Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Any 5 back formation is primarily not to lose surely? Every game teams have chances thats hardly an argument against negative play and i dont see the point in raising the man city game as evidence, that was a freak result albeit a brilliant result. If we played them another 5 times with that formation we'd probably lose them all.

Its not just the formation anyway, this season in general we've been playing some rubbish stuff.

Even if we didn't win, you don't score 3 goals if your intention is simply to not lose. Not only did we win, we limited Man City to a couple of scruffy set piece goals, so I'd say the 3-5-2 worked brilliantly then. And while West Ham didn't have any recognized strikers, they flooded plenty of bodies into the box and launched something like 40+ crosses into our box, which our 3 CB's dealt with comfortably. I'd hate to imagine if it were only 2 CBs and Lowton constantly out of position, one or more of those crosses may have been lethal.

I think when people say hate in a sentence about football or something similar its usually not meant in a genuine hatred kind of way its just more like a saying, unless that sentence includes joey barton or anything connect to the blue half then its probably genuine. ;)

It's a strange one for sure... It's like when you hear a teenage girl call One Direction 'sick.' What she actually means is that she is getting a little bit excited, when old twunts like me (old at 38 :-/) believes that she means One Direction are either poorly or a bunch a bastards with one thing on their mind.

Edited by Raver50032

Any 5 back formation is primarily not to lose surely? Every game teams have chances thats hardly an argument against negative play and i dont see the point in raising the man city game as evidence, that was a freak result albeit a brilliant result. If we played them another 5 times with that formation we'd probably lose them all.

Its not just the formation anyway, this season in general we've been playing some rubbish stuff.

Totally don't agree about playing 3 CBs as being negative, depends how the other 7 outfield players are used. It ca be a really attacking formation based on possession football. Serie A probably has the most teams playing it and certainly Mazzari and Conte were early exponents of it's rebirth over here. Don't think Mazzari's Napoli or Conte's Juve from last year could sensibly be called negative in any way.

Agree with the last sentence though, at West Ham we were poor as a team from back to front, first touches, simple passes, movement. I think that's more a mental thing to be honest, bad day at the office, they'll get better with 4 or 3 at the back.

Even if we didn't win, you don't score 3 goals if your intention is simply to not lose. Not only did we win, we limited Man City to a couple of scruffy set piece goals, so I'd say the 3-5-2 worked brilliantly then. And while West Ham didn't have any recognized strikers, they flooded plenty of bodies into the box and launched something like 40+ crosses into our box, which our 3 CB's dealt with comfortably. I'd hate to imagine if it were only 2 CBs and Lowton constantly out of position, one or more of those crosses may have been lethal.

You will see this happen against the top sides.  They will still be forced to go for it and our counter attacking tatic will stil work against them.  When we play the teams like ourselves they will sit back as well and we will see alot more 0-0 IMO.  The counter attack system wont work against these teams as they have caught on to it and this is why im slightly worried for our next 10 games.

He's made mistakes but I can think of a lot worse owners than Randy.

I'd love to see this long list of premiership owners that are clearly worse than Lerner.

Too many to list. That's not to say there aren't a lot of better owners as well though.

You can't honestly believe he's one of the worst Premier League owners?

I'd love to see this long list of premiership owners that are clearly worse than Lerner.

Too many to list. That's not to say there aren't a lot of better owners as well though.

article-2041923-0DF3343900000578-931_468

When you have really bad owners, you end up not being in the Premier League.

Turning into the new Alex McLeish I fear  :(

Not really .. Atleast until now .. 

We actually attacked Everton where I thought we won't do that !

I think we were forced to play this way .. 

Against Hull , We were all over them but without ending product .. They just sat back and tried to stop us .. And we hadn't Benteke for that game (I don't agree with Lambert in not playing Tonev or Helenius as I think they're more creative than what we had on the pitch) ..

Spurs , Well they're one of the worst sides we play with .. But we weren't bad tbh honest considering their last visits ..

