Paul Lambert

Pilchard

What are peoples thoughts on Lambert's attire

Not bothered with what he wears on the sideline tbh. Other people's discussions about it do amuse me though :D

I aim to please

I'm surprised nobody else has spotted Kilroy in the bottom right of the picture he looks terrified of Lambert

kilroy.jpg

Edited by AshVilla

which goal was offside?

Ivanovic's

I didnt notice that. I thought it was on. I didnt think it was a freekick though.

To me it looked like he was off the entire play. Stood offside and never came back on before the free kick was taken. Could be wrong though.

Sent him some photos on Monday that we took with him and some of my clients at the end of season awards dinner. I wanted them signed so I could get them framed with the shirts the squad signed on the night for them. Received them back today signed and personalised 3 days when we had a game at Chelsea what a gent

Just read this quote from Lambert : Lambert believes the top clubs are given favourable treatment, a trend he noticed while playing for Celtic. ‘We got decisions because you have a massive crowd behind you; it’s human nature,’ he said

100% agree with this which I why i think its so important Villa Park is packed to the rafters again and as loud as possible. 

The lead in to this article on the main page went something like "The same traits that embody Jose Mourinho are seen in Villa's Paul Lambert"

Needless to say, as a guy who basically started watching Villa last fall because I was such a fan of Lambert's philosophy and managerial style, I had high hopes for the article, and it didn't disappoint. Well done Iain Macintosh, even acknowledging the fans steadfast support. 

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/bootroom/id/413?cc=5901

soc_g_lambert_kh_576.jpg

Scott Heavey/Getty ImagesAt first glance Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert and Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho may seem quite different, but in fact, they possess many of the same managerial characteristics.

Paul Lambert stared daggers at his notepad-wielding inquisitor. Denied at least a point at Stamford Bridge, furious at the referee's perceived failings, now he was being patronised. 

Jose Mourinho had told reporters ten minutes earlier that Lambert's constant complaining reminded him of a younger version of himself. "He will change with time and experience," shrugged Mourinho, "... he is a young manager." 

Lambert sat motionless as the quotes were recounted to him. For a moment, flames seemed to rage behind his eyes, but then he laughed it off and took it as a compliment. As well he should. 

- Delaney: Tight win reveals glaring front man need 
- Match report: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa 

There are certainly similarities between the two managers, but they are by no means limited to touchline tantrums. Both these men rose to the top the hard way. 

Mourinho, with no pedigree as a player, earned his reputation as a translator, a coach and an assistant manager. He recovered from the disappointment of an early dismissal in his first solo role at Benfica, won his spurs with Leiria and then rocketed through the stratosphere with Porto. 

Lambert, a Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund, had the pedigree but failed in his first posting at Scottish Premier League side Livingston and had to repair his reputation first at Wycombe, then Colchester and then Norwich. 

Both men are pragmatists and have built their success on meticulous preparation, working tirelessly to seek any advantage, no matter how slight. Neither man is afraid to invoke the dark arts, with Mourinho happy to allow time-wasting and gamesmanship and Lambert content to sanction roughhouse spoiling tactics when the need requires. Arsenal's fans will testify to that. 

But the attribute that most closely links the two is bravery. Mourinho's willingness to back himself and stick two fingers up at the world is well known, but not enough has been made of the courage that Lambert has shown at Villa Park. 

When the Scotsman arrived at the club, the Villans were in turmoil. The wage bill was out of control, two seasons had been wasted under the stewardship of first Gerard Houllier and then Alex McLeish. The fans were beginning to vote with their feet. Lambert's mission had an extremely low probability of success. He had to quickly improve the team while drastically cutting the budget. Little wonder that many Norwich fans were baffled when he chose to leave the stability of Carrow Road. 

Out went a stream of high earners, including Emile Heskey, Carlos Cuellar and James Collins. In came a selection box of low-profile Europeans, like Christian Benteke and Ron Vlaar, and lower-league chancers like Matthew Lowton and Ashley Westwood. Predictably, results fell off a cliff. 

Aston Villa won only once in their first nine games and plunged down the table. After a shock 3-1 win at Anfield in December lifted them to 14th and hinted at a recovery, the wheels really came off and Villa nosedived. In consecutive league games they were beaten 0-8 by Chelsea, 0-4 by Tottenham and 0-3 by Wigan. They crashed out of the League Cup to Bradford and then the FA Cup to Millwall. 

But throughout this grisly period, Lambert continued to defend both his players and his grand strategy. The supporters stood behind him all the way. At every level, the club was united in their belief that the excesses of the Martin O'Neill era and the mistakes that followed had to be paid for, that austerity was the only way back. And then Lambert led them into the light. 

When Aston Villa came to the Emirates Stadium on Feb. 23, it was clear that something had changed. They were beaten, as you might expect, but not by much. All around the pitch, the players were transformed. The youngsters were blooded; the others had changed their attitude. Lambert had ridden out the storm. They won five of their final ten games and finished five points clear of the drop zone. 

There will be no relegation battle this season. Even against an attack as star-studded as Chelsea's, even after shipping a morale-crushing early goal, Lambert's men obdurately held their shape. Gabriel Agbonlahor, once a flaky poacher, a sort of poor man's Theo Walcott, has become a 21st-century inside-left, breaking with phenomenal pace, but always remembering his defensive responsibilities. Fabian Delph, an apparently stalled talent, has grown into a skilful, intelligent and courageous central midfielder. Westwood, plucked from Crewe for £2m, will be linked with an England call-up if he continues to influence the central areas with such maturity. Heaven knows Roy Hodgson is short on defensive midfielders. And then, at the top of the pitch, there is Benteke, settled and happy again after withdrawing a transfer request. 

Lambert is, to put it diplomatically, a demonstrative presence on the touchline. In the moments that followed Wednesday's late penalty appeal, he was so animated that there was a risk his head would fall off. But emotive displays are not all he shares with Mourinho. Like the Chelsea boss, he's a manager of exceptional ability. Villa may yet prove to be the surprise package of the season.

• Like 1

Roughhouse spoiling tactics? Can nobody fathom that we beat Arsenal fair and square?

Didn't you know? The top 4 teams don't get outplayed and they don't deploy roughhouse tactics. Only everybody else does.

Just ask Ivanovic.

• Like 4

All this "long ball up to Benteke" is absolute bollocks of the highest order.  In the last few minutes against Arsenal, it would have been tempting to keep lumping the ball up to Benteke for him to hold it in the corner flag, but we kept playing, and there was some great play out from the back involving Clark and Westwood for example.

• Like 1