Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Ultimately I don't think we've really lost out by not signing Sissoko on what, £60K a week and getting this guy in instead, which I think lots of us were worried about in January.  He's got lots to learn but the signs are good.

Especially when they play Sissoko as an ACM, even though he's never played there before.

I like the way he immediately moves into space after passing the ball.

It's so simple but in the past I've seen our players play a pass and then just stand there.

Bonus: He didn't put in any reckless tackles and get carded. He's learning! 

This has been one of our major problems over the past few years. Last season it was positively embarrassing, to the point that when Keane came in on loan he actually had to tell the players where to run. It's so basic as well. 'Pass and move, the fabric of the game' as Martin Tyler likes to repeat. We've been much better at it as a team this year, thank goodness, although there's still room for improvement.

Couldn't agree more with this. It was so frustrating to watch when the team were static and no one was looking for the pass. I know we're a long way from this finished article but we've improved a lot and have been occasionally putting some nice moves together - it's one of the main reasons a lot of other fans seem to think we can play good football. I still think we still have a problem when the other team don't allow us possession in midfield, we need to improve our passing and up the tempo but can this midfield raise their game to that level though?

Anyway back to Sylla, liking his energy, tackling and passing the other night, hope he can continue to improve.

He always looks really uncomfortable, especially when passing. Not his biggest fan, but he played really well last night and he breaks up play well. That challenge on Sessegnon in the first half sticks in the mind.

If you're thinking of the same challenge as I did, I'd like to that again, even as a gif. I just remember thinking "what a magnificent tackle".

Also, I must admit I've been thinking of Sylla as a write-off when it comes to seriously contributing to any Villa success, that he was kind of going to end up as a slightly glorified french version of the fella we bought from some Swiss team that I can't even remeber now. But against Sunderland he showed that he might just come good. Very good, even. He could be the midfield battering ram that Delph has tried to be at times, but not really gotten the hang on.

I second what someone mentioned earlier, it's going to be interesting to see this young fella after a full 12 month blooding in this team.

Anyone got the stats for the % if games we've won when he's started

Started 4 Won 3 Lost 1 (W - Reading, QPR, Sunderland. L - Liverpool)

8 appearances 5 wins 2 draws 1 loss (two of these were 5 and 11 mins before FT)

Surely this says everything we need to know about this player. I know stats don't mean a lot but he makes us more likely to win right now. That's good enough for me

Ultimately I don't think we've really lost out by not signing Sissoko on what, £60K a week and getting this guy in instead, which I think lots of us were worried about in January. He's got lots to learn but the signs are good.

Especially when they play Sissoko as an ACM, even though he's never played there before.

This is why he stormed out of Newcastle training on Monday. Lucky escape. This day and age Lamberts philosophy of buy young and hungry players with right attitude appears to be the way forward.

Think he can prove to be a great player, lots of energy, strength and a good tackler. He's looked to be lacking in confidence in previous games and the start of the Sunderland game when it comes to attacking and being on the ball. I think after his great performance Monday night we'll start to see him take more time on the ball, be more creative and not just look for the simplest pass. Think he can be a great player for us

I'd be very interested to see the results if one of VillaTalk's famous statisticians could compare the number of points we've achieved with and without Sylla in the starting line up. Some of our most important results have come when Sylla plays.

I like him. He's a fantastic athlete with a great engine and a real hunger to win the ball back. I'm not too concerned with his creativity either, I don't think that's his game but I'm sure it will improve with age and playing with better players. We probably don't realise how big a step up it is in class for him either, a few months ago he was probably playing infront of crowds of 4-5000 too.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be a first team regular, we've still got a handy squad played for £1-2m instead of the likes of Sidwell, Makoun, Ireland and Reo Coker who cost us the best part of £25m !

It's amazing that this guy was plucked from Ligue 2 mediocrity. Great work from the scouts. Exactly the type of player we needed.

There's certainly quite a bit of potential in Sylla, he has played very well considering where he came from and it shows a bit that he's still getting used to playing in PL, hopefully full pre-season will do wonders on him. Sylla, Delph and Westwood could be our future midfield-trio but I wouldn't mind getting one more experienced midfielder for rotation.

lol, no point getting excited, if its true, he wont make the ounce of difference at all, he wont save us from relegation, just another arrogant french cu nt looking for the money, plus the fact hes young hes got as much experience as the smack rats in our youth set up, give it a couple of months he will go back to france on loan, somewhere like lyon

EDIT: cant see why you are all saying hes the DM we need, yes we need a DM, but we need one with experience, who can pick out a pass, lead the attack and turn a game around, that sort of thing costs money

next...

....Wow...

Wow. Sylla is looking like another shrewd signing.

Next season he will be a lot better. I still think we need another DM in the summer for depth purposes. Against decent sides we get dominated. We aren't even competitive. We lack an experienced central midfield player. Flamini was linked.. he would be a good pick up. Sylla will develop.. a good pre season.. learn the language.. less pressure football if we stay up and no relegation battle. He will come good.

Considering the level of football he was playing I think he has done extremely well and will be a lot better next season. We need more depth in midfield but don't you think priority might be an attacking midfield player because how many goals have come from midfield this season?

lol, no point getting excited, if its true, he wont make the ounce of difference at all, he wont save us from relegation, just another arrogant french cu nt looking for the money, plus the fact hes young hes got as much experience as the smack rats in our youth set up, give it a couple of months he will go back to france on loan, somewhere like lyon

EDIT: cant see why you are all saying hes the DM we need, yes we need a DM, but we need one with experience, who can pick out a pass, lead the attack and turn a game around, that sort of thing costs money

next...

....Wow...

Wow. Sylla is looking like another shrewd signing.

So much wrong with that post it hurts. "He'll go to Lyon" like Lyon are some second tier French team.

Â