Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Had man utd ever conceded 6 at home to man city at home before last season, arsenal conceded 8 to man utd before last season?

NO. They **** havnt. Shit happens. Stop believing this "we are aston villa, we should not be losing". This club is one of half a dozen clubs that used successful but not anymore. See Leeds and forrest as the two most obvious examples. Yes today is a bad day, historically the worst since 1874, but you know what, the sooner you accept that we aren't that good, we aren't what we used to be the sooner you, along with others on this board realise that, the sooner you will stop having arguments over a **** keyboard over a football match.

You're just ranting about something completely different now.

You said results like today will happen, i pointed out this attitude was ridiculous as its the first time its happened to us in over 3000 games.

You're now ranting about people who think we're aston villa and we should never lose which is just utter nonsense.

Lambert got it wrong today, the players were totally outclassed and Chelsea were absolutely brilliant. I'm okay with the result today, providing we get a positive reaction from it over the next few games. Think it was a reality check for everyone at the club today.

• Like 1

I think the team need a break/rest.

I agree, players that have been bought up from lower leagues and abroad need time to get up the strength and stamina levels of the players already in the premiership. Therefore players like Westwood, Lowton etc are naturally going to tire. Then next season they will probably be ready for a full season.

I think you all need to accept that we were beaten yesterday because we were worse than poor and totally outclassed by a struggling Chelsea side just back from a very long trip which some posters had suggested would give us a more than reasonable chance of beating Chelsea.

It was nothing to do with fatigue or decisions by the referee.

Losing 0-8 and still trying to excuse it won't wash with anyone.

I think you all need to accept that we were beaten yesterday because we were worse than poor and totally outclassed by a struggling Chelsea side just back from a very long trip which some posters had suggested would give us a more than reasonable chance of beating Chelsea.

Everyone has accepted that though. Nobody has said we weren't outclassed or that we weren't shit

we were thumped but maybe need to be knocked back to earth from last week. it will show us a hell of a lot about the character of the squad with their reaction in the next few games

I wouldnt be surprised of a performance vs Spurs on wednesday

we were thumped but maybe need to be knocked back to earth from last week. it will show us a hell of a lot about the character of the squad with their reaction in the next few games

I wouldnt be surprised of a performance vs Spurs on wednesday

But why though? I keep hearing people say that. It don't make any sense to me. Why couldn't we give it a go? West ham and West Brom did and won.

well it would stop players thinking cause they won at Anfield then they have made it plus both them sides were playing at home in front of their own fans and had chelsea at a low ebb. we caught them on back of 5 2nd half goals in the week

plus didnt Palace lose 9-0 to Liverpool and then beat them in FA Cup semi-final, could be same at Wembley if we both get there ;)

Norwich City fan here. I still take an interest in how Lambo gets on because he did so much for us. Obviously today is an embarrassing one and it is very tough to swallow. But in many ways Lambert's attitude to this game summed up why I hold in such high esteem as a manager. He will always attempt to win the game no matter what the opposition or situation. That is something to be applauded. Wins are the currency of any division and will ultimately move you up the league rather than dogged, determined draws. It does mean that for every stunning away victory you get (Liverpool for you and Spurs for us) there may be the odd game you get annihilated trying to chase the game (yours was Chelsea and ours was Man City last year). However I think most rational supporters will accept this downside because it does give you the potential to collect more points. Think of the number of late points he won for Norwich through his positive intent. I have no doubt the same will happen at Villa.

The key thing for Villa supporters is to remain level headed and rational. The club is moving in the right direction. The performances against Norwich and Liverpool in recent weeks were excellent. However young players will have peaks and troughs in performance. Villa weren't the finished article after those games but conversely they are now not the worst side ever by virtue of this result either. There is some excellent talent at the club. Christian Benteke looks a top class striker in the making, Ashley Westwood looks a natural at this level and Matthew Lowton looks very good as well to me. If you stick with a young side still in transition, the rewards will come. David Moyes had some difficulties day early on in his tenure as Everton manager. There is no reason that Paul Lambert cannot achieve the same with Villa if given time.

exactly.

I cannot like this as I have reached my quota but it is still a top post.

I was also about to post what jim did on the previous page. Arsenal had eight put past them by manure last season, manure had six put past them by citeh. Freak results, unfortunately this was our turn

Whilst we are not as good as the Norwich and Liverpool results suggested we are not as poor as yesterdays result either. The truth lies somewhere in between.

