Paul Lambert

Pilchard

No they aren't. I can assure you! Benteke is on less than that which might seem surprising but it fact. You seem to either be intentionally missing my point or are too thick to understand it. I don't disagree with you that paying a player around £30,000-a-week is pretty much average at the bottom end of the Premier League. But clubs such as Wigan don't have eight, nine or ten players all earning £60,000 plus do they? Hence why Lambert couldn't go out and sign eight players in the summer and give them all a wage of between £30,000 and £40,000 a week. Does that register??? Therefore, he maybe had to also target some players to come on on a salary far less than what other Premier League clubs offer. And, as a result of that, signing some of the players you mentioned who are on around £40,000 weren't an option open to him? Please tell me this is beginnning to sink in?

So, He was at Norwich, doing well and they have money to spend and can afford 40k a week players. Villa come calling, Paul, come here, we have much less money and you can get players in who are on 15k a week and try avoiding relegation instead? He knew what he was getting into either way and he thought he could get us into a decent position, which he cant.

Hes had money and invested it poorly. Why did he spend 700k on Bowery for example? We have about 6 strikers for **** sake.

We have players on 40k-60k a week who are not playing. Bent/Given/Warnock/Hutton and the last two are arguably better than the players we are playing. Lambert stubbornness to not play them is down to him, im 100% sure we would be better off with Warnock in the team. We shouldn't have the same budget as Wigan we are a much much bigger club. He could have built a team around Bent but didn't and its his fault if the players aren't performing. We had a half decent team before this, all hes done is bolster our youth team and made it our first team. The blame lies 100% with him and Lerner, his decisions have been poor in every department.

• Like 1

If all this is true . Lambert has shown he has no guts or bottle for standing for it.

Indeed, I thought when we bought him in we had a manager with plenty of guts, someone who would fight his corner. From what I've seen since he came here, he is really the opposite.

If all this is true . Lambert has shown he has no guts or bottle for standing for it.

He probably agreed to it when becoming the Villa manager. He probably thought it would be a lot easier to shift some of the players we have.

Randy probably said "you have x% of the revenue to spend on player wages. How you do that is up to you."

That "x%" is probably considerably higher than what he had to work with at Norwich. So Lambert joins but soon realises he can't sell our players, so can't buy players, and Randy wont shift on his wage policy. Whilst in the long run we will be better off when the high earners do eventually leave, until their contracts run out they seem to be not going anywhere.

Edited by PieFacE

The blame lies 100% with him and Lerner

Insightful stuff

He probably agreed to it when becoming the Villa manager. He probably thought it would be a lot easier to shift some of the players we have.

Randy probably said "you have x% of the revenue to spend on player wages. How you do that is up to you."

That "x%" is probably considerably higher than what he had to work with at Norwich. So Lambert joins but soon realises he can't sell our players, so can't buy players, and Randy wont shift on his wage policy. Whilst in the long run we will be better off when the high earners do eventually leave, until their contracts run out they seem to be not going anywhere.

Spot on I think

Ivan Gaskell @IvanGaskell1

PL:"We dont want to spend money on players & then see the club in financial trouble if we go down

So thats it then, he is prepared to go down - this confirms everything about Lerner he has lost interest after all his fale promises and Lambert has no bottle

Surely any man taking on such a big job that was going to be worth so much money to him would have done a little more research into it than that?

Edited by limvillian

Well I'm not happy with Lambert and the decisions he has made but from what is coming from him and the press he is safe no matter what. (Not happy with this either)

So saying that I'm just going to try and be as positive as I can and get behind the team. I'm going to look for the positives in every game and continue to pray to God that we can stay up. Fed up feel so negative everytime I think about the club so going to be a feel like a child again and support Villa for who they are and not worry about our league position.

Once the season ends I'm going to look at it again and speak accordiingly.

UTV

Surely any man taking on such a big job that was going to be worth so much money to him would have done a little more research into it than that?

Research into what? Trying to sell Villa's players when he was the Norwich manager????

Insightful stuff

Spot on I think

So Lambert came here thinking it would be easy to shift very average players on very inflated wages just like that?

And here i was, thinking is was OGS that played Football Manager

If Lambert thought it would be easy to shift the likes of Hutton, Warnock, Makoun, Dunne, Given... then he's shockingly naive

Him and Lerner new what was coming this season, hence all the "long term plan" stuff.

He was given £20mill but told to bring in as many players as possible and on low wages as Lerner wants the clubs wages down to £50mill.

That's why his job isn't on the line as its all part of the long term plan they have of making the club self sufficient and on a business model that "works"

The fact he's not spending now suggests Lerner is more than willing to let us go down in order to keep wages down and start again rather than bring in players just to keep us up but end up paying high wages.

I think it's the start of a long shit road of righting the wrongs MON and Lerner made on pursuit of the CL.

Maybe I shall try to put this in more simple terms for you.

Villa's playing staff wage is over £55m a year. That has to come down. The reason it is so high is players such as Ireland and Nzogbia earn over £60,000-a-week. Bent is on even more than that and Given is on just less than that. So bsically they are taking up two wages each if you look at it that way. Does that make sense?

You then have Hutton and Warnock on over £35,000-a-week. So you have two hopeless players there taking up good money that could be used on two guys who can actually operate well in the Premier League. There are also a few other players I haven't mentioned.

!

so just let me get this straight, not disputing this but if true lets just get some perspective to it.

Mon left this club for what is widely recognised as Lerner deciding to cut back and reign in investment on players not playing, so we would spend within our means? And because Lerner stopped mon making sole decisions on what players would be getting, so t get some control back.

All the players mentioned here (warnock aside) were signed after mon left. What happened, did they hire him back on a consultancy or something to negotiate the contracts or was all that about mon have sole decision making yet more bollocks?

So Lambert came here thinking it would be easy to shift very average players on very inflated wages just like that?

And here i was, thinking is was OGS that played Football Manager

If Lambert thought it would be easy to shift the likes of Hutton, Warnock, Makoun, Dunne, Given... then he's shockingly naive

Making up your own narrative again aren't you!

What has he said that makes you assume he thought it would be easy?? Where has he said that he would be able to shift them "just like that"?

I'm sure he thought this season was going to be a struggle - whenever he was interviewed early on - even when things were going well, he said "this will not be sorted in a few months, this is a long long process

Shockingly naive my arse

The extra TV money for being in the Prem next year would cover our entire wage bill as it is for the year would it not?

Yes and that's why I think Lerner is convinced that we'd go down no matter what we'd buy. They obviously think that why invest into players since it wouldn't make any difference?

Research into what? Trying to sell Villa's players when he was the Norwich manager????

Are you telling me before he signed on the dotted line he couldn't have looked and seen the wage breakdown of the players in the squad?????

Are you telling me before he signed on the dotted line he couldn't have looked and seen the wage breakdown of the players in the squad?????

Oh of course he would have seen that. I'm sure he was happy with it. After all he has already brought in what, 8 players without needing to sell them. If he had of managed to shift Warnock, Hutton & Dunne he would have more than likely bought more than 8 players in. How was he going to know that no one was going to sign the players we want to sell? Seeing as he managed to sell Collins why is it naive to think he wouldn't be able to sell Warnock or Hutton? They're equally as shit as Collins aren't they? 

It's pretty obvious we are working on a sell to buy policy when you consider the Collins/Vlaar saga. Lambert obviously knew this from the start and was happy he could offload some of these players. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1