Paul Lambert

Pilchard

It's tough to pick a side that plays with width when you have no quality wide players, or the ones who are at the club in Albrighton and N'Zogbia have been so poor.  At least Lambert has tried different formations to counteract our weaknesses, and credit has to go to Gabby and especially Weimann for performing well over recent weeks in less favourable positions.  Also the lack of width is I'm sure a factor in why Bennett hasn't hit the ground running as he's often been on his own up against two decent PL players, which isn't ideal when you're making a big step up like him. 

Ive liked what Lambert has done in recent weeks. We are scoring goals (over half our goals have been in the last 10 games) the switch to 4-3-3 has given us more possession. Yes the defencive frailtys are still there. I dont think these are going to go away until we get a stronger defender along side Vlaar. 

I remember saying in January that i think you stick a Lescott and a Parker into this team and i think you've got a top half team, recent weeks have convinced me im right. 

There were many problems in December and January. The injuries and the 8-0 killed us, and it took Lambert longer than expected to get the confidence back into the team. I think this was 2 things, the 3-4-2/5-2-3 formation ..it was awful and quite ridiculous that he kept attempting that, maybe it was the defencive injuries i don't know. Second was the league cup run and Christmas schedule.  We played 15 games in December and January, we just haven't got the squad to do that. Also its harder for a manager to correct problems, and to change things playing 2 games a week. We will effectively play 10 games less in February and March and i don't think the improvement in form is a coincidence to this.

It's tough to pick a side that plays with width when you have no quality wide players, or the ones who are at the club in Albrighton and N'Zogbia have been so poor.  At least Lambert has tried different formations to counteract our weaknesses, and credit has to go to Gabby and especially Weimann for performing well over recent weeks in less favourable positions.  Also the lack of width is I'm sure a factor in why Bennett hasn't hit the ground running as he's often been on his own up against two decent PL players, which isn't ideal when you're making a big step up like him. 

Lack of quality is an issue but as shown there are players who could have played in a wider position.

It's cost us a lot this season IMO. People can say its hindsight but a lot of people mentioned how the lack of width was causing us issues early on in the season.

We seemed to change at half time against Newcastle.

Before that game we'd played 23 prem games and scored 19 goals.

Since that game we've played 6 games and scored 11 goals.

No surprise that its helped us look a lot better as an attacking team and has seen us pick up more points.

Proof that all the excuses made for the manager this season are rubbish.

Lack of quality is an issue but as shown there are players who could have played in a wider position.

It's cost us a lot this season IMO. People can say its hindsight but a lot of people mentioned how the lack of width was causing us issues early on in the season.

No surprise that its helped us look a lot better as an attacking team and has seen us pick up more points.

Disregard coaching methods paying off (from the manager and his team), having injured players back in the team. Disregard all things in the name of a misguided obsession at being negative towards the manager. 

The picture is bigger than John Carew 10 is capable of comprehending. 

Disregard coaching methods paying off (from the manager and his team), having injured players back in the team. Disregard all things in the name of a misguided obsession at being negative towards the manager. 

Oh just a coincidence that we looked a lot better as a team pretty much immediately the 2nd half against Newcastle kicked off. Yes keep making excuses and pull out the bigger picture line.

You accuse me of disregarding things but you do exactly the same when you ignore my point about the formation.

So hypocritical as well. Nice work.

Very happy with some of the work Lambert has done, especially -

Getting rid of Warnock

Ditto Collins

Ditto Dunne

Spotting that Ireland is just a hoax

Getting NZogbia playing

Signing Benteke

Ditto Westwood

Never dissing the club or the fans

Oh and re - signing Guzan

• Like 3

Oh just a coincidence that we looked a lot better as a team pretty much immediately the 2nd half against Newcastle kicked off. Yes keep making excuses and pull out the bigger picture line.

You accuse me of disregarding things but you do exactly the same when you ignore my point about the formation.

So hypocritical as well. Nice work.

