Paul Lambert

Pilchard

If we were 19th i'd understand. But we're 11th FFS.

I think its fantastic that we are 11th but that's masking a million and one problems for me. We are dire to watch and based on performances being honest I would have to say we should be way lower. Beyond our first 11 our squad is crap overall.

Oh by the way I say that as someone who likes Lambert and doesn't want to see him sacked.

I fully agree that the standard of football is pretty dire to watch. It has been for 3 or 4 years now. 

It's a tough situation though, you may disagree with me on this Mark, but  I genuinely do not believe we have the players who are capable of playing an "attractive" brand of football. I think Lambert could spend all the time in the world on the training field trying to get them to play that way, and we'd go into most games having a lot of possession but doing nothing with it and probably lose. Eventually, we may start turning that possession into something, but that wont happen over night. So what do you do as Lambert? Do you go through the pain of trying to play nice football whilst getting beat in the hope that you'll get better at it? Or do you try and play a way that will get results albeit not very entertaining? In that sense I think Lambert is just trying to get the points on board. Which is understandable. It may be that if we get a mid-table finish then Randy will release funds to buy the players who will improve our style of football? Who knows. But  I'd rather play the way we are and be 11th than play the way we were under Houllier and have yet another relegation battle. 

You would rather finish 11th than 9th?

How weird is that!

Eh? Obviously talking about the standard of football, not league position. 

Right because we are playing some sublime stuff at the moment aren't we!

Sacking Lambert now would be completely moronic. 

Those who say he should be sacked but offer no alternative choice of manager because "it's not their job" should stop calling for him to be sacked as that's not your job either.

this, this, a million times this.

You can't say 'get rid' then completely avoid the question of who'd you get to replace him. It's pretty funny though :D

Why, is there some unwritten rule that only you and a select few know about that says fans can't be disgruntled with their manager and call for him to be sacked unless they have a replacement waiting in the wings?

No, but the fact that it's so hard to think of a manager who would be happy to come in, work under the same financial restrictions as Lambert whilst improving the style of football and results surely shows how stupid the idea of sacking him now is? Surely?  

It's easy to say sack him, but what then? Do you really trust the board to find someone who will do all of the above? 

Give it a few more weeks and we will be closer to 19th than 11th.

Why not just hope that doesn't happen then?

Our next 4 games are:

Stoke (Away)

Palace (Home)

Swansea (Home)

Sunderland (Away)

That will take us up to January 1st, you are telling me you think we'll be closer to 19th after those games? Is that what you truly believe?

If so and indeed that does happen, then by all means people can moan and say we're rubbish and Lambert is rubbish etc.

What you're saying is you think Lambert should be sacked, on the basis being not that we are currently 11th, but because you think in the near future we will be towards the relegation zone. To me that doesn't make any sense.

Lets wait until January 1st and see where we are.

• Like 4

I think its fantastic that we are 11th but that's masking a million and one problems for me. We are dire to watch and based on performances being honest I would have to say we should be way lower. Beyond our first 11 our squad is crap overall.

Oh by the way I say that as someone who likes Lambert and doesn't want to see him sacked.

I fully agree that the standard of football is pretty dire to watch. It has been for 3 or 4 years now. 

It's a tough situation though, you may disagree with me on this Mark, but  I genuinely do not believe we have the players who are capable of playing an "attractive" brand of football. I think Lambert could spend all the time in the world on the training field trying to get them to play that way, and we'd go into most games having a lot of possession but doing nothing with it and probably lose. Eventually, we may start turning that possession into something, but that wont happen over night. So what do you do as Lambert? Do you go through the pain of trying to play nice football whilst getting beat in the hope that you'll get better at it? Or do you try and play a way that will get results albeit not very entertaining? In that sense I think Lambert is just trying to get the points on board. Which is understandable. It may be that if we get a mid-table finish then Randy will release funds to buy the players who will improve our style of football? Who knows. But  I'd rather play the way we are and be 11th than play the way we were under Houllier and have yet another relegation battle. 

