Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

For a 22 year old lad who had never played above the French 2nd division until a few weeks ago given today was just his second start for us I think he did pretty well.

Overall from what we have seen of him so far I think he could be a very decent signing.

Delph will be back for the Liverpool game so its between Sylla and Bannan as to who will be dropped. Personally I'd start him alongside Delph and Westwood.

I'm not understanding the comparison between Delph and Bannan. They are very different players. Delph is more defensive, like Sylla. Delph does have an attacking surge in him, perhaps Sylla does too. So Delph is competing with Sylla for his place. Sylla has won the last two games so keeps the spot.

In terms of crossing and creative passing Bannan is considered better than Delph and Sylla, which is why Delph never takes the corners, and Sylla won't take the corners. N'Zogbia can take corners and cross the ball. He might come in for Bannan if Lambert decides to change the team to play counter-attack.

How do you work out that Bannan is more attacking than Delph? Sure delph has more energy defensively but in all honesty he is far more attack-minded than Bannan who either goes sideways or backwards 99% of the time.

Delph and Sylla offer more than Bannan both defensively and offensively IMO. The trouble is with bannan as was yesterday, he picks the short passes up out of defence then forgets to turn and play forward and if I'm correct he was the attacking midfielder on the pitch yesterday with Sylla and Westwood holding. NZog came on and did more in 15 min than Bannan did all game. Bannan offered nothing going forward so to say he's more attacking is just utter bollocks.

Looks to be a tidy CDM/CM for us, passes the ball pretty well, wants to win the ball off the opposition... Once he gets more settled and we are safer I'd think he will drive forward a bit more... So far I rather like the look of the lad! Could well be a  cheeky masterstroke considering he's been playing Ligue 2 football!

I thought he looked poor.

Whenever he got the ball his first thought seemed to be to pass it backwards. There were times when he had space to turn and drive at the opposition but was either unaware or lacked the confidence to do so.

Considering the chances they had in the first half and how poor we were I don't think he added much to the team.

He's a young lad, he looks like he's got the physical attributes we need and did pretty well on his debut at reading. I just wasn't impressed with him yesterday. But considering where he's come from and the situation he's been thrown into I'm sure he's going to have games like yesterday.

With relegation still a worry I'd like to see Delph back in for when we face tougher opposition.

I don't get your logic here - his job is to win the ball back and keep possession for the team, passing backwards is something he needs to do a lot in order to do this. 

He had a good game yesterday and is doing what he was brought here to do.

It's really nice having the option of using him. 

As with all midfield players there are times to keep the ball and times to try and help the team progress forward.

Ashley Westwood kept the ball well but still managed to help the team progress forward. I think like a few others have said he looked a bit shaky and that's probably why his first thought was pass it back.

Also the first half was an absolutely abysmal performance from the whole team so not sure what people are basing his good performance on.

Not writing him off. I'm not saying he's a poor signing.

I just didn't think he did well yesterday and was rightly subbed. I also think Delph is a better option in midfield to him at this current time.

He's shaky, for a French second div player.........but thats what we bought and thats we need to bring on. And so far he has'nt disappointed or raised opinion, as someone like Bennett has. He'll prove a shrewd buy in the end, I'm sure.

I actually love his enthusiasm to just work his way into the side. And he does'nt seem to have arrived here with a billy-big boots attitude. In fact, I'd say he was quite a humble kind of guy who seems quite willing to learn and fit in. Those kind of players are pretty thin on the ground to be fair.

Wasn't as impressed by him yesterday as after the game against reading. But he wasn't poor and I wasn't surprised that he had a little dip. Doesn't mean anything for the future. I think he has a bright future.