Lambert was the one who changed the formation. It's quite often managers make changes mid game, thankfully we seem to have one who makes decisions that make us more effective. I was never a fan of the wingbacks but I'm not letting it become an obsession for me, which I think is not the case for everyone. I've accepted that things don't always look pretty and I think it's a tougher job than you seem to realise. Now we are hopefully seeing the merit of Lambert's choices. If everything is ok this season and we survive we would have done so having moved a step further towards getting rid of the dead wood. We'll be in a healthier position financially and have the core of a young and promising squad which Lambert can add to in the summer. Finally the future can look bright again. 

• Like 1

It's quite often managers make changes mid game, thankfully we seem to have one who makes decisions that make us more effective.

What are you basing this on?

Now we are hopefully seeing the merit of Lambert's choices. If everything is ok this season and we survive we would have done so having moved a step further towards getting rid of the dead wood. We'll be in a healthier position financially and have the core of a young and promising squad which Lambert can add to in the summer. Finally the future can look bright again.

Probably wouldn't disagree with much of that. Lambert's finally stopped making shit decisons. Hopefully it's not too late.

I think it's a bit premature though to think the futures finally starting to look bright.

One thing that I sometimes don't think he get enough praise for is giving Guzan the chance to shine. He gets a lot of praise for re-signing him which I think was just mostly common sense. But to really give him the chance and keep the faith in him was kind of brave. Sure, Given had a stinker against everton and deserved the drop and Guzan grabbed the opportunity with both hands amd kept his faith even when we let goals in for fun like it was christmas every day for our opponents. Many managers could've got cold hands and let Given get back in to try and change things, but Lambert kept Guzan in and that was brave. And even if Given had a stinker against everton and is definitely on his way down he's still the more experienced keepr with a good reputation whilst Guzan was both inexperienced and before this season a little hit and miss. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but to me that's something I'd like to give him praise for, even if it now seems kind of like an easy decision to make.

How are people describing the team set up now ? Is it 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1

Definitely a 4-2-3-1 from what I have seen. Agbonlahor and Weimann tuck in behind Benteke while someone like N'Zogbia is creating the chances. 

I see John Gregory said Lambert should be given 2 more seasons on signing Benteke alone. I tend to agree as if can pick up similar signings over time we be laughing

Lambert needs to be judged on results and not on the signing of one player.

How are people describing the team set up now ? Is it 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1

Definitely a 4-2-3-1 from what I have seen. Agbonlahor and Weimann tuck in behind Benteke while someone like N'Zogbia is creating the chances. 

And the difference is...?

I'd let Dunne go personally my main issue is how Lambert deals with it.. does he replace it with yet another younger player or actually go for a good experienced head? hope the latter myself.

Well, if we go back to January, then the indications were, that he did want to bring more experience to a young squad. Dont see that changing anytime soon.

So adding a central midfieder and Defender is very much on the cards if we stay up. Then its filling around the edges, Leftback, striker and wide player depending whom he ships out (Ireland, Bent ect.)

Edited by MagicMushroom

Can't see any merit in keeping Dunne.

He's way past his prime

When playing at best a calamity waiting to happen

Chronically injured?

On massive wages

By no means a model professional

And IMO not likely to be a positive influence on the younger players

I seriously hope Lambert isn't contemplating keeping him just for the sake of him increasing the average age of the squad 

Dunne's contract is up, so if they did want to keep him, for say another 12 month, they could offer him a deal but on vastly reduced wages, circa £20-25kp/w - with some added clauses about being fit enough to play. It's then up to Dunne what he wants to do, if he want to go for one last pay cheque, then so be it, if he wants to stay on much lower wages then great - either way it's win-win for me (provided they don't offer a contract on the same wages).

Dunne is past it, let's face it, the man hasn't played since the summer, it would be a huge gamble to give him a contract when we are trying to limit wages to people who are actually playing. Once he is released we need to focus on ridding the club of Ireland, Given & Bent, freeing up over £15mil in wages a year, when you factor in Dunne & Lichaj. We would then have a solid foundation to build upon. The likes of Lowton, Westwood, Baker, Weimann & Benteke will all be a year older and wiser.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-lambert-want-one-over-1790349?

