Paul Lambert

Pilchard

We conceded less goals because we set up to defend all the time and rarely attacked even when we went a goal or two down. Teams knew this and were happy to stand off us most of the time once they'd gotten a goal or two and save themselves the effort.

Now we're talking. Now THAT was a unit. Far better than the overrated Dunne and Collins.

It's actually nice to know that when teams scored against us they stopped playing in the knowledge that they had already won the game. It's a pity someone didn't tell the fans that so they could all go home early.

What an utter load of bollocks.

It's actually nice to know that when teams scored against us they stopped playing in the knowledge that they had already won the game. It's a pity someone didn't tell the fans that so they could all go home early.

What an utter load of bollocks.

In a lot of games teams took their foot off the gas once they'd scored a goal or two because they knew we we content with losing by a small margin under McLeish.

Why is it bollocks? Did you not watch us last season?

Different players, Nzonzi plays the deeper of the two, breaks up play and passes it off. Diame seems to be more of a inferior version of Yaya Toure in the sense he pushes forward much more. I'd happily have had them both.

How much did those two move for? About the same amount Lambert paid for the excellent KEA?

I actually think there is a time to park the bus or at least understand that you are against a team that could seriously un do you.

On the back of the great win at Liverpool we rode our luck closed them down frustrated them and caught them on the break with some superb counter attacking football.

You sometimes have to know your place.... we ain't the possession kings of Europe and we should have entered the Chelsea game with an air of trepidation and consolidated what we did at Liverpool.

to take them on and start believing we had the ability to play them at their own game was suicide.... Villa to me at Chelsea was far too open and we failed to close them down like we did at Anfield.

We then sleep walk in to a fixture at home where we feel obliged to correct the wrong at Chelsea.... mistake.

There is an old saying in football " you win the right to play" you simply cannot go out and start mixing it with these guys before knowing where you stand.

This will be a big learning curve and I hope they all learn the hard fact that you have to learn to defend before you can attack.

The other thing I would like to observe is this.

I genuinely believe and support Lambert in his pursuit of " young hungry" players but we all know a balance is required. Ron saunders did something similar, but there was subtle differerence. Ron went after second tier players at First division clubs and turned them in to stars on the bodymoor Heath training ground ably aided by Tony Barton & Roy McLaren...They had an ability to stifle the opposition and then win the game... they were essentially resilient first and creative second.

I have a few worries with our present philosophy our young guns are not only inexperienced, not only from lower divisions, not only young..... but more worryingly Lightweight.

I am loathe to persuade Lambert to abondone his plan, for the insipid " meal ticket" experienced free loader.... but guys we do need a balance.

I like these young kids and the injuries have highlighted the imbalance, but they do need the help of a composed "steadie eddie"for them to look to and i think midfield is where they need it.

Stillian Petrov is a massive loss to us and more importantly a massive loss to these kids... I don't think some of us appreciated just what a tremendous presence he was ( and I'm not being sentimental)

The 12 goals against is a bit of a pisser, but hey we have always been the ones in this league since william McGregor created the bloody thing so its fitting we create yet another record.

I would just like to finish by saying the fans in Holte reminded me of the fans at Nottingham Forest when we were getting beaten 6-0 and we were ex European champions.....THE FANS WERE FANTASTIC in the face of adversity.

MAKE NO MISTAKE WE WILL BE BACK.

PS Just renewed my season tickets after 4 years ..... I can put up with times like this, just didn't like hoof football, from players who could have done better.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I'm glad you knew which four I was talking about. They can't be all that bad then.

Darren Bent did score the odd goal this season, yes, but most of us seem to agree that his work rate wasn't good enough. If the squad is as bad as you suggest, then someone who doesn't work hard enough is a luxury.

As I said in the post you quoted, Lambert did pretty well in the transfer window. He may not have spent all of his budget, but for one am glad he got the players he did, and I'm not sure that either the time or the money available would have stretched further to include the kind of superstar winger you seem to think we should have signed.

doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out which four does it based on how bad the rest are, doesn't mean they are as much of a success as you seem to think. I mentioned a winger, i didn't say superstar winger, right now i'd be happy if Lambert played Carruthers.

Bent scored the odd goal? I think he has scored more than the odd goal for us, would it make any difference if he ran round like a headless chicken as well? Goals aren't enough on their own? We've wanted a selfish goal poacher since the days of Saunders and Yorke, we get one and everyone bleats on about how he's a luxury player, along with Ireland and Nzogbia. Anyone who has any actual talent is a luxury player and mercenary these days.

Young hungry but crap is the level we want and expect?

Edited by VillanousOne

isn't he? My bad I always thought he was a wide player?

official site says he's a midfielder, i'm guessing then he's an attacking one?

I'm sure when he had that cameo under McCleish he played wide?

and for the record i want the all the young players and all signings regardless of who signed them to do well and I hope that they start to prove me and all other doubters wrong.

Edited by VillanousOne

How much did those two move for? About the same amount Lambert paid for the excellent KEA?

Of course there's no certainty at all that we could have signed either one of them

KEA has been poor so far and was particularly disappointing on Wednesday.

We really need to sign someone to add some strength to midfield in January