Paul Lambert

Pilchard

You're doing it again! So we might or might not sign a player from the Bundersliga! You can't lose with a statement like that!

Name the club, or go one step further and state the player's name (and don't start with the tosh about not wanting to alert other teams to his availability! Don't worry - the player's have agents for that).

I can say I've heard some information that we will sign a player for over £10M if we can get a deal done. It's a no lose statement.

You must have forgotten to send me the information you mentioned.

You sound just like a former regular poster who now spams twitter with their pie in the sky BS

Respect is earned not demanded. As was pointed out you are a new by on here with no track record supposedly claiming to be it. Put up or shut up is what I think we want.

I must say I don't understand the aggression.

Bloke posts a few things, may or may not be what will happen, doesn't come across as a windup, but is treated like he's completely taking the piss. He is asked to provide detailed, precise predictions, as though each transfer is a matter of complete certainty and if it doesn't happen exactly like that then he's shown to be a complete Walter Mitty.

Is it that some people resent others having a little bit of information which they might not have themselves, or what? Because it doesn't seem to be warranted from what he's posted.

106% wages to turnover really? The accounts published for year ending May 2010 showed wages to turnover at 88%. This was the peak under O'Neill. What season does this 106% relate to?

Also where have you got this 50% of wages to turnover figure from? that is way too low to be anything like competitive.

Of course we don't have to assume that turnover remains static, and in Lambert's place, if you were set such a target, you'd want to know what others in the club were going to be doing about their end of it, specifically generating more income, more efficiently.

I must say I don't understand the aggression.

Bloke posts a few things, may or may not be what will happen, doesn't come across as a windup, but is treated like he's completely taking the piss. He is asked to provide detailed, precise predictions, as though each transfer is a matter of complete certainty and if it doesn't happen exactly like that then he's shown to be a complete Walter Mitty.

Is it that some people resent others having a little bit of information which they might not have themselves, or what? Because it doesn't seem to be warranted from what he's posted.

Well since you asked I for one am tired of this same bullshit every year from these football cold readers desperate for a month of looking like the big man,

We already know the people on this site that might get the drop on things ahead of time, just like we know already they all have their own reasons for not wanting to share that on a public forum right now.

So if someone appears out of nowhere complaining that we aren't falling over ourselves to listen to their vague bollocks they can do one as far as I'm concerned and then that way everyone is happy.

If we are signing someone they'll be stood outside Bodymoor Heath with a scarf over their head in due course. Leave the whispering nonsense to the gullible twitter **** where it belongs.

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 1

So if someone appears out of nowhere complaining that we aren't falling over ourselves to listen to their vague bollocks they can do one as far as I'm concerned

Me too.

But that's not what's happened here, is it? He's come on and posted a number of comments (very) supportive of Lambert, giving what seems to be a little insight into what he's dealing with. His comments have been fairly general and about strategy and resources, not saying "x will be signed on Thursday" - which now seems to be a complaint against him, like he's pretending to more knowledge than he has. Weird.

That's quite different to the bombastic ITK bollocks on twitter, or the teasing come-ons that a former poster wound people up with.

Seems to me he's being bracketed with these others, unfairly. And that any "complaints" he's made (mild efforts to defend himself would be more accurate) have been only in response to being called a bullshitter. Both he and his critics have suggested his views be judged in a few weeks time. Seems reasonable.

So comparing the moscow squad to the pottential bradford squad is pretty pointless really.

So we agree then :) That's what I said at the start albeit for slightly different reasons.

Lambert won't base his decision on how many games the squad have played this season. If he does put a weakened team out against Bradford if will be because he wants to save his best players for the premiership. Which is exactly what Mon was doing when he made his decision.

Putting out a weakened side is a fairly specific thing where you throw loads of kids in who wouldn't ordinarily play in the first team. Like what Wenger does in the League Cup or what MON did in Moscow. If; say; Lambert puts El Ahmadi back in or puts Given in goal or brings an extra midfielder in to give Weimann or Benteke a rest, that's just squad rotation. It's not what the term 'weakened team' means. I'd also be more critical of him if he didn't make some alterations. I'd hate for the same 11 players to turn out against Southampton that turned out against Bradford. It would worry me more than a bit.

