Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Parker would be brilliant. An "at last" moment for me, we should have signed him 5 years ago. I know, age, injuries etc. but we should be allowed one or two relative "gambles" should we not?

Anyway, still firmly behind the manager here. In case that wasn't obvious....

nah parker no, we should have got him instead of sidwell but not now.

he could have been having a look at liverpool rather than scouting anyone. otherwise who was he looking at? spurs have some good young talent but they aren't going to be letting them go and they'd all want big wages. same with liverpool's youngsters. i just can't see him looking for a short term old head, even though it wouldn't be too bad to get a couple imo as much as i love the academy graduates and young players we have it might make the transition a bit smoother and give the younger players someone to learn from...

My take on the whole youngster thing is a little different to most people's....

I personally think the lot of them should get on with keeping us up and we should stop playing the whole young squad card.

I think they are doing great, but really, most of them arnt even that 'young'... Look at Raheem Sterling at Liverpool...he's 17 for crying out loud. He looks like he has been playing for ages, he's just getting on with it. So should our guys....

Having one 17 year old in the first team is a lot different than having a first XI and squad that's relatively young.

Regardless, I don't hear any of our players bemoaning the fact that they are young and using it as an excuse so I don't see what the problem is.

A couple of the players have said it in interviews etc... Lambert says it all the time! I just think 'so what'... That fact is they are pro footballers and will earn more in a year than i probably would in my life time.

My main point though is that we don't need to add in these experienced players that will cost loads so the younger players (that are in the starting XI) can learn... They are 22/23, they should be good to go and learning by doing not by watching someone else in their position.

Well impressed with PL and i have to say what a difference from last season. I think in time PL will make villa into a better team then martin o neil had IMO. Really bright future for the villa now.

And what's your thoughts on the age of the group at the moment? Do you think Lambert should continue with his philosophy of buying young players or should we now add older, more 'experienced' players to the line up and try to find a balance from that?

I have to say, I'm with you, Tayls. I think this group learning together is a good thing, and will hopefully stand them in better stead for the future. We should be looking to get better players, not more experienced.

I also agree wholeheartedly with this, I think this group have enough to stay up, and I didn't expect any more this season. We can have good young players picking up valuable experience, or some experienced player (even if they're good) coming for their last payday. Becoming our next, Beye/Warnock/Hutton etc...

We have been adding experience for the past god knows how many years, and ultimately we have been left disappointed. The players you have mentioned Jon_c are exactly the sort of people I do not want to pay money to see.

I'm nervous as hell about every game this season, and I am not 100% certain we will stay up, (I think the QPR game will tell us a lot), but, knowing we are playing with this team and with a philosophy of buying younger hungry players who are collectively earning less than one of our so called big names makes me proud.

Some valid points Tayls and I agree with you for once.

Why the hell in the last few weeks have we had this 'has been' dream team formed by some posters opinions of all these over rated high earning older generation of high wage players that should be signed by Villa?

Lescott, Parker, Adam, Berbatov, Dempsey, Downing, Barton, Hargreaves to name a few - all are over the age of 27 all are on 70k+ plus. We have just recovered from this period of disaster that caused alot of crap that has taken nearly 3 years to clear up!

I do not believe any of these type of players are now on the list of building materials needed of what this club is trying to build.

Gone are the days of signing 'proven premiership experience on high wages who are half the time out injured or not performing' on 60k+ a week wages. They simple do not offer us anything for the long term anymore and it is just a short term fix to cure what would be an on going headache.

The average age of our starting XI being 23 and soon to be on average 30k a week wages to then compare that to the average age and wages of all these who have left the club and will be leaving the club between June 2012 tll June 2013 definately gives an indication of whats going on here.

Why pay the above high prices on short term headaches when you can buy better quality for half the money that on average work twice as hard!