Paul Lambert

Pilchard

As far as I am concerned Lambert is still playing silly buggers with the squad.Did you see our bench? he had Dawkins,Carruthers and Bowery,FFS how is that going to help if we went 2 down, or if we soffered an injury ?

This twit just REFUSES to play any players who have any experience at all.

I've been critical of Lambert all season but you have to admit the guy has serious balls. Any other young manager would be terrified of alienating senior players. Lambert seems to relish it. 

I find it quite alarming

I find it quite refreshing actually seeing as getting rid of "underperforming overpaid players who couldnt give a shite" was a priority of a section of fans last summer.  It could be argued he has only done what we wanted.

I think what he's doing is the only way to get the right mentality at the club.

He's setting an example thats very clear for everyone to see. It's pretty much, work your ass off or you're out.

Also PussEKat, the only senior player he could have put on the bench that he didn't was Ireland, who has done nothing for Villa since he was here, making your statement a bit of an overreaction in the first place. 

For anyone criticising him persisting with the 5-3-2, from when we changed to it (due to Vlaar's injury) we had this set of results:

Aston Villa 1 - 0 Reading

QPR 1 - 1 Aston Villa 1

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Stoke

Norwich 1 - 4 Aston Villa

Liverpool 1 - 3 Aston Villa

so he could be forgiven for not expecting that it would go so pear shaped with the next 3 games. He gave it long enough to see whether it would turn around, but after the three heavy defeats, he changed to 4-4-2 and drew 2-2 with Swansea. Not exactly unduly persisting with a bad formation.

From what i remember he started the swansea game the same way and we should have been 4-0 down after 10 minutes.

He also for some reason started the newcastle game the same way which played a big part in us losing that one.

Lets not also forget his stupid diamond formation that he persisted with at the start of the season.

If we stay up we desperately need to spend money on quality defenders.. Bennett for me is a winger not a defender, Lowton I think will come good so i'll persist with him, Clark sorry just don't see us ever relying on him properly makes too many mistakes, Vlaar is OK experienced player nothing more.

Think we need quality defenders for sure and if we go into next season with this current defence I fear the worst as has said been above Guzan has been our best player and has made some crazy saves.

Think if we had a proper defence and maybe 1-2 quality midfielders then I can see us really pushing on.. all depends on how much £££ is given and Lambert's judgement (and also if we stay up or not).

Edited by dudevillaisnice

For anyone criticising him persisting with the 5-3-2, from when we changed to it (due to Vlaar's injury) we had this set of results:

QPR 1 - 1 Aston Villa 1

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Stoke

so he could be forgiven for not expecting that it would go so pear shaped with the next 3 games. He gave it long enough to see whether it would turn around, but after the three heavy defeats, he changed to 4-4-2 and drew 2-2 with Swansea. Not exactly unduly persisting with a bad formation.

Reading was 4 at the back, the draw against Stoke was painful, we sat off QPR, they managed more possession and gave our goal a good peppering with 17 shots, 8 of which were on target to our 7 & 2. So that leaves Norwich which was a good display and Liverpool which anyone watching that will know we defended with our lives and scored some cracking goals but Liverpool outplayed us and but for poor finishing it would have been a different story.

So in summary a win at Liverpool and Norwich but a draw against QPR and Stoke playing very poorly.

Then of course we got smashed by Chelsea, Spurs, Wigan and still set up with 5 against Swansea where in the first 20 Swansea had three one on ones. It seemed we could all see it but Lambert. Our last 6 games has seen 4 at the back and its been by far our best period of the season, scoring a 1/3 of the seasons goals collecting 10 points.

There is no defence for the lengthy persistence, nor is there a defence with 5 at the back, literally.

Edited by Houlston

We've coughed up something like 18 points from winning positions this year...pretty shocking number if you think where we'd be if we managed to hold onto just half of that figure. The manager has to take most of the blame for this, IMO. 

If we stay up we desperately need to spend money on quality defenders.. Bennett for me is a winger not a defender, Lowton I think will come good so i'll persist with him, Clark sorry just don't see us ever relying on him properly makes too many mistakes, Vlaar is OK experienced player nothing more.

Think we need quality defenders for sure and if we go into next season with this current defence I fear the worst as has said been above Guzan has been our best player and has made some crazy saves.

Think if we had a proper defence and maybe 1-2 quality midfielders then I can see us really pushing on.. all depends on how much £££ is given and Lambert's judgement (and also if we stay up or not).

If we stay up, the experience of surviving a relegation battle will do a world of good for our young players' confidence levels and stand them in good stead in the future. That said, Baker, Clark and Bennett are still a good few years off being ready for the big time. In 3-5 years' time, a back four comprising of Bennett, Baker, Clark and Lowton could be excellent. They're just not there yet (Lowton excepted, I think he's made the step up to the Prem well -- a few mistakes, yes, not near as many as the others and I think he improves with each game).

For next season, if we stay up, I'd like one good solid centerback, a left back, and some steel in defensive midfield. Has Lambert considered loaning players? Buttner at Man United is a good little left-back, scored on his debut, but can't get a game ahead of Evra. He would have been great for us this season.

