Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I definitely think Herd should play CM, he showed a lot of metal at centre half in the last game, he'll give us that much needed fight in the centre of the park. Bent and Benteke is worth giving a go, they looked good against Swansea but poor away to the Saints, but you know, time to roll the dice.

Gabby is effectively another winger. He doesn't score so for me Bent and Benteke must start from now on. Have Benteke playing behind Bent to hold the ball up and allow for 3 attacking midfielders to support whilst a DM protects the back 4. If we had Ireland, Holman and CNZ supporting Benteke on Saturday with Bent as a poacher we would have had a much better chance of winning than we did having Delph and KEA sat in our own half whilst our strikers played 30 yards from goal with no support.

I rate Gabby - thats the frustrating thing. He does some good things but its to few and far between. We see in glimpses hes capable of being a really good player but for me he just doesnt give enough. For too long the fans have been delusional to this so called love he has for the club. I dont see it. I never have when I think about it. I think the lads taking the utter piss tbh and has been since for 2 years now. Its undoubted that players like Holman & Weimann will run through brick walls for the team. I can put up with relegation a lot easier with players who try and arent quite good enough than players like Bent, gabby, nzog and ireland who are clearly good enough yet dont give there all - and thankfully we have a manager in Lambert who seems to be looking for the same traits. That said, he sticks with Gabby so must see something I dont, because bar the goal he was completely annonymous imo

Although I disagree, completely take on board your point. Just out of interest, what is it you wanted Gabby to do more of against Norwich? is it work-rate or technical ability (or both) your not a fan of?

Gabby is effectively another winger. He doesn't score so for me Bent and Benteke must start from now on. Have Benteke playing behind Bent to hold the ball up and allow for 3 attacking midfielders to support whilst a DM protects the back 4. If we had Ireland, Holman and CNZ supporting Benteke on Saturday with Bent as a poacher we would have had a much better chance of winning than we did having Delph and KEA sat in our own half whilst our strikers played 30 yards from goal with no support.

Gabby is a waste of space. Hasn't produced anything worthwhile for a few seasons. Time to move him on.

Although I disagree, completely take on board your point. Just out of interest, what is it you wanted Gabby to do more of against Norwich? is it work-rate or technical ability (or both) your not a fan of?

Difficult against Norwich as we were really poor as a team. Plus he got hauled off after 52 minutes. However, hes our longest serving player and one who should really be taking responsibility, a bit like Benteke did. Just seems to be coasting. Either that or hes another example of how good O'Neil is at making awful players good. Yet the Man City game suggests otherwise. Just about time he stepped up if you ask me.

I seem to recall that many on here were saying that the reason Gabby is not scoring is because he is played out of position....never bought that one at all.

Gabby's problem is one that has faced many of our players over the years....Inconsistency.

Gabby will give you one in 7/8 games.... when he is on he is really on, but most times he is ineffective.

albeit,I thought we looked worse when he went off on Saturday and he does trouble the oppostion.... but he simply does not score enough no matter what position he plays.He just doesn't do what a strker should do...score.

Ps tragedy is he isn't one of our worst players.... but as one of the best, is why we are where we are.

I must admit, I am in the camp that says Lambert must be given time.

However, as the results faulter and the performances wane, you get the kind of response (from the new manager that you are convinced, needs time) that hit the pit of your stomach.

The birmingham mail, states Lambert is adamant his Villa Team will not be relegated this season saying " They won't go down, they will be fine"....asked why he has such faith in his players he added " I just always do"

Hardly churchillesque or a rallying call from William Wallace.....I would have been interested to hear an educated response for his unnerving faith, perhaps a rendition from the Bobby Robsons annals of how to analyse a football team.

I am sticking with him, but I am watching his reactions with Interest.....for sure, It ain't going to come good on its own.

I must admit, I am in the camp that says Lambert must be given time.

However, as the results faulter and the performances wane, you get the kind of response (from the new manager that you are convinced, needs time) that hit the pit of your stomach.

