Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Superb result.  Just thinking where Lambert could have us in a few seasons is really rather exciting.  Just hope we can pull away from the bottom 3 at some stage, there are some incredibly annoying results elsewhere aren't there?

When we stay up, it will be because of 2 major factors, Benteke and Guzan.

Both of which were solely down to Lambert.

Its nice to know that staying in the Premiership is now viewed by some posters as an achievement for our club.

Did you hold that same view with our previous managers?

Its nice to know that staying in the Premiership is now viewed by some posters as an achievement for our club.

I think a large proportion of the board thought 14th-17th would be a good result when doing the predictions at the start of the season.  Not that any of us would like to have come there but realistically with the way the squad's needed revamping many of us did expect it.  Lambert is trying to fix the mess the previous managers have put us in which is where he gets more leeway.

I think a large proportion of the board thought 14th-17th would be a good result when doing the predictions at the start of the season.  Not that any of us would like to have come there but realistically with the way the squad's needed revamping many of us did expect it.  Lambert is trying to fix the mess the previous managers have put us in which is where he gets more leeway.

I seem to remember someone on the board mentioning qualification for Europe and not many fans mentioning another relegation battle apart from one or two on here who voiced their concerns with the imbalance within our squad.

I always suspected we would be there or there abouts. Poor squad, loads of internal issues and Lambert tries to play football. Anyone who thought other wise was a little hopeful. Beating relegation (viewing it before the season) wouldnt be an achievement but it was the goal. Stay in the premiership then build.

In light of how the seasons panning out staying up would be an achievement.

I seem to remember someone on the board mentioning qualification for Europe and not many fans mentioning another relegation battle apart from one or two on here who voiced their concerns with the imbalance within our squad.

I'm sure lots of people thought we could qualify for Europe, but then there are lots and lots of people on here.  There was a poll before the season and I'm 99% sure that about 15th was what most people expected.  Bottom 3 in January before picking up with some signings.  It's taken a bit longer and we didn't really make any signings but hopefully the wage bill will be down to about 60% in the summer and with Lambert's eye for a bargain I don't see why we shouldn't be excited (assuming that we stay up).

No doubt that Lamber had a terrible spell a few months ago but credit to him now. He has got the team believing and today's game was a testament to his management. I thought we had screwed up again ( as against Liverpool) but we were the better side in so many ways and for a change we came back and won! Well done PL

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether its been mentioned already, but I think Lambert got away with it today after a really bizarre substitution.

We were obviously in total control of the game, albeit missing chances, but with 15 to go, he takes off Gabby for Sylla.

Now We have sat back countless times this season and paid the price, but even so I can kind of get on board bringing on Sylla, however what I found totally bizarre was that Gabby came off and not Bowery!

Gabby was having a great game, has terrific pace for when we are under pressure at the end enabling us to counter, he is strong and had been tracking back well. Bowery on the other hand is a pretty poor player and not great at tracking back, just could not understand it.

Lets be honest, they equalised soon after and we were looking shaky, if it werent for a wonder strike from Matty Lowton, we could have lost that game!

Im a fan of Lambert and support him fully, but I do think he lucked out today after that sub

No doubt that Lamber had a terrible spell a few months ago but credit to him now. He has got the team believing and today's game was a testament to his management. I thought we had screwed up again ( as against Liverpool) but we were the better side in so many ways and for a change we came back and won! Well done PL

Indeed, overall it will be a disappointing season but with the signings he has made and since finally dropping that 5 at the back things look a lot more rosey. Never thought we would or should go down so I dont see just staying up as an achievement but as said things have changed quite clearly and thats just fine by me. There's also something quite likeable about him.

I'm not sure whether its been mentioned already, but I think Lambert got away with it today after a really bizarre substitution.

We were obviously in total control of the game, albeit missing chances, but with 15 to go, he takes off Gabby for Sylla.

Now We have sat back countless times this season and paid the price, but even so I can kind of get on board bringing on Sylla, however what I found totally bizarre was that Gabby came off and not Bowery!

Gabby was having a great game, has terrific pace for when we are under pressure at the end enabling us to counter, he is strong and had been tracking back well. Bowery on the other hand is a pretty poor player and not great at tracking back, just could not understand it.

Lets be honest, they equalised soon after and we were looking shaky, if it werent for a wonder strike from Matty Lowton, we could have lost that game!

Im a fan of Lambert and support him fully, but I do think he lucked out today after that sub

Didnt Gabby pick up a knock.

The bad spell happened when we had lots of injuries funnily enough. The injuries also coincided with the wingback period.

Edited by praisedmambo

We've been in a mess for a while and we've not been able to throw loads of money at fixing the team and the amount of money we've been losing. It doesn't matter what people hoped for this season—nobody wanted a relegation battle—but in the context of the last few years it's not that surprising what has happened. The difference between Lambert and McLeish, for me, is obvious. One manager played horrible football and bought badly, had a history of relegations and was totally wrong for the club, I felt doomed last year, and then there is Lambert who has a history of attacking football, good buys, and promotions, and also of turning clubs around who have been in a mess and making them good. Just like us. It doesn't happen instantly. As long as we survive this season we can build and Lambert is ideal. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Obvious good manager is obvious

Hmmm... let's not get too ahead of ourselves just yet. We're still only 3 points off the relegation zone. 3 of the 4 teams below us have games in hand too....

• Like 1

Lambert was my number 1 choice. Im honest enough to say its been  disappointing - I thought we would be at least half way up the table. Lambert's major weakness seems to be his inability to assemble a watertight defence - this still concerns me.

In Transfer market he has done pretty well, Benteke has a been a star - Bennett \ KEA - look a bit weak at the moment. The others have done good enough for the fees paid. The players seem to want to run through walls for Lambert, and dressing room seems to be a run as a tight ship.

Lamberts being praised for tactics tonight - yet he was 3 minutes , and a 30 yard volley away from being berated for them. I think its to be wise after the event, and say he should brought on x for z. The problem this season has been the limited resources he has available to him. Yeah he does some things that are strange, but what manager doesn't ?  - on the whole he has tried to rotate his resources, so they aren't knackered come March. Perhaps that's paying off as we enter the final run in.

If we stay up - Central Defence needs loads of work - Think what a Vlaar injury would do to us now ......Herd\Baker anyone ? - I would like to see 2 more centre backs added before next season starts.