How weird is that!

Sorry, I misread your previous comment. Are you comparing Lambert to Houllier? Houllier spent 25m (ish) in one window. Had players like Young and Downing playing. And we were still threatened with relegation til the last 3 or 4 games. I don't know what your point is? 

How weird is that!

What?

Some people talk about progress and use the position as a barometer of that and others berate them because the standard of football isn't great and it's a false position. Now suddenly position matters again?

I don't even know what to think anymore. Supporting Villa is like being in constant limbo. I just want investment and all this to be over. Unless and until there is a huge investment in playing staff it's going to be like this EVERY year

And people thought once Doug sold up we would be in the land of milk and honey. Hasn't quite worked out like that......

Sacking Lambert now would be completely moronic. 

Those who say he should be sacked but offer no alternative choice of manager because "it's not their job" should stop calling for him to be sacked as that's not your job either.

this, this, a million times this.

You can't say 'get rid' then completely avoid the question of who'd you get to replace him. It's pretty funny though :D

Why, is there some unwritten rule that only you and a select few know about that says fans can't be disgruntled with their manager and call for him to be sacked unless they have a replacement waiting in the wings?

No, but the fact that it's so hard to think of a manager who would be happy to come in, work under the same financial restrictions as Lambert whilst improving the style of football and results surely shows how stupid the idea of sacking him now is? Surely?  

It's easy to say sack him, but what then? Do you really trust the board to find someone who will do all of the above? 

Give it a few more weeks and we will be closer to 19th than 11th.

Why not just hope that doesn't happen then?

Our next 4 games are:

Stoke (Away)

Palace (Home)

Swansea (Home)

Sunderland (Away)

That will take us up to January 1st, you are telling me you think we'll be closer to 19th after those games? Is that what you truly believe?

If so and indeed that does happen, then by all means people can moan and say we're rubbish and Lambert is rubbish etc.

What you're saying is you think Lambert should be sacked, on the basis being not that we are currently 11th, but because you think in the near future we will be towards the relegation zone. To me that doesn't make any sense.

Lets wait until January 1st and see where we are.

Based on the poor way we play and the fact that our home form is shocking then I believe that those four games you have mentioned probably won't yield many points but I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that we shoot up the league beating everyone in our path.

• Like 1

How weird is that!

Sorry, I misread your previous comment. Are you comparing Lambert to Houllier? Houllier spent 25m (ish) in one window. Had players like Young and Downing playing. And we were still threatened with relegation til the last 3 or 4 games. I don't know what your point is? 

I am not comparing Lambert to Houllier. I think you were the one doing that with your comment about rather being 11th than being threatened with relegation under Houllier. I just merely pointed out that we actually finished 9th under Houllier and that we are hardly playing well at the moment. That is my point if you need me to have one.

Thats more like it! Not even being patronising, all we can do is hope our position sticks/improves. 

If we can get at least 7 points from those games we'll have 26 points which should hopefully put us in a position to keep well clear of the relegation zone. 

Our home form needs to improve, we need to score more goals and we need to get some sort of creative spark that will let us break teams down. I don't think all of these problems can be solved instantly though, certainly not with the budget Lambert will probably get in January. 

My personal opinion is that we just need to keep progressing, last season was another relegation scrap, this season we haven't been mixed amongst those teams and as long as we keep it that way I'll obviously take that as progression. We've progressed so far, we just have to keep it up, whether it is through grinding results out or not, playing like Barcelona is the least of my worries as long as we're placing ourself away from the battle at the bottom.

Am I happy that my hope is that we simply stay away from the relegation candidates? No, of course not, in fact it upsets me that we've become this sort of team but I know it can't be fixed quickly and I'd rather we try to fix things properly in a sustainable manner. Right now I believe Lambert is the correct manager to do just that.