Everton .. We attacked , didn't score .. They attacked and didn't score .. Then we were surprisingly holding the ball without effect until they score and our confidence are bombed ! (It's Lambert mistake not to put Sylla instead of Westwood or atleast put KEA .. But it wasn't anything as Mcleash .. Actually Luna was forced out too) ..

West Ham .. We didn't have Delph or Gabby .. And we didn't have a proper LB , Even Bennett would have worked but the two of them weren't there ..

Considering we don't have a strong midfield .. Our best one isn't in the pitch .. No proper LB .. Lowton isn't that good defensively .. West Ham have a strong midfielders .. I agree with Lambert in going to the game for a draw this way ..

When I saw the no Delph or Gabby .. I feared the worst ! Especially without a proper LB !

BTW where is Gardner now ? Could be a solution for now ?!

So list some then.

I do believe it, we're having the worst period I've ever experienced as a fan. You don't think that makes him bad?

• Like 1

article-2041923-0DF3343900000578-931_468

When you have really bad owners, you end up not being in the Premier League.

I think the last two years we've stayed up inspite of Lerner not because of him.

He hired Mcleish and then didn't back lambert last January. We were fortunate we had enough to stay up, it's not like Lerner did anything to ensure we'd survive the last 2 seasons.

Do people not remember Doug being even more terrible? At least Randy put money in. We were almost getting relegated back then too. 

So O'Leary finished well one season, with Randy we had three sixth placed finishes all entirely subsidised by his own pocket. 

Do people not remember Doug being even more terrible? At least Randy put money in. We were almost getting relegated back then too. 

So O'Leary finished well one season, with Randy we had three sixth placed finishes all entirely subsidised by his own pocket.

I remember us having bad seasons under Ellis, but what I also remember is that Ellis would always get his wallet out the following season and put it right. Lerner does nothing of the sort, and we're now into our 4th consecutive season of struggle.

That never happened under Ellis.

Lerner out!

I remember us having bad seasons under Ellis, but what I also remember is that Ellis would always get his wallet out the following season and put it right. Lerner does nothing of the sort, and we're now into our 4th consecutive season of struggle.

Lerner out!

Utter rubbish - he never spent enough or spent what we needed to do. Whilst things have been bad the past few seasons, what Randy has put into the club simply dwarfs what Ellis put in.

We're far from struggling. We look on course for a comfortable, if boring midtable finish.

Depends on where you think Aston Villa should be. For me the team we have now is simply unacceptable and to lose so many home games is beneath a club as big as ours. The fact that so many of our fans accept this is a damning inditement of the state of our club right now.

Thank-you very much Mr. Lerner. Now sell up and get out.

Lerner out!

Utter rubbish - he never spent enough or spent what we needed to do. Whilst things have been bad the past few seasons, what Randy has put into the club simply dwarfs what Ellis put in.

He's put a relative pittance in over the last few years - hence the diabolical squad we have now.

Depends on where you think Aston Villa should be.

Season 2 of a project that is attempting to remove short-termist shite from the football club? I'll take midtable thanks.
  • Like 4

We're far from struggling. We look on course for a comfortable, if boring midtable finish.

Depends on where you think Aston Villa should be. For me the team we have now is simply unacceptable and to lose so many home games is beneath a club as big as ours. The fact that so many of our fans accept this is a damning inditement of the state of our club right now.

Lerner out!

He's put a relative pittance in over the last few years - hence the diabolical squad we have now.

So you wanted him to keep spending so we ended up like leeds or portsmouth??? some fans just can't see what happened and what needed to be done.

We are on track.

Depends on where you think Aston Villa should be.

Season 2 of a project that is attempting to remove short-termist shite from the football club? I'll take midtable thanks.

So what happens if we're in another relegation battle next season?

Lerner out!

So you wanted him to keep spending so we ended up like leeds or portsmouth??? some fans just can't see what happened and what needed to be done.

We are on track.

On track to what, mediocrity?