality of player than someone already in the first 11.

The wages we offer will really dictate the quality of player we can bring in.

The type of people that are capable of taking over our club and making a success of it ( assuming it is for sale) are unlikely to be known to the likes of us.

not privvy to Howards contacts but unlikely to move in these kinda circles....

I would not expect him to know serious prospects, but just ambitious "fly by nights"....in relative terms.( not meant in a derogatory sense)

Edited by TRO

I think that Randy bought Villa hoping he could take it up to champions league level, but assured that even if this didn't happen he had a rock solid investment. I believe that the profligate spending which he allowed genuinely shocked him when he became experienced enough to compare our huge wage bill with our very average playing squad.

I seem to remember Krulak saying that Lerner saw his "custodianship" as a ten year deal, at which point if his plans hadn't come to fruition he would move on and let someone else become "custodian". This would make sense as Randy owned Cleveland Browns for exactly ten unsuccessful years before selling.

My view of RL's position is this …. He clearly understands that in order for Aston Villa to become a top six club again he would have to spend considerably more money than he is either willing or able to do. If this is indeed his current opinion then although he will only have completed eight years of "custodianship" by this summer, I believe he would be very happy if the right buyer came along with a price that reflected his valuation of AVFC. If that offer isn't forth coming then we will almost certainly see more of the same frugal housekeeping over the next couple of seasons until such time as a buyer is found.

Nothing that you or I say as fans will alter Randy's mindset …. He has already given up on Villa as a project (imo). All we can do as fans is to support the team as vocally as possible for as long as it takes for Randy and his advisors to resolve this hiatus. UTV! 

1.Perhaps he wants out.

2.Perhaps he wants to run us into the ground.

3.Perhaps he is an incompetent idiot.

4.Perhaps he is running us in a way he feels is best for the future.

I think it has to be one of the 4, can't think of any others.

Everything else is utter, total, illinformed (since we have never heard him say) guesswork.

SO, for my own bit of ill informed guesswork - it is unlikely that he would (2) willingly run us into the ground.

It is possible that he and all who advise him are (3) incompetent idiots -as I suspect most if not all of us would be if we were suddenly given the job - but it by no means certain.

He could be (1) wanting to sell, in which case unless he is an idiot he would do best by doing (4).

Or he could be doing (4).

So (1) and (4) amount to the same - good - thing, (2) is unlikley in the extreme and (3) is possible.

Those who think (1) and (4) should be reasonably content.  Those who think (3) may as well give up, since if he is an idiot you are stuck with it !

My suspicion is there is a touch of (1), a touch of (3), and a touch of (4).........like absolutely every other owner in the world.

Think youre missing the obvious one - He's got bored and forgot about us... 

Do you all remember that morning when we heard an American billionaire was buying the club. Remember how good it felt. Had anyone of us heard of Lerner before?

We will get this feeling again my friends. Have faith.

Â