Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I must be on my own - although I like and support Lambo, The fact that he has not produced a team (anywhere) with a tight defence concerns me greatly. - thats still a big question mark for me.

To his credit he has an eye for a player, seems to be able to get teams to run through walls for him - defence is still a concern for me though.

• Like 2

For me the jury is still out on Lamber, whilst I do like him he still is far from the finished piece. That defence will need suring up, also i would like to see goals coming from other areas of the pitch, especially midfielders chipping in. He has so far signed the right players to make these changes so i am looking forward to the new season. UTV!

I must be on my own - although I like and support Lambo, The fact that he has not produced a team (anywhere) with a tight defence concerns me greatly. - thats still a big question mark for me.

To his credit he has an eye for a player, seems to be able to get teams to run through walls for him - defence is still a concern for me though.

For me the jury is still out on Lamber, whilst I do like him he still is far from the finished piece. That defence will need suring up, also i would like to see goals coming from other areas of the pitch, especially midfielders chipping in. He has so far signed the right players to make these changes so i am looking forward to the new season. UTV!

I think for what Lambert had available to him he did a pretty good job in all honesty... Dunne was out all season and Vlarr was out at times throughout this season so we've at times had a very young back 4. This will be his first full season where he's going to have chance to assess the club and bring in players he wants to. I say judge the man as a whole at the end of this coming season where I'd like to believe we've finally had that 'transitional' season done now. That and he seems to be getting rid of the deadwood. I only hope people will come in for them. Especially Hutton, lord knows who would want him. He comes back from a loan spell having played in a team that gets relegated and calls it a success. Am I missing something entirely? Does he consider just playing a football a success?

• Like 3

surely signing Okore goes some way to shoring up the defence? we now have 4 CBs for 2 positions. I think we still have Herd right? not his best position by miles but assuming he's not in a CB pair with Lowton he can prob do a job, same goes for Lowton, so we have 4 CBs and 2 players who can cover in an emergency.

I'd expect cover/competition for Lowton and Bennet to get signed too.

As for goals from other areas of the pitch, he's grabbed Bucana and Tonev already to add to the midfield mix. So it looks to be something he's thinking about at least!

For Especially Hutton, lord knows who would want him. He comes back from a loan spell having played in a team that gets relegated and calls it a success. Am I missing something entirely? Does he consider just playing a football a success?

Maybe he was just happy to play football. Hutton to be fair was unfortunate as he had a poor first season at Villa, but then wasnt even given one game to try and impress Lambert.

Give him a free transfer and we should be able to get rid of him.

I think he must have worked much  harder than any recent Villa manager. In the depths of the winter of our discontent, he was still looking for fresh faces, scouting all over Europe. And not just the well known players.  The 30 game dossier for westwood etc.  I know its not just him, but he must have massive involvement. Even Given said Lambert sat him down and explained why he wasn't playing and no one had done that before. 

I think he wants players in his own mould, hard working and committed to the club. 

Good Lad

• Like 2

I think for what Lambert had available to him he did a pretty good job in all honesty... Dunne was out all season and Vlarr was out at times throughout this season so we've at times had a very young back 4. This will be his first full season where he's going to have chance to assess the club and bring in players he wants to. I say judge the man as a whole at the end of this coming season where I'd like to believe we've finally had that 'transitional' season done now. That and he seems to be getting rid of the deadwood. I only hope people will come in for them. Especially Hutton, lord knows who would want him. He comes back from a loan spell having played in a team that gets relegated and calls it a success. Am I missing something entirely? Does he consider just playing a football a success?

Fully agree with this, and an earlier post that the defence was shoddy last year because it had no protection in the transitional phase of our midfield, which effectively wasnt lamberts fault as we lost a key player in Petrov early on in the year; who gave that solidarity in the middle of the park. And one can only think Lambert thought the big money players such as Ireland, Nzogbia, Dunne would be available and performing!

Looking at the options we have available at CB and with what Okore will hopefully bring to the table I dont think we will be too bad. Hopefully Vlaar wont be so injury ridden and the two young lads will have the benefits of getting through last years woes. Still think a good solid CM would be a useful addition but even the lads in the middle of the park will be maturing after last year. If Delph can keep his head he was showing good signs and the little trio of him westwood and Sylla was looking pretty strong at the end of the year!

Think Lamber has a very positive plan and I am loving every minute of it! There is every possibility that the players we have, and have added may make mistakes and we could struggle but there is also a good possibility we could see some very exciting football at Villa park and a nice start to the season could really get us going well!

• Like 1

surely signing Okore goes some way to shoring up the defence? we now have 4 CBs for 2 positions. I think we still have Herd right? not his best position by miles but assuming he's not in a CB pair with Lowton he can prob do a job, same goes for Lowton, so we have 4 CBs and 2 players who can cover in an emergency.

As for goals from other areas of the pitch, he's grabbed Bucana and Tonev already to add to the midfield mix. So it looks to be something he's thinking about at least!

I think Okore, Bacuna and probably Herd too could cover RB so I don't see that as a priority, unless we bring in someone very young as an understudy.

True, but I will reserve judgement until I see them play. I think its fair to say they are relativly unknown players with no Prem experience and they could bomb like KEA n Holman. However after seeing Guzan (even though he was our player before), westwood, lowton n Benteke do well in the first team, i do have faith in Lambert signings, its just that im not quite ready to say hes a "good manager" rather than a OK one at the moment.

TRO quote taken from the Okore thread, seems more appropriate here...

why are we so attractive?......its about many factors, but like when sharks smell blood.... young football players smell when something is going on.

They know Lambert knows what he is doing and they smell something good.

It's so refreshing.

I realise how ridiculous this might sound coming from a 30 year old man, but I'm so genuinely proud of what we are right now, what Lambert has made us, I actually have a little tear in my eye.

I'm starting to idolise him like I did Martin O'Neill and that takes some doing, especially given my apathy towards him 6 months ago.

Maybe I'm just a bit tired, but it's good to have passion again for this club to go along with the undying love.

Awesome times.

I am 31 and you are speaking for me too :)

Livingston, Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich all had bollocks defenses when Lambert was in charge. I dont think we will be any different in the long run. I dont think he knows how to organise one.

Livingston, Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich all had bollocks defenses when Lambert was in charge. I dont think we will be any different in the long run. I dont think he knows how to organise one.

I think it is more that he plays an attacking style that leaves the defence exposed. Not so much that he can't organise them.

I think it is more that he plays an attacking style that leaves the defence exposed. Not so much that he can't organise them.

But what about the amount of goals we concede from set pieces, or sloppy fouls in and around the box. These could be coached out.

It may be due to attacking constantly but how about the amount of late second half goals or the amount of game where we only performed in one half.

A few of these errors were decreased after the newcastle game at VP where we kicked on, but I think the problem hasn't really gone away.

It's hard to know. I am going to wait and see how we are performing this season. If the defence is still conceeding regularly then we will have another season of struggle but with a full season behind him Lambert may have made the improvements required over the summer break.

Yep 'mjmooney' i also stated this last season and put forward the guy in my avatar as one possible.

However with Jores Okore signed and hopefully a replacement for Bennet on the way we should be tighter defensively come the start of the new season although i would still like to see a better defensive coach coming in as well.