Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Is he still here? I thought he would have been sacked and this thread locked by the time I logged on today!

No the general consensus is were stuck with him even when we go down

Edited by AshVilla

Also full credit Vlaar. One of the only people connected to the club I don't despise right now.

I can understand those calling for Lambert's head and I can understand those with criticisms of players but you despise almost everyone connected with the club?

I can understand those calling for Lambert's head and I can understand those with criticisms of players but you despise almost everyone connected with the club?

I think you know what I meant. Of course I'm not referring to the thousands of people employed by the club but rather the first team.

That being said, i still feel that if Lambert had to cut his cloth to suit, why not invest in at least one winger should it have been Snodgrass to supply Bent which would have played to our strengths rather than trying to change our style of play on what has possibly turned out to be an impossible budget?

Lambert's tactics also have to be questioned and they have been by far more knowledgable posters than i and i simply don't think he has set the team up to get the best out of what we have at the club.

Its just a complete mess at the moment and its hard to see what can be done if Lerner isn't going to invest in our safety.

I really don't know enough about the Dempsey issue to comment

I also believe that Lambert has his hands tied with Bent - who knows? Maybe that influenced his buying decisions? Maybe he felt he couldn't buy enough quality in a wide player for a couple of million and there was better value in other positions and formations

On the tactics, I often don't agree myself but tend to think that managers and coaches probably know more than me - personally I would have started Weimann but I don't know if he had 90 or 120 minutes in him or what other factors are taken into account. 

I do think that Lambert himself is frustrated and that he is doing everything he knows - he looks like someone who cares very deeply about whats going on. I think he is a very decent manager and given time and support he is good enough to get us top 8 - whether he gets that time is another matter. 

I got annoyed at those looking to replace Lambert after just a handful of games but I can fully understand those who take that view now (although a few are really over the top with very bizarre views). Personally I don't see Adkins, Hughes, RDM or some of the more outlandish suggestions (Gregory! KMac?) as viable alternatives. I would stick with Lambert until the end of the season and assess then - I really can't see how boycotts and protests can help the team in any way

For me Lerner is hanging him out to dry. If there really is no money to invest at least have the decency to come out and say so rather than leave Lambert carrying the can

Edited by VillaCas

How on earth did he get the job ? He had limited experience and was never the man to move villa forwards.

Compelling football Faulkner said. It's the worst season I can remember and we've got a minimum of 16 further torturous games to deal with.

I think one of his biggest problems is his ability to identify good signings. Benteke and Vlaar aside I'm not massively impressed with our summer dealings. Compare it to our Semi-Final counterparts Swansea and it makes for interesting reading.

Villa IN - Bennett (£3m), Lowton (£3.5m), Westwood (£2m), Vlaar (£3.4m), KEA (£3m), Benteke (£7m), Bowery (£0.5m), Holman (Free) - TOTAL £23.4m 

Swansea IN - Michu (£2m), Chico (£2.2m), de Guzman (Loan), Bartley (£1.5m), Ki (£6m), Hernandez (£5.8m), Tiendalli (Free), Schecter (Loan) - TOTAL £17.5m

There was no need to sign FB's when we already had 2 RB's and 2 LB's at the club. Players like Hernandez and de Guzman would create much more chances than we are managing at the moment.

I'm not saying it's as simple as the above but personally I think Lambert is not very good in the transfer market. 

I think one of his biggest problems is his ability to identify good

signings. Benteke and Vlaar aside I'm not massively impressed with our

summer dealings. Compare it to our Semi-Final counterparts Swansea and

it makes for interesting reading.

Villa IN -

Bennett (£3m), Lowton (£3.5m), Westwood (£2m), Vlaar (£3.4m), KEA (£3m),

Benteke (£7m), Bowery (£0.5m), Holman (Free) - TOTAL £23.4m 

Swansea

IN - Michu (£2m), Chico (£2.2m), de Guzman (Loan), Bartley (£1.5m), Ki

(£6m), Hernandez (£5.8m), Tiendalli (Free), Schecter (Loan) - TOTAL

£17.5m

There was no need to sign FB's when we already

had 2 RB's and 2 LB's at the club. Players like Hernandez and de Guzman

would create much more chances than we are managing at the moment.

I'm not saying it's as simple as the above but personally I think Lambert is not very good in the transfer market.

WAGES?

Edited by Denis_B

This is dodgy at best, but I think it's funny:

Incredibly,

Big Apple Soccer attributes a league source in a report released on Wednesday that says, among other things, that current Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert (above) is one of three remaining candidates for the head coaching job in New York.

The coaching vacancy has also been linked in recent weeks to... former Aston Villa assistant Gary McAllister.

Not quite sure what the thinking is there.  Perhaps they're just blinded by the aura of success these last three seasons.  "Oh, let's have some of that!"
Edited by drewdat

I thought dortmund got shot of him after just one season? I didn't think he did too well in Germany. however i fail to see what his playing career has to do with his managerial career anyway. I wouldnt say he was world class, he was a pretty good player granted.

Been watching Dortmund since i moved here in 87', i remember seeing Lambert play, he was ok, but didn't settle and was described as distant and moody by fellow players, mmm, that hasn't changed.

Well if something is 'afoot' it is because he won't get 'the boot' as he is 'a shoe in' for the job. Only some sort of 'heel' with no 'sole' would think otherwise :)

Cobblers.

Cobblers!

(Dammit. Not quick enough. ;) )

You sandal knowledgeable about this Are you ITK?

i think it was tongue in cheek

Using this site as a platform for footwear gags is not toeing the line. Anyway, He patently won't go until it stiletto sign any players in the window.

Your all a set of Wellies

:blush:

You guys have just no sole. :blush:

You recon Swansea are paying massive wages? I recon we would be paying more. 

Swansea are completely different though... they've had years of progression and developing a way of playing.  Players who are very comfortable on the ball will walk straight into their team. Can you imagine Leon Britton playing in this Villa team? Bannan get's a lot of stick but Britton would get more, yet he's a key player for Swansea. Villa need stability and to develop a way of playing in the same way Swansea have. Unfortunately developing is easier when you have nothing to lose and you're a few divisions below. Such a project in the Premier League would almost certainly lead to relegation at some point. 

Edited by PieFacE

I think one of his biggest problems is his ability to identify good signings. 

That has been the main problem with some of our previous managers.

Some good signings made but not enough at the same time.