I'm not sure what people are looking for from new signings in a brand new country, but I think Sylla has been fantastic for us so far in terms of coming in and not looking off the pace or short of quality like so many other signings have. nerves have been mentioned here, but I don't think he's looked that nervy either, there have been a few bad touches in places, but that's about it. I think that's something that we'll get off Sylla no matter how long he's been here, but he looks a fantastic signing all round. Strong, composed in the tackle, willing to stand off a player and let him make a move, doesn't try anything too fancy, has a shot on him. He'll be as important to us next season as Benteke was this season

• Like 1

We've won 100% of the games that Yacouba Sylla has played from start! ^_^

and of 4 games he has been involved we won 3 and drew 1. Guy has to start every week :)

Con's logic on Bannan this is... the only difference is that you're all having a joke about it whereas Con is deadly serious.

Sylla didn't impress me at all yesterday, however new league, new country, new language... you have to expect these performances to a certain extent. He still looks like a very good prospect for the future.

I think a defensive pair of Sylla and Westwood with Delph in front will be a good midfield 3

Or Westwood can play the more advanced midfield role in exchange of Delph playing the more defensive role 

As long as if it keeps Bannan out the side im happy

He'll be as important to us next season as Benteke was this season

That's a hell of a statement to make after 2 starts.

People said the same thing when I said Benteke would be our most important player this season 10 minutes after he came on for his debut

• Like 1

Not sure where the calls of him being shaky are coming from.

I thought he looked a very tidy player. Not afraid to put a tackle in and very rarely gave the ball away. His passing was also excellent.

In fact *checks whoscored.com* he had a 95% pass completion.

He's a decent player, and that was a very good home debut. I've got no **** clue what game people are watching if they're calling him "awful"

• Like 1

If you're as bang on with this call then I think you need to start applying for some scouting positions.

Be great if you're right. We need improving in midfield.

You might be onto something there... I also said Milner would be a top notch central midfielder before we swapped him into that role and people said it'd never work :P

For a 22 year old lad who had never played above the French 2nd division until a few weeks ago given today was just his second start for us I think he did pretty well.

Overall from what we have seen of him so far I think he could be a very decent signing.

Delph will be back for the Liverpool game so its between Sylla and Bannan as to who will be dropped. Personally I'd start him alongside Delph and Westwood.

>>I'm not understanding the comparison between Delph and Bannan. They are very different players. Delph is more defensive, like Sylla. Delph does have an attacking surge in him, perhaps Sylla does too. So Delph is competing with Sylla for his place. Sylla has won the last two games so keeps the spot.

In terms of crossing and creative passing Bannan is considered better than Delph and Sylla, which is why Delph never takes the corners, and Sylla won't take the corners. N'Zogbia can take corners and cross the ball. He might come in for Bannan if Lambert decides to change the team to play counter-attack.

How do you work out that Bannan is more attacking than Delph? Sure delph has more energy defensively but in all honesty he is far more attack-minded than Bannan who either goes sideways or backwards 99% of the time.

Delph and Sylla offer more than Bannan both defensively and offensively IMO. The trouble is with bannan as was yesterday, he picks the short passes up out of defence then forgets to turn and play forward and if I'm correct he was the attacking midfielder on the pitch yesterday with Sylla and Westwood holding. NZog came on and did more in 15 min than Bannan did all game. Bannan offered nothing going forward so to say he's more attacking is just utter bollocks.

Delph passes backwards more than Westwood and Bannan.

Source: Squawka.com.

% passing backwards:

Westwood: 35%

Bannan: 36%

El Ahmadi: 45%

Delph: 49%

Sylla: 59% (small sample size)

For comparison Xavi has passed backwards 38% time this season.

Passing backwards a lot suggests a defensive mindset, and perhaps that the player lacks confidence passing the ball forwards.

Passing forwards to attacking players is harder than passing backwards to defending ones because the margin of error is finer passing fowards: the ball is more likely to be intercepted and the attacking player is more likely to be marked.

The Westwood stat is another indicator how incredible he is actually. Bannan is very positive too. He doesn't shirk responsibility for playing the attacking ball.

Edited by Con

Â