Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Yes i remember your attempt to select a period that suited you in order to bang on about improvements and moan at anyone who didn't see it. Oh and then what happened?

Are there positives? Compared to the awful year last season, not many.

Yes the period I selected was the period where our performances and points return were improving - from the start of the season up to the Chelsea game

pltrendspng_zpsd3171998.png

Even when we reached the giddy heights of 666 with MONs "Forest funnel" football we were always in the mid 70% for passing accuracy which all the "Sky 4" teams traditionally average in the high 80's. I think this is what seperates the top teams from the rest.

apt point

Lambert has said " Lack of experience is not a problem" I wish I knew the answer, not that it would matter as I can't do anything about it. I think our physique has a bearing , we are simply brushed aside in some critical positions which creates anxiety in defence.

I don't buy the argument that we are a weak team but I do agree we do need a physical presence in CM - I do think that that one addition would make the whole team look better.

Sissoko would have been ideal but even Trotter or Stephens would surely make a difference - from what I've heard we are getting no-one

I don't buy the argument that we are a weak team but I do agree we do need a physical presence in CM - I do think that that one addition would make the whole team look better.

Sissoko would have been ideal but even Trotter or Stephens would surely make a difference - from what I've heard we are getting no-one

Its difficult, because one too many lightweights can tip you over the edge.... equally every player built like a brick shithouse, is no good either.

Its getting that valuable balance right.

• Like 1

Flat passing requires a good surface - Villa Park has it.

Pass and move, pass and move.

If you are patient spaces open up for you because the opposition eventually switches off and lets you in.

It's not so much the passing (although that is not very good) but the moving that is what we need to work on.

How was it out of context? It's quite clear.

Do you think the manager and board deserve lots of credit if we stay up?

I think you completely misunderstood what he meant.

Lambert will deserve credit yes, absolutely. He will have achieved the task set before him.

Do I think the board deserve credit? Well that's hard for me to admit. I'm far too emotive when it comes to such things. Will I admire their balls? In a way, yes. Obviously I struggle with the concept of them "gambling" with our near future in such a way and I absolutely agree they got us into this mess. So I carry a certain bitterness towards them for it.

However, as Blandy says if it comes off and we do push on as I absolutely believe is the intention, then I will likely admit some congratulations towards them yes.

It's a bold move. One I would never personally make.

• Like 2

I find most things to do with the club rather tedious.

At this moment in time I can see why there is a negative edge to people's posts. Some people aren't happy to stick with lambert no matter what. Some people don't think we're better off as a club with Lerner as owner.

This has never been a board for just one sided opinions and I hope it doesn't become that.

I'd also say i can't see many people twisting things to be negative. You don't have to twist what's happening.

It always tickles me...The positive v negative thing.

For me there are just opinions. The positives just claim the moral high ground to drive home their opinion.

Blind Faith, which is sometimes employed is not necessarily a passport to positivity....IMO Positivity to be credible must be accompanied with feasible substance. That is not always the case.

It's not so much the passing (although that is not very good) but the moving that is what we need to work on.

Good point (you are at least the second person to make this point).

The need to move better would be more obvious to players if they were taught a short passing system.

Kick it long all the time, they don't learn that there is any need to learn.

I did have you down as a lunatic, however I think there might be something in what you say

That said, I'm not sure how we could implement any changes based on that - what is it you want the team to do?

Our central midfield should be dominating the match, passing the long balls and dictating a shorter passing play.

Currently our game is dominated by the defence, especially the WBs Lowton and Bennett who get a disproportionate number of touches and passes compared to their ball skill/passing ability.

When our defenders kick the majority of long balls they do they only have 50/50 chance of being on target. So half the time when we kick it long it's a defender doing so, and half the time a defender passes long it hands the ball back to the opposition.

How do we get the midfield more involved in the match? This is the question to which everyone knows the answer: we need a defensive mid.

It would also help to train our defenders to pass the ball short in-field more often so the more talented ball-players get more possession.

Just because Delph, Bannan, Westwood, El Ahmadi has passed the ball short backwards or sideways to them, doesn't mean they don't want to see the ball again!

Edited by Con

Lambert deserves untold credit if stay up, he's had no where near the support required.

He signed the spine of our team, Guzan, Vlaar, Westwood and Beneteke, for not a lot of cash.

I think the other two have ability, but it's not working, hey they only cost 5.5m between them!

Lambert is the man!

• Like 1

Lambert needs to drop the 5-3-2, it's not working. That's his decision and his fault. Don't get me wrong I think he had a great record and fully support his appointment, and actually like him. But he's not above criticism here.

We need Dunne back, a simple back 4. We need to take pressure of the young lads at WB by making them orthodox FB's. We need KEA back, I gather he is in the Africa for a while which is a shame, big player for us, should never have been dropped. Put 3/5 in CM and 3/1 up front. (4-3-3/4-5-1)

Lambert needs to drop the 5-3-2, it's not working. That's his decision and his fault. Don't get me wrong I think he had a great record and fully support his appointment, and actually like him. But he's not above criticism here.

We need Dunne back, a simple back 4. We need to take pressure of the young lads at WB by making them orthodox FB's. We need KEA back, I gather he is in the Africa for a while which is a shame, big player for us, should never have been dropped. Put 3/5 in CM and 3/1 up front. (4-3-3/4-5-1)

Where do you get the 5-3-2 from ?

Against WBA we lined up 3-4-3 and against Southampton we lined up 3-5-2

I have to watch our games on TV and the formation is on screen before the match, after that it is easy to see that the formations that are on screen are correct.

Where do you get the 5-3-2 from ?

Against WBA we lined up 3-4-3 and against Southampton we lined up 3-5-2

I have to watch our games on TV and the formation is on screen before the match, after that it is easy to see that the formations that are on screen are correct.

Not sure I'd trust the TV version.

Formation here

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/615154/Live

3-4-2-1

or 3-4-3

So Mcleish is one of the worst managers we've ever had, a complete failure and needed to be sacked the minute the season ended but if Lambert does the same he deserves enormous credit. Where's the logic in that?

What is he getting credit for? Taking an awful defence and making it worse?

Taking an average attacking side and making it worse?

Getting less points?

Taking a team that played poor football and did little to improve it?

If we're not careful we'll end up as ridiculous as Liverpool fans when it came to king kenny.

• Like 1