There are however two glaring concerns. Lack of goals and how poor we are at times defensively. Even at Norwich and Liverpool where we achieved two fantastic results we could easily have conceded 4 at Norwich and another couple at Liverpool. Herd is not a centre back. I love his all out attitude but positionally he is all over the place and is way too rash at times. Clark needs an experienced head alongside him still which at 23 perhaps still shouldn't be the case. I like Baker but you put him with the other 2 and it brings his game down. This area needs addressing in January as even with Vlaar back we still lack as I don't see Dunne kicking a ball for us again.

Then we have the issue of lack of goals. We have the players to stick the ball in the net what we don't have is any creativity in midfield. Again another area Lambert desperately needs to address in January. Bannan is not good enough and until we do sign someone I'd rather see Ireland in the team.

It is also now time for Lambert to drop Lichaj and give Bennett a run who despite a shaky start I hope can come good with a run of games and should certainly be suited to playing as a wing back if we are to persist with playing 3 centre backs. You can't fault Lichaj's attitude he gives 100% but he simply is not good enough.

Massive transfer window coming up. I hope Lerner backs his manager as we desperately need 2 or 3 players who can make an instant impact.

Whilst we are not as good as the Norwich and Liverpool results suggested we are not as poor as yesterdays result either. The truth lies somewhere in between.

There are however two glaring concerns. Lack of goals and how poor we are at times defensively. Even at Norwich and Liverpool where we achieved two fantastic results we could easily have conceded 4 at Norwich and another couple at Liverpool. Herd is not a centre back. I love his all out attitude but positionally he is all over the place and is way too rash at times. Clark needs an experienced head alongside him still which at 23 perhaps still shouldn't be the case. I like Baker but you put him with the other 2 and it brings his game down. This area needs addressing in January as even with Vlaar back we still lack as I don't see Dunne kicking a ball for us again.

Then we have the issue of lack of goals. We have the players to stick the ball in the net what we don't have is any creativity in midfield. Again another area Lambert desperately needs to address in January. Bannan is not good enough and until we do sign someone I'd rather see Ireland in the team.

It is also now time for Lambert to drop Lichaj and give Bennett a run who despite a shaky start I hope can come good with a run of games and should certainly be suited to playing as a wing back if we are to persist with playing 3 centre backs. You can't fault Lichaj's attitude he gives 100% but he simply is not good enough.

Massive transfer window coming up. I hope Lerner backs his manager as we desperately need 2 or 3 players who can make an instant impact.

my like quota is all used up but this is definitely one for the like envelope

It's not so much Lambert got it wrong, more we don't have the quality or depth of squad. For all the headlines about the youngest PL team, itvshowed today and we missed old heads. Certainly could have done with Vlaar at the helm, and also the midfield looks very thin - Bannan has a long way to go before he wins me over, but again we missed a steady central midfielder (Petrov).

For me, we need a left back, a DM and a creative midfielder in Jan, but also we need to hang onto Bent until the summer. I can't see Randy spending another £20m, and that's what it needs.

Struggling Chelsea who scored 6 in their last champs league game and 5 in midweek.

It hypercritical for you to say we are making excuses for ourselves yet you downplay Chelsea as a struggling side in recent times to make the result look worse ( not that thats really possible but kudos for trying )

Everyone has accepted that though. Nobody has said we weren't outclassed or that we weren't shit

Posters are trying to excuse it though fatique, bad officialdom, or indeed that Chelsea hit a purple patch.

It wasn't any of those. Just simply world class players against a team of mainly average ability who were found out and that includes the manager.

Great post.Totally agree about Herd only so far enthusiasm will get you in this league from the first minute yesterday he was all over the place positionally and never recovered also as a midfielder by trade his passing is very hit and miss.Against Stoke where effort is needed we did well but against the guile of the likes of Mata and Hazzard we were found seriously wanting.Will Chelsea beat another team 8-0 this season maybe not but they will stuff a few teams.I think yesterday you also saw that Bannan and Westwood are tidy passers of the ball but physically they are slight and were dominated by Luiz ,though hardly suprising whilst somewhat dodgy as a defender at times the guy is a world class and cost Chelsea £30mil IRC.TBH I am suprised KEA didn't come on and just to put some tackles in to disrupt Chelsea a little.

With regards Norwich they have built on what Lambert left their by introducing experainced players like Bassong and Garrido hopefully this is something Lambert himself will take on board because enthusiam of youth and Talent will only get you so far we need some experainced players unfortuantly for Lambert the players he was left with who are experianced Nzog / Bent / Dunne / Ireland have not performed this season or last really.

Struggling Chelsea who scored 6 in their last champs league game and 5 in midweek.

It hypercritical for you to say we are making excuses for ourselves yet you downplay Chelsea as a struggling side in recent times to make the result look worse ( not that thats really possible but kudos for trying )

You've answered your own question there.

Chelsea's form prior to that was poor and they did lose before the game yesterday even though it wasn't in the Premiership.