Stephen Froggatt said something tonight which I believe to be true. He said that there is an obvious togetherness at the club and the players really respect lambert and would do anything for him. It is something that he did well at Norwich and is one of the reasons I feel he is the right man for us

• Like 1

We've coughed up something like 18 points from winning positions this year...pretty shocking number if you think where we'd be if we managed to hold onto just half of that figure. The manager has to take most of the blame for this, IMO. 

Why? Isn't it the players who let in the late goals? 

QPR 1 - 1 Aston Villa 1

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Stoke

From what i remember he started the swansea game the same way and we should have been 4-0 down after 10 minutes.

He also for some reason started the newcastle game the same way which played a big part in us losing that one.

Lets not also forget his stupid diamond formation that he persisted with at the start of the season.

BORING

Haha because its true?

Yeah if I couldn't actually come back with something I'd probably resort to typing big words.

Well done.

He's played 4 or 5 different sytems though really, 3-4-3 is something we could come back to and play well, who knows. i'd prefer a manager who is willing to experiment in order to get the best out of his playing staff. it's very easy to say he persisted with something oobviously wrong after the event isn't it? however if you look at this season as a process then maybe we wouldn't have struck on the winning formula that sees us 5th in the form table if we hadn't gone through those permutations.

We've let in 56 goals in the prem so far.

From what I can see on soccerbase our worst record in premiership history was under houllier were we let in 59 goals.

It looks like we're well on course to smashing another record low for the club.

Does anyone know the last time we let in 60+ goals in a season?

He built this defence and people claim he's been good in the transfer market. Keep in mind Brad Guzan has been probably our best player as well. Goal keeper is player of the year and we have a premiership record for goals scored against. Brilliant stuff.

To be fair most fans wanted to see the back off dunne, Collins, Warnock and Hutton.

Lambert brought in Vlaar, Lowton, Bennett and brought back Guzan.

Vlaar - decent when not injured

Lowton - very impressive

Bennett - jury's still out but there's decent player in him

Guzan - player of the season

Hindsights a wonderful thing.

There was a bit on the previous couple of pages about the switch from five at the back and its timing, but also a few people suggesting we'd done alright with a 4-4-2 - have we played a 4-4-2 in the league this year, I'm guessing we have, but I'm struggling to remember one.

I think the 4-3-3 we're playing at the moment suits us - our three forwards are easily the strongest part of our team and I like that he's got them all working together.

• Like 1

There was a bit on the previous couple of pages about the switch from five at the back and its timing, but also a few people suggesting we'd done alright with a 4-4-2 - have we played a 4-4-2 in the league this year, I'm guessing we have, but I'm struggling to remember one.

I think the 4-3-3 we're playing at the moment suits us - our three forwards are easily the strongest part of our team and I like that he's got them all working together.

The problem has been though that it has taken Lambert within an inch of our Premiership status to find the right system with the players available.

Don't know if this deserved it's own thread, but James Nursey from the Mirror is saying that we are in for Scott Sinclair from Man City in the summer window.

Out of the Blue? Manchester City's Scott Sinclair is a summer target for Aston Villa

Would be nice but part of hopes no one takes him on and he just rots at City.. evil I know but serves him right going for ££££ over first team football.

Anyway wouldn't mind him but I doubt we could

a) afford him

b ) pay that sort of wages

remains to be seen.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

He's played 4 or 5 different sytems though really, 3-4-3 is something we could come back to and play well, who knows. i'd prefer a manager who is willing to experiment in order to get the best out of his playing staff. it's very easy to say he persisted with something oobviously wrong after the event isn't it? however if you look at this season as a process then maybe we wouldn't have struck on the winning formula that sees us 5th in the form table if we hadn't gone through those permutations.

That thinking is far too pragmatic. Real life premier league management is like Football Manager, you download the best formation for the players you have off the Internet and bob's your uncle.

Perhaps the fact we had Chris **** Herd playing at the back has something to do with those results, that it was either try and make a back three work or go with Lichaj - Lowton - Clark - Bennett as the back four *shudder*.

"Who's fault is that blah blah blah..."

Hindsight muthafuckers, it's a word removed.

• Like 3

I'd actually forgot that Herd played as a cd for some games. That didn't go too well. No blame on him, he tried his best out of position, but apart from one game he wasn't very good at all. And that was when we had 3 cd's injured, I think.

That thinking is far too pragmatic. Real life premier league management is like Football Manager, you download the best formation for the players you have off the Internet and bob's your uncle.

Perhaps the fact we had Chris **** Herd playing at the back has something to do with those results, that it was either try and make a back three work or go with Lichaj - Lowton - Clark - Bennett as the back four *shudder*.

"Who's fault is that blah blah blah..."

Hindsight muthafuckers, it's a word removed.

ahahah. yup herd prob was a factor! 

i was mostly talking about the persisting thing though, just seems a bit off to me to critisice PL for trying to get the best out of what he has, 90 minutes against one set of opposition in a given shape isn't enough for the players to get used to it or to decide whether it could turn out to be a goer or not. how many games it does take isn't an exact science either i reckon. 

either way i'd rather have a manager who doesn't just insist on playing "his" chosen way every single game regardless of results and how we played etc.

The problem has been though that it has taken Lambert within an inch of our Premiership status to find the right system with the players available.

But the problem is we've had different players available far too often this season.

We went through something like nine games where we had injuries every game. There has rarely been a run of games with the same squad available.

With new players trying to get used to the club, level of football etc, the regular enforced changes hasn't helped them settle and adapt.