Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I very much doubt we'd get 10m for Guzan.

As good as I think he is, that's a lot of money for a goalkeeper.

On second thoughts it was perhaps a bit high but I would still think that at 29 and having shown he can do it in the Prem, he would command at least £8m.  Lloris went for a ridiculously cheap price and is worth at least £15m.  I'm sure Wenger would be interested in someone like Guzan and maybe even Fergie would think he's more dependable than De Gea.  He would still provide a massive profit for Lambert.

I would take £24m+ in a heartbeat for Benteke.  I doubt he would sign a new contract with us and his value would only decrease imo.  We could buy two decent wingers, a central midfielder and a commanding centre back for £6m each whilst keeping Bent and Weimann who will score goals in a better team.  This has to be Lambert's main strategy for rebuilding the club imo, and it's crucial he keeps finding players on the cheap that can keep turning profit.  It's quite refreshing that we can talk about money we've spent that looks like not being written off.

yeah, lambert's long term goal needs to look something like this (assuming he's around this long)

season 1: buy young and cheap

season 2: buy young and cheap

season 3: sell off season 1's more successful signings for big money, supplement young and cheap players with more experienced and expensive players using money from sales

season 4: sell off season 2's more successful signings for big money, supplement young and cheap players with more experienced and expensive players using money from sales

season 5: sell off one or two of the most successful players at the club, buy the right player regardless of age and experience

season 6: sell off one or two of the most successful players at the club, buy the right player regardless of age and experience

season 7: now in a position not to need to sell off every year

it's a long, long road ahead of us, but it's the only road back towards the right end of the table 

I doubt he has started plans that far out. I would rather think he has a three year plan or so, and then build upon from there as the seasons go.

no he wouldn't have at all, but that's most likely the club's plans (assuming lerner intends on sticking around much longer). it's also really the only way to do it these days without a massive cash injection that'd **** you over with FFP anyway

I very much doubt we'd get 10m for Guzan.

As good as I think he is, that's a lot of money for a goalkeeper.

On second thoughts it was perhaps a bit high but I would still think that at 29 and having shown he can do it in the Prem, he would command at least £8m.  Lloris went for a ridiculously cheap price and is worth at least £15m.  I'm sure Wenger would be interested in someone like Guzan and maybe even Fergie would think he's more dependable than De Gea.  He would still provide a massive profit for Lambert.

Fair enough, bu I still think you're overhyping him a bit. (and again, I REALLY like Guzan so don't think I'm talking him down)

There's no way he'd be ahead of De Gea, for example. De Gea's had a shaky start but he's a very very good goalkeeper.

yeah, lambert's long term goal needs to look something like this (assuming he's around this long)

season 3: sell off season 1's more successful signings for big money, supplement young and cheap players with more experienced and expensive players using money from sales

season 4: sell off season 2's more successful signings for big money, supplement young and cheap players with more experienced and expensive players using money from sales

season 5: sell off one or two of the most successful players at the club, buy the right player regardless of age and experience

season 6: sell off one or two of the most successful players at the club, buy the right player regardless of age and experience

it's a long, long road ahead of us, but it's the only road back towards the right end of the table 

Sounds good but I think Lerners real plan is.

**** the team lets make as much $$$$ as possable. 

I'd say Benteke is worth closer to £30m and Guzan closer to £5m, which is why we'll probably sell the former but keep the latter.

Although personally I wouldn't sell Benteke for less than £40m. He's going to be hot property at the end of the season.

Give me some of what you've been smoking. 40m for Benteke !?!?!?

You need to remember that Andy Carroll was a panic buy and remove that thought from your head immediately.

Then consider Sergio Aguero - 38m Samir Nasri - 24m David Silva - 25m Carlos Tevez - 25.5m ...

Them players wasn't at a Nowadays-feeder-club such as ourselves who have a bad history of letting our best players go + we could be getting relegated this year...

I know what you mean but 40m you would need to wake up and smell the coffee :/

This is pretty much what Spurs have done - would be great if we could replicate it. If they can keep Bale they will challenge for the title before too long.

I'd say Benteke is worth closer to £30m and Guzan closer to £5m, which is why we'll probably sell the former but keep the latter.

Although personally I wouldn't sell Benteke for less than £40m. He's going to be hot property at the end of the season.

Give me some of what you've been smoking. 40m for Benteke !?!?!?

You need to remember that Andy Carroll was a panic buy and remove that thought from your head immediately.

Then consider Sergio Aguero - 38m Samir Nasri - 24m David Silva - 25m Carlos Tevez - 25.5m ...

Them players wasn't at a Nowadays-feeder-club such as ourselves who have a bad history of letting our best players go + we could be getting relegated this year...

I know what you mean but 40m you would need to wake up and smell the coffee :/

We'll see.

• Like 1

This is pretty much what Spurs have done - would be great if we could replicate it. If they can keep Bale they will challenge for the title before too long.

Yeah the spurs model is really the only viable one left for smaller clubs. It needs a few things to work though, arguably the most important of which is that the fans understand that it's a very long term plan. It has to be expected and understood that we will be selling our most successful players more frequently than we have even in the last few years. If the manager can replace them with similarly successful buys, then it's not an issue

has anyone got a list of all the players Lambert has bought so far and/or their cost?

This is what i can remember:

Benteke - £7m

Vlaar - £4m

Lowton - £3m

El-Ahmadi - £2.5m

Sylla - £2m

Westwood - £2m

Bowery - £0.75m

Bennett - ?

Guzan - free

Dawkins - loan

Have i missed anyone?

Considering Benteke is probably sellable for £24m and Guzan close to £10m that's decent profit

I thought Vlaar cost £2m and El Ahmadi £1.8m...

It seems straight forward.. almost too straight forward for modern day football.

Also like you said assuming he will stay that long - i highly doubt he will be here for 7 seasons.

It seems straight forward.. almost too straight forward for modern day football.

Also like you said assuming he will stay that long - i highly doubt he will be here for 7 seasons.

well whenever he goes, the job has to continue from the point he left off really, which is the job of the board

well whenever he goes, the job has to continue from the point he left off really, which is the job of the board

This is why we need a knowledgeable DOF on board imo.

Look at Swansea, how well they've been able to continue with the same philosophy in playing style and keep a successful transfer policy and the finances under control despite managers coming and going.

Even the Tesco lot down in Smethwick have not suffered from managers coming and going a lot in the last few years as there are people at the club who actually know what they are doing.

It would be nice if Lambert could be as successful as Moyes at Everton and build that type of legacy, but being realistic the average stay of a PL manager nowadays must be around 2 years.

"I think if you look at some of the teams that have done it, my old club [borussia] Dortmund are probably the prime example. They had a clear plan".

"I was at Dortmund at a time when they had world class players and then the club lost its way a little bit and then came back."

"They had a plan to do what they're doing, and a few years later they're not too far away from having more massive success".

"Could that happen at Villa? If you get time to build it, that's the plan."

I wonder if he will feel the same when we roll over and sell Benteke in the summer

Remember we are building for the future after all

Edited by AshVilla