Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Well he's got the defence sorted by the looks of things - the midfield is getting there - it's just the attacking side of things to work on now. Having Benteke is a big step in the right direction but we need a bit of class to support him.

LB has been our weakest position this season IMHO.

I still think it is the midfield that is causing us problems. Westwood is the only midfield player of top half quality.

We actually have the firepower up front in Bent and Benteke, we need a new midfield to get the best of both of them and the goals will come. An attacking mid and a wide player in January would be very welcome.

Agree with this. We aren't going to sign a whole new squad in January, but the right two players will make a huge difference.

The current argument in this thread seems completely insane.

"Give the manager time because some great managers needed time"

"No, some managers have been given time in the past and not succeeded".

So what we're saying is, given time, Lambert may or may not be successful.

Good job guys.

No, thats not what we are saying.

If he is on the right lines, time is essential to him.

If he ain't get rid, whats being said is if he ain't on the right lines time won't cure it.

Still a big supporter of what Lambert is trying to do.

Despite the 0-0 scoreline against Stoke we kept a clean sheet, bossed possession and limited them to 0 shots on goal. All this with a young side against a physically intimidating opponent in good recent form.

A couple of signings in Jan to fix holes (AM and LB, imo) and our good performances will start being good wins.

The problem isn't Bannan or Ireland playing with Westwood, it's the players in side positions (Gabby and Holman), Gabby is not even nearly enough creative to play that part and Holman is still getting used to the premier league and I dont think that's his best position. We (like many other PL clubs) would need the creative touch to play alongside of the central midfield (Ireland - Bannan - Westwood trio) and I don't think there are english players who can provide that so Lambert will probably look that from abroad.

Agreed, it's hardly surprising since we're playing 1 young lad up front, supported by another 'striker' who's scored about 2 goals in a YEAR, yet have a 20m proven goalscorer earning about 80k a week sitting on his backside bored out of his mind. And then we keep hearing Bent doesn't fit in the system or style of play that the manager wants.

Well here's a MORNING NEWSFLASH

That system / style has us dangerously close to the trapdoor and clearly ISN'T WORKING!

You either keep banging your stubborn head trying to somehow force it to work, or you adapt to what you have at your disposal and think of a new formation to get the best from it

It could be worse of course, but only very marginally and by about 3 points

Timothy Abrahams has just tweeted that if you take all the teams from the prem, bundasliga, ligue 1, serie a and la liga only 4 teams out of all them have scored less goals than us.

That's very worrying.

Well it is worrying but at the same time that stat is being a bit sensationalist.

We are the lowest scorers in the league. I presume that would make us comparable with the lowest scorers in the other leagues as well yet we are still above a number of them. Adding more leagues into the equation doesn't really tell you anything but makes things sound more dramatic.

Absolutely, it has been a big ask for Bennett and Stevens, I thought Stevens might cope a little better but thank god for Lichaj.

Probably not the time to buy another one though, a better left winger would reduce the attacking pressure on the younger full backs, plus there is a case that right sided Premier League attackers are better than the left sided ones.

No, thats not what we are saying.

If he is on the right lines, time is essential to him.

If he ain't get rid, whats being said is if he ain't on the right lines time won't cure it.

Sooooo

So what we're saying is, given time, Lambert may or may not be successful...

...depending on if he's on the right lines?

I'd agree, I think.

But you can't argue with, what is it?, 4 clean sheets in our last 6 games? Regardless of the opposition.

Ok we're not scoring enough to make it a huge improvement, but I think it's fairly clear that the defence has been taken up a notch

Agreed, it's hardly surprising since we're playing 1 young lad up front, supported by another 'striker' who's scored about 2 goals in a YEAR, yet have a 20m proven goalscorer earning about 80k a week sitting on his backside bored out of his mind. And then we keep hearing Bent doesn't fit in the system or style of play that the manager wants.

Well here's a MORNING NEWSFLASH

That system / style has us dangerously close to the trapdoor and clearly ISN'T WORKING!

You either keep banging your stubborn head trying to somehow force it to work, or you adapt to what you have at your disposal and think of a new formation to get the best from it

It could be worse of course, but only very marginally and by about 3 points

Great point except we'd get relegated if Bent started every week

Great point except we'd get relegated if Bent started every week

Yeah, his goals would weigh us down like a ton of bricks

but I think it's fairly clear that the defence has been taken up a notch

without captain Vlaar you mean, Randy will no doubt look to flog him in January then

Yeah, his goals would weigh us down like a ton of bricks

I agree, we would be exchanging a handful of goals for the ability to retain possession for any meaningful period. In the long run I believe that playing Bent would, net, cost us goals

Thankfully PL agrees and we will sell him in the window

without captain Vlaar you mean, Randy will no doubt look to flog him in January then

He played in two of the four clean sheets, so not sure what point you're trying to make.

We have more than one Centre Back?

I agree, we would be exchanging a handful of goals for the ability to retain possession for any meaningful period. In the long run I believe that playing Bent would, net, cost us goals

Thankfully PL agrees and we will sell him in the window

I'm chuffed you agree with a manger that's got us in a worse situation than his predecessor, and made us about as toothless as Les Dawson. He certainly looks like he knows what he's doing

But i'm sure we'll stay up without scoring ...