Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Please can someone tell me why PL peeresses to play the way corners the way he does, why can't he just let whoever swing them in using the opposite foot e.g. Bacuna on the left side and someone left-footed on the right, the 'Bannan style' floaty balls into the box are sending me **** mental :angry:  

Edited by Avflife

I'm still wondering why, when it was clear Kozak was being dominated in the air, did we keep hitting high balls to him?

I think we'll see more and more games like that when teams ask us to break them down. Hopefully with Benteke back soon we'll be better at answering that question.

I'm still wondering why, when it was clear Kozak was being dominated in the air, did we keep hitting high balls to him?

I think we'll see more and more games like that when teams ask us to break them down. Hopefully with Benteke back soon we'll be better at answering that question.

We provided enough against Hull to put them to the sword. The game plan was solid, the forward line didn't get the memo.

Another clean sheet. 

• Like 1

Bit concerned with the season stats in the paper yesterday. Apparently we have the lowest average possession in the league at 39.9%, and we have also hit the highest % of long balls at 15.7%.

However, given who we have played I think/hope that these numbers should improve as we move through the season.

We still need a creative, attacking midfielder in January though.

We provided enough against Hull to put them to the sword. The game plan was solid, the forward line didn't get the memo.

Another clean sheet.

Yep totally agree. Bad day at the office for the forwards, if they were on their game we would have comfortably beaten them. Kept a clean sheet and got a point.

Has to do something when we play the lesser teams and they restrict the space to restrict counters.. it just isn't working.

I do hope in Jan there is money for a "10" or atleast a loan deal for a creative player.

Anyway solid point but it doesn't the full story.

Does he, does he really ?

We have no away games until November, so we can look at pretty much a years worth of away results going back to last October.

Played 18, Won 7,Drawn 6, and Lost 5 - the 5 we lost were to last seasons Top 4, Man U, Chelsea - twice , Man City, and Arsenal.

27 Points. Our goal difference against all but the Top 4 .....+8.

Why would you think 'it just isn't working' against the 'lesser' teams ?

A very good set of stats if you ask me and with better home results easily Top 10.

Can I ask why you have done away games? The previous poster said when teams restrict the space, which happens more when we are at home.

As I understood it the Poster was talking about the game 'solid point but doesn't tell the full story'......I assume the lesseer team in this case was Hull, and he suggested PL needed something different.  I was just pointing out that we don't need something different in such games.

Everyone on the planet knows we need to do better - against all types of side - at home.  Personally I dont think it is anything to do with a mythical 'number 10/playmaker'.. again every set of fans in the world thinks their team needs a good one of these, but good ones are very very rare - thats why Man U were trying to break the bank for Fabregas (who is nowhere near the player he was).  Yes we are better counter attacking but so what.

I think it is to do with the overall malaise at the Club that PL is doing so much to turn around.  A malaise that is felt much more clearly when we are at home.  It crept in in the latter part of MON's reign and seeped into everything.  Thats why on the playing side he knew they pretty much all had to go.  But he can't do the same with everything, and there is so clearly an undercurrent of fear of failure all around VP, in the fans, and the players.  When we concede - often even before we do - fans are very quick to voice their unhappinesss, the place can be like a morgue.  As a fan who likes to stay 100% full of vocal support I find it is often  impossible even to get a song going.

I think particularly in the case of a young side this stops players doing what they otherwise do naturally.  Granted, what ours do naturally is not what Barcelona do naturally but it is better than what they often show.  That is why, in my view, some of our better performances have come in the bigger pressure games - as long as we start ok - the crowd is more forgiving, more ready to jump on opposition or ref, far more vocal if anything goes well.

Very similar to what happens to England at Wembley.  Steve Gerrard can pass a football.  But at Wembley he often plays like me.

At this high level in sport it is nearly all in the mind.  Once we get any sort of run going at VP it will change.

My hope is for some luck against Everton - because we will need it as clearly we do struggle more at home and they are a very settled experienced hitherto unbeaten side - and if we get a result against them, as we did against Man City, that will dispell quite a bit of the malaise and it can start to get more 'normal' at home.  The fans have a bigger role to play than any new player in a new position in my view.

• Like 4

As a general critique of the tactics, I still remember the Swansea game last season, Benteke's first game when he came off the bench.