Edited by samjp26

I don't even know what to think anymore. Supporting Villa is like being in constant limbo. I just want investment and all this to be over. Unless and until there is a huge investment in playing staff it's going to be like this EVERY year

I have to disagree with u. It wont be like this every year as we will eventually get relegated. If we continue to buy players at 1-1.5 million thats what will happen. If u could buy players at that price and be.a premiership team the league 1 teams would be all be in on the prem action.

I just hope Lambert wasnt given the option of allot more money to spend but decided to go down this arrogant route.

I think we are all so jaded after years of uncertainty and bad managerial moves terrible board decisions, awful transfers.

The MON years had plenty of problems and were responsible for what followed, but we had hope, we had fast paced attacking players, we had Young, Carew, Milner, Petrov, Downing all playing some amazing football. We had hope, we got to finals and semi-finals and Europe.

Now we have........ young hungry inexperienced players, many of whom have learnt a great deal from having their arses handed to them and nearly getting us relegated but also become real solid Premiership players in Lambert's tenure, but many who are very average in a squad with no depth whatsover. Tactically when things just don't go right - with poor form and injuries you just feel Lambert struggles to adjust the team and tactics.

How long did it take him to drop Weimann this season?

He only dropped Benteke once and it made no difference

He dropped Lowton for way too long and put out teams with no width whatsoever and hours and hours of hoof ball.

There are lots of positives i am missing, but i just see a bunch of players who most of the time don't seem to know what they are doing or who they should pass to, there are no leaders on the pitch, no voices, just a group of headless chickens who work hard and never give in.

With the team we have, games will never be won with quality, more with graft and determination. Unfortunately for some reason, Lambert cannot get the team to even play this way anymore.

We beat Southampton the other week with graft and determination, in fact until Fulham and Manure we were unbeaten in five games. 

How weird is that!

I am not comparing Lambert to Houllier. I think you were the one doing that with your comment about rather being 11th than being threatened with relegation under Houllier. I just merely pointed out that we actually finished 9th under Houllier and that we are hardly playing well at the moment. That is my point if you need me to have one.

Right okay. We aren't playing well, but we're also 11th so. My point is, Houllier tried to change the style of football, and for most of the season we were close to the relegation zone. Lambert is just playing a shit brand of football to get points on the board. Would you rather be involved in a relegation battle playing nice football or finish mid-table playing dull football? 

After 3 years of worrying about relegation I'll take a dull mid-table finish. The trade off from trying to change the style of football is that it takes quite a while for it to become effective. 

Edited by PieFacE

Delph has one premier league goal and one premier league assist,i give credit to Lambert for that.

Because goals and assists are the be all and end all for midfielders right? Laughable post as Delph has clearly been our best player this year,

With the team we have, games will never be won with quality, more with graft and determination. Unfortunately for some reason, Lambert cannot get the team to even play this way anymore.

We beat Southampton the other week with graft and determination, in fact until Fulham and Manure we were unbeaten in five games.

So why don't we play like this every week. So we blame Money or Lambert???

How weird is that!

Right okay. We aren't playing well, but we're also 11th so. My point is, Houllier tried to change the style of football, and for most of the season we were close to the relegation zone. Lambert is just playing a shit brand of football to get points on the board. Would you rather be involved in a relegation battle playing nice football or finish mid-table playing dull football? 

After 3 years of worrying about relegation I'll take a dull mid-table finish. The trade off from trying to change the style of football is that it takes quite a while for it to become effective. 

I agree with some of your post but I have difficulty seeing how Lambert's dull and inpenetrative style of football will see us in anything other than another relegation scrap.

I am worried that if he was to be sacked, what happens then? Like honestly, its a big thing considering the project we have going on. I would bet Lerner is not interested unless relegation looks like a big possibility. And who would actually come in and do it? Would he have more money? Would Lambert have gotten more money since he has balanced the books quite a bit? Probably not but I actually think we could easily go down if the wrong person stepped in. And that HAS happened. 

• Like 2