The birmingham mail, states Lambert is adamant his Villa Team will not be relegated this season saying " They won't go down, they will be fine"....asked why he has such faith in his players he added " I just always do"

Hardly churchillesque or a rallying call from William Wallace.....I would have been interested to hear an educated response for his unnerving faith, perhaps a rendition from the Bobby Robsons annals of how to analyse a football team.

I am sticking with him, but I am watching his reactions with Interest.....for sure, It ain't going to come good on its own.

His 50 - 50 comment regarding the game worries me. Would much prefer him to come out and say it wasnt good enough. Theres a case that he may have been protecting the players, but it looked like he believed it himself. We were without dount outplayed by Norwich from start to finish.

The team should be this every game.....

.......................Guzan.......................

Lowton.......Vlaar......Clark........Bennett

........................Delph......................

............El Ahmadi....Ireland............

Holman..........Benteke.........Agbonlahor

Although Gabby hasn't been doing enough to be able to start, we have no one else!

His 50 - 50 comment regarding the game worries me. Would much prefer him to come out and say it wasnt good enough. Theres a case that he may have been protecting the players, but it looked like he believed it himself. We were without dount outplayed by Norwich from start to finish.

You see I don't buy that at all. Had Bennett not been sent off I honestly believe we could've won that game and maybe even scored more. It wasn't a great perofrmance but we were nowhere near as bad as some are making out pre-sending off.
  • Like 1

I am all for a Manager protecting his players, no question, but at times like this, supporters do need a bit of an inklin that the manager knows what he is doing.

A manager has a golden opportunity to spell out how he has seen the game and may be give supporters the confidence he is in some sort of control.

I used to listen to Bobby Robson do it, after a defeat and he used to give you the impression he knew exactly what went on and what went wrong and you kinda got the feeling it would be addressed next game.

Despite defeats....The manager must give the impression he knows what he is doing or he is dead.....glib, nebulous remarks are unhelpful and disrespectful to discerning fans.

I definitely think Herd should play CM, he showed a lot of metal at centre half in the last game, he'll give us that much needed fight in the centre of the park. Bent and Benteke is worth giving a go, they looked good against Swansea but poor away to the Saints, but you know, time to roll the dice.

Herd would def offer fight but also yet more backwards and sideways passes, we have Delph and El Ahmadi for that, Lambert like McCleish doesn't seem to realise that attack is the best form of defence.

Hopefully Lambert will have seen something in Herdy (I think he did because he said in the post match interview that when "chrissy herdy came on he were fantastic") and he will now give him a chance in the midfield. Herd played well for us in CM last season i thought.

Expectations on Lambert are high from everyone and we have also given him the benefit of the doubt with his signings and so on. Pretty much everyone accepts a poor start in exchange for the bigger picture which is the future. However, and I say this both as a fan of him and a cynic, if this continues he will lose the crowd and media pundits in a very short time. Bad spells do not go on forever, and I expect us to bounce back after the difficult one we are entering now, but if we continue this at this rate he will be fired before the season is over. The start hasn't been bad, Wigan and Southampton could do the same and say "ok, we're only Wigan and Southampton", but in no way are we as bad as 1 win in 9 games. We have Darren Bent, Gabby Agbonlahor, Ron Vlaar, Charles N'Zogbia, Ciaran Clark, Stephen Ireland, Fabian Delph, Marc Albrighton etc - a few players who would walk into most teams in the bottom 10. Combined after 9 games we look very, very weak and opposition team must love to play against us. Lambert chose to supply our team with inexperienced Youth from League 1 and the Championship, it was his call and his alone to stand trial for if it fails. I would love it if he brings it soon, but right about now all we are relying on is blind faith in players that have thus far failed miserably.

Although Gabby hasn't been doing enough to be able to start, we have no one else!

If you are sure that you want Delph in the starting XI we could play with this formation, without Gabby:

............El Ahmadi....Holman............

......................Ireland

............Benteke.........Bent (Weimann)

Any team with Delph in it is already on a loser,put herd in instead.