Me too.

But that's not what's happened here, is it? He's come on and posted a number of comments (very) supportive of Lambert, giving what seems to be a little insight into what he's dealing with. His comments have been fairly general and about strategy and resources, not saying "x will be signed on Thursday" - which now seems to be a complaint against him, like he's pretending to more knowledge than he has. Weird.

That's quite different to the bombastic ITK bollocks on twitter, or the teasing come-ons that a former poster wound people up with.

Seems to me he's being bracketed with these others, unfairly. And that any "complaints" he's made (mild efforts to defend himself would be more accurate) have been only in response to being called a bullshitter. Both he and his critics have suggested his views be judged in a few weeks time. Seems reasonable.

Seconded

I once posted an ITK about Heskey which proved accurate (the only ITK I've ever posted) and recieved shedloads of abuse and asked to prove how I knew (someone close the Heskey had told me). I really can't understand why people react so angrily? Weird? I actually think that what HH posts makes a lot of sense and shows a fair bit of inside knowledge, but even if it is BS, so what

""Respect is earned not demanded. As was pointed out you are a new by on here with no track record supposedly claiming to be it. Put up or shut up is what I think we want.""

Chill out mate! No need for that

I think he speaks a bit of sense whether the info is true or not

Lamberts been tasked with reducing the wage bill to around 50% or our income as opposed to the 106% it was at its highest.

The only way to do that is to sign players who don't command huge wages, that's what he's doing and it will take time / a few seasons of struggling around the bottom of the table.

How do you know he has been tasked with reducing the wage bill. Is it not that its Lambert's philosophy to purchase youth but he did nevertheless put in a bid for Clint Dempsey who would have asked for wages on a par with Bent and Ireland.

I wish we had a manager who would just assemble the best team for the current season. Since we started these long term plans or building for the future - the results have gone through the floor.

ok im exaggerating - but you get the point. Football is very much about the here and now - the only teams that spout off about the future are those who keep loosing !

Nail on the head for me.

How do you know he has been tasked with reducing the wage bill. Is it not that its Lambert's philosophy to purchase youth but he did nevertheless put in a bid for Clint Dempsey who would have asked for wages on a par with Bent and Ireland.

IMO Dempsey was just a propaganda-fictious bid arranged by lerner and faulkner because knowing full well he wouldnt come here.

We could bid £50m for rooney knowing full well he wouldnt come but it makes some fans think we mean business...

Hell we could even safely bid £250m for messi knowing full well, jack shit aint gonna happen.

Apart from what lerner and faulkner wants... Back page of the mail / express & star to help shift a few season tickets!

I wish we had a manager who would just assemble the best team for the current season. Since we started these long term plans or building for the future - the results have gone through the floor.

Like MON? Cos that's pretty much what he did and it only gets you so far. I think if a manager can successfully build a squad for the long term it will be far more beneficial for AVFC. Problem is, it's much harder to do.

Edited by PieFacE

I always got the impression that the supposed Dempsey deal was just a PR stunt to give Genk a kick up the arse over Benteke.

For a completely different player? I don't buy it, myself.

Like MON? Cos that's pretty much what he did and it only gets you so far. I think if a manager can successfully build a squad for the long term it will be far more beneficial for AVFC. Problem is, it's much harder to do.

I could live with a bit more 'here and now'-MON transfer policy at the moment. Buying for the future is all nice and well if you have an established team. We need results NOW not when the likes of Lowton, Westwood and other Bennetts have reached their full potential.

So if Stephens is all we're going for, we'll need a shitload of luck to survive, as again he's for the future

Nail on the head for me.

Brilliant - and end up with the next batch of Dunne's Zog's Warnock's Sidwell's and Hutton's. It hasnt worked for QPR has it!

Just because we haven't had instant success doesn't mean we should give up straight away

I'd rather build something worthwhile thanks