Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I was calling for Westwood, Sylla, Delph months ago. It makes so much more sense to hold Westwood deep and let Sylla and Delph loose, and some people were saying it would be too defensive. Westwood needs the space to operate, Sylla and Delph can use their athleticism and industry to get up and down. 

Surely Lambert will stick with this formation now. Only thing I would be looking at tactically is helping the full-backs a bit more defensively. Gabby and Weimann suit the 4-3-3 pretty well but don't consistently track back to help the full-backs and I'm not sure they should anyway as their focus should be on providing an outlet and supporting Benteke quickly when we use him as a target man. 

It would make sense to have Sylla nominally on the right and Delph nominally on the left and give them freedom to get up and down but keep reminding them they have to try and help the full-backs when one-on-one and have to watch for overlaps down the wings. 

Hopefully the doubters will at least give him the benefit now.  It's such a massive deal if we stay up.  This is the heart of a Villa side that doesn't need to change substantially for 5 years.  The short-term pain will have been worth it.

i absolutely agree. Quite frankly some of the shrieking and baying for him to be sacked and that he was the worst villa manager ever were, quite frankly, ridiculous and nothing more than premature impatient garbage in my opinion.

It was always the right course of action and most considered approach to keep lambert and I hope he stays for many many years to come.

Hopefully the doubters will at least give him the benefit now.  It's such a massive deal if we stay up.  This is the heart of a Villa side that doesn't need to change substantially for 5 years.  The short-term pain will have been worth it.

i absolutely agree. Quite frankly some of the shrieking and baying for him to be sacked and that he was the worst villa manager ever were, quite frankly, ridiculous and nothing more than premature impatient garbage in my opinion.

It was always the right course of action and most considered approach to keep lambert and I hope he stays for many many years to come.

Although I'm pretty sure it was you predicting we'd go down and wouldn't win another game a couple of days ago ;)

Although I'm pretty sure it was you predicting we'd go down and wouldn't win another game a couple of days ago ;)
yes I was absolutely as I just thought everything was lining up that way. However, that is different to wanting the manager sacked. I wanted / want him to remain with us regardless of if we get relegated or not. My opinion on lambert has not changed since day one, in fact it has changed. It has strengthened and got better!
  • Like 1

I've given him some stick this season.

But every one of his signings tonight were brilliant.

If tonight is the future under lambert then sign me up.

Yayyyyyyy!!

Join the party BJ10!

;)

yes I was absolutely as I just thought everything was lining up that way. However, that is different to wanting the manager sacked. I wanted / want him to remain with us regardless of if we get relegated or not. My opinion on lambert has not changed since day one, in fact it has changed. It has strengthened and got better!

I know, I was only messing with you ;)

There was never any chance of Lambert being sacked so the whole conversation was pointless in my view. There was a different conversation about whether he has done as well as expected as manager and he's obviously just bought a few credits in that one!

The impressive thing for me is the turnaround.

It's one thing to change formations or change your starting lineup and see some improvement.

It's another thing entirely to pick up a young squad putting in plain awful performances with zero confidence and getting them playing under pressure, wanting to win and producing results in a relegation scrap.

That's the mark of a top manager.

I still have doubts (and will criticise as needed) but I am much more confident of success with Lambert than any of our previous managers under the Lerner regime.

Got the tactics right against Sunderland.

No Bannan?

Cheap shot!

My opinions are not one dimensional like that. 

I was not demanding his place in the first XI, I thought El Ahmadi should start - he must have been injured, not on the bench.

Fact that Bannan was on the bench shows he still has a place in Lambert's thoughts. The fact I mention that doesn't make me one dimensional. It makes me someone who impassively states the facts.

I was only joking Con, I thought El Ahmadi would start as well, great win, onwards and upwards.

One thing I will say is it is a crying shame we dont try and play the ball forward with pace more often. At times in the first half the passing back was frustrating the life out of me when the goals started going in we were far more attacking and played some absolute beautiful stuff.

There was never any chance of Lambert being sacked so the whole conversation was pointless in my view. There was a different conversation about whether he has done as well as expected as manager and he's obviously just bought a few credits in that one!

sure I understand that but this was always a long term solution never a short term fix. Some of the shrieking and baying was nothing more than reactionary impatient drivel really. The worse kind of mob rule.

He has some good qualities - in fact lots.  His massive weakness is his defensive ability - let hope with a few more ££££ spent in the summer he can improve here. - Thats my real doubt about him to be honest.

• Like 1

He has some good qualities - in fact lots.  His massive weakness is his defensive ability - let hope with a few more ££££ spent in the summer he can improve here. - Thats my real doubt about him to be honest.

Why did he let Cuella,Collins and Warnock go?

Seperately you might not like them but together they were a decent back line.

Why did he let Cuella,Collins and Warnock go?

Seperately you might not like them but together they were a decent back line.

No they weren't.

Cuellar showed last night why he wasn't kept on.

Edited by Stevo985

Some of the shrieking and baying was nothing more than reactionary impatient drivel really. The worse kind of mob rule.

You did the same with Houllier.

And the amount of times I've seen you post along the lines of 'we wont win another game' or  'we wont win any of those games' over the last 3 years is also reactionary drivel. Add that to consigning us to relegation every year.

sure I understand that but this was always a long term solution never a short term fix. Some of the shrieking and baying was nothing more than reactionary impatient drivel really. The worse kind of mob rule.

We've all seen the bad performances/ bad tactical decisions/ individual mistakes, but some of us have been able to look through the dross to see bright sparks and lasting positives that give us hope for the coming seasons under Lambert.

I guess we'd have better 'Scouting potential ability' on FM.... ;)

I think Cuella had a bad day at the office.

We conceeded less goals last season ?!

But that doesn't mean they were a "decent back line"

OK we've not done well this season, but those players needed to go. Maybe it would have been better to phase them out rather than get rid all at once, but that doesn't change the fact that they weren't good enough.