Aston Villa manager targets third win in a row as his side prepares to take on Liverpool at Villa Park this Easter weekend

163799689-1790224.jpgReasons to be cheerful: Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert
AFP

Aston Villa's home win over QPR last time out was the first time in over two years the club had won successive Premier League games.

A victory on Sunday at Villa Park against Liverpool will make it three in a row which would be undeniable progress.

And of course it would be another significant step for Villa on the path to survival.

It would also complete a double for boss Lambert over opposite number Brendan Rodgers this season after Villa's fine 3-1 win at Anfield in December.

And Villa fans can rest assured the Scot will have his side fully fired up for Sunday's game.

For while Lambert has never admitted it publicly, I believe it does rankle how many plaudits Rodgers got last summer ahead of him.

The quotable, media-friendly Rodgers became something of a press darling last season after guiding promoted Swansea to 11th in the Premier League playing decent passing football.

But the column inches and favourable press for Rodgers were arguably out of proportion to his achievements as he inherited a decent side in July 2010 , the foundations of which had been carefully laid previously by Roberto Martinez from 2007-2009.

Lambert, in comparison, guided fellow promoted club Norwich to 12th in the top-flight, level on points with Swansea - and they did the double over them, playing some attractive stuff in the process.

But more importantly in my view, Lambert took over a complete shambles in League One in August 2009 and totally overhauled the Canaries with successive promotions.

No-one can convince me otherwise that Lambert's whole body of work at Norwich was not far more impressive than Rodgers' achievements in Wales.

Yet last summer Rodgers was hotly tipped for Tottenham and Liverpool before getting the Anfield gig.

And Lambert's name was barely mentioned for both jobs.

Lambert, from what I heard, supposedly felt he had just as good credentials as Rodgers for those positions and clearly would have been up for either job as he was desperate to quit Norwich.

In the end last summer, Lambert was delighted to take charge at Villa Park and genuinely appears to be enjoying his reign at the club despite the adversity of battling the drop.

I am not saying there is any personal animosity between Lambert or Rodgers - I am not aware of that.

But I do reckon achieving a double over Liverpool would be both sweet and vital for Lambert for several reasons.

Villa go into the game in decent form as recent improved displays have done much to convince fans that Lambert's side are making real progress.

I maintain the Scot is doing a decent job in very difficult circumstances as owner Randy Lerner continues to completely rebuild the first team squad on a new, cheaper, more self-sufficient, financial model.

Keeping in-form striker Christian Benteke will be central to those long-term plans and from what I gather, Lambert is privately hopeful.

The determining factor will actually not be how badly Villa or Lambert want him though.

But whether Benteke himself is happy to stay or whether he will kick up a fuss, hand in a transfer request and demand to go as he did at Genk last summer.

The signs are ominous as his rent-a-quote agent seems to be busy drumming up as much interest as possible!

And it is virtually impossible to keep stars if they really want to go as Villa found out with Stewart Downing in August 2011.

Publicly Lambert is very supportive of his players and is yet to criticise any of them in public - to the best of my knowledge.

But fans maybe interested to know that privately he does dish it out in expletive-strewn rants.

I gather young Joe Bennett, 22, copped it big-time at the interval against QPR following his slack pass for Rangers' opener.

Apparently Lambert really tore into the left-back and let him know he would not be playing for the first team again if he repeated the mistake!

It certainly worked the trick as both Villa and Bennett were remarkably improved in the second half and went on to win the game.

And Lambert will not be short of dressing room material this weekend ahead of his return clash with Rodgers' Liverpool side.

......Nursey's proven to be on the ball when it comes to Villa. I see Lambert and our situation in the same light as him judging by this. It's interesting about the bollocking Bennett received. 

Edited by praisedmambo