We passed the ball out from the back and played through midfield, dominated possession and beat a good side.

Playing on the floor, with the 2 wide forwards pulling the defence apart and creating space for an attacking midfielder to exploit, it worked brilliantly.

Now it seems to be hoofing it up to Benteke / Kozak and hoping that they are able to control or flick on the ball on every tenth attempt.

I'd rather see patient, expansive passing play from the whole team than waiting to get a good touch or header and then get a quick shot away.

• Like 2

Bit concerned with the season stats in the paper yesterday. Apparently we have the lowest average possession in the league at 39.9%, and we have also hit the highest % of long balls at 15.7%.

However, given who we have played I think/hope that these numbers should improve as we move through the season.

These two stats go hand in hand.

6 pts off top. We can close that gap.

Still tight isn't it? - CL places are close but so is the relegation zone.

Truth is our season has been mixed, and for me on the whole under par and disappointing. Despite our mixed form and indifferent displays, reassuring we are where we are! We can't get any worse, our luck has to change, and surely when CB returns and everyone barring Delph and Guzan starts playing like they can, we must improve?

Now time for PL to prove his worth and earn his money.

All a bit irrelevant at the moment. Possession doesn't win you football matches, ask man city.

6 pts off top. We can close that gap.

Still tight isn't it? - CL places are close but so is the relegation zone.

Truth is our season has been mixed, and for me on the whole under par and disappointing. Despite our mixed form and indifferent displays, reassuring we are where we are! We can't get any worse, our luck has to change, and surely when CB returns and everyone barring Delph and Guzan starts playing like they can, we must improve?

Now time for PL to prove his worth and earn his money.

Agreed. For me I think we have had some good results off some crappy performances off a brutal starting fixture and injury list.

Last season we were pretty much punished for every bad performance, so far we have been more fortunate.

My hope is we will soon start clicking again like the end of last season and keep in touch with the top of the table.

I still have no idea why we didnt buy a playmaker type in the summer, but as has been noted, they are an expensive breed.

• Like 1

We do seem to be becoming a long ball team, and becoming more so with every game.

And it will be the same when Benteke returns.

Cannot remember the stats, but the ball retention from long balls to strikers, for all clubs, not just ours, is quite low.

The game on Saturday, I may be wrong, looked the worst so far for long balls from our keeper.

All a bit irrelevant at the moment. Possession doesn't win you football matches, ask man city.

There is more to winning football matches than just possession, but it is still a major component in the development of a football team...all the great teams have it...the teams that don't are usually listed as limited and predictable.

Man City are not dropping points because of possession , it's other criteria.

We do seem to be becoming a long ball team, and becoming more so with every game.

And it will be the same when Benteke returns.

Cannot remember the stats, but the ball retention from long balls to strikers, for all clubs, not just ours, is quite low.

The game on Saturday, I may be wrong, looked the worst so far for long balls from our keeper.

I think our intentions are good and we did show a decent display of passing football in the cup game against Rotherham.

The problem as I see it is our quality on the ball. It's a different level of opponent in the league.

I think while we are doing reasonably ok with results perhaps one or two exceptions our quality of play is a bit average and as our desire to get results exceeds our desire play well, we are sleep walking in to a more direct style of football.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Yup. Bit worrying. Although those two bits of pure class, one from Bacuna and one from Delph on saturday were pretty sexy (Bacuna with a lovely move right down the line and Delph beating what three men around him to get the pass away?). I hope we see those lovely moments become the norm over time.

Yup. Bit worrying. Although those two bits of pure class, one from Bacuna and one from Delph on saturday were pretty sexy (Bacuna with a lovely move right down the line and Delph beating what three men around him to get the pass away?). I hope we see those lovely moments become the norm over time.

I didn't! See the game as it was deemed as one to miss by all and sundry.

But strangely enough those 2 Delph and Bacuna I am less concerned with their ball skills....they seem more comfortable on the ball than most in our team.

I didn't! See the game as it was deemed as one to miss by all and sundry.

But strangely enough those 2 Delph and Bacuna I am less concerned with their ball skills....they seem more comfortable on the ball than most in our team.

Yeah they were nice. Worth tracking down if you get a chance! They are on the AVTV highlights as well.

Strange game, I think we came across as rushed in many ways, we didnt realise just how much time Hull were willing to give us.