Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Top manager. Best we have had in over 30 years

Bloody hell, what are you basing that on, one result?!  Better than Graham Taylor, Ron Atkinson or Brian Little?  Absolutely nowhere near (yet).  Those are managers who played entertaining football, and were challenging for the title and/or winning trophies.  He might well end up being a great manager, but he isn't yet, and enjoyable as yesterday was, it was one game.

Finally someone else with a bit of perspective.

Funniest thing I've heard all day. Admittedly it's been a bit of a quiet day.

Bloody hell, what are you basing that on, one result?!  Better than Graham Taylor, Ron Atkinson or Brian Little?  Absolutely nowhere near (yet).  Those are managers who played entertaining football, and were challenging for the title and/or winning trophies.  He might well end up being a great manager, but he isn't yet, and enjoyable as yesterday was, it was one game.

Yet you seemingly can't see that last season was a transitional season where Lambert had to build things up from scratch almost?

Yet you seemingly can't see that last season was a transitional season where Lambert had to build things up from scratch almost?

I don't think there's much point debating with him. He's got perspective don't you know. 

Edited by praisedmambo

I think there's a good chance not only that we have another Saunders on our hands, but that he might stick around longer than many people expect.

He seems to have the nous to build a successful, winning team. If he can do that with us, the sky (Sky?) is the limit. He might not want to leave if he is able to get to the stage where he's building a legacy. Where's the glory in being one in a line of successful managers of, say, Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd, when he can actually do something GREAT, and be our equivalent of Shankly or SAF, both of whom turned their clubs from "big" to "giant".

Norwich fans probably thought the same.

Maybe, but the difference is that we are not much, if at all, smaller than Liverpool were pre-Shankly and we are more successful than Man Utd were pre-SAF. Aston Villa, along with clubs like Everton, Tottingeham, Newcastle and even Sunderland are big enough to move to the top level if managed properly brilliantly.

Problem for me - even if he is that good - he will need more backing from lerner to take us much us above. halfway. No matter how good he is - I grave doubts that Lerner would back Lambert with funds to turn us into a great club. Best we can hope for is an Everton style team

Yes, last season was a transitional season.  It was still 85% awful to watch though, but we got through it, and that's good.  IF Lambert can build on that, and start to trouble the top half of the table based on a young, vibrant, inexpensively assembled team then he'll deserve to be mentioned alongside our other great managers.  It's extremely premature at the moment though. 

• Like 3

Firstly he needs to produce a solid defensive unit to complement the pretty great attacking line up he has assembled. If Lambo can manage that, we will have a special team on our hands, and he might deserve to get mentioned with the great AV managers.

• Like 1

The likes of Atkinson, Taylor and Little all had a great defence, but still played exciting, attacking football.  Little took an average central midfielder from Palace, and turned him into an England international central defender.  It's our formation or style that means we'll always concede lots of goals, it's more the fact that our central defenders just aren't very good.

I want to have his boring, undecipherable Scottish babies.

Love it!

I did think him boring and undecipherable at first, he is from Glasgow, now I think I understand him, his philosophy and his so dry it's Saharan wit. As a personality I find him engaging and engrossing and his underlying positivity does rub off on you in the end.

That can ONLY be a good thing for the dressing room. He comes across every bit the man manager MON was, except he also manages his squad a whole lot better (and the football is far more entertaining). Our scouting network is also clearly second to few.

He's never going to win any personality awards, you have to spend a lot of time with him to "get it". I'm glad we have the pleasure.

I want to have his boring, undecipherable Scottish babies.

Love it!

I did think him boring and undecipherable at first, he is from Glasgow, now I think I understand him, his philosophy and his so dry it's Saharan wit. As a personality I find him engaging and engrossing and his underlying positivity does rub off on you in the end.

That can ONLY be a good thing for the dressing room. He comes across every bit the man manager MON was, except he also manages his squad a whole lot better (and the football is far more entertaining). Our scouting network is also clearly second to few.

He's never going to win any personality awards, you have to spend a lot of time with him to "get it". I'm glad we have the pleasure.

He was the exact opposite of miserable and boring at the fan forum. Just extremely dry as you said.

He even said he puts on a miserable persona for the media :D

Id say 99% called for his head after 3-0 Wigan and then Bradford a few weeks later. But fair player to the owner for sticking with him.

Things are finally starting to look up. Bring on Chelsea.

I'm in the 1% then, and proud! (but I stuck with Houllier and even McLeish until the very end :lol:)

lol ..

Same here .. ^^

Imitation is the highest form of flattery so i'm more than a little disappointed with your response. Must do better praisedmambo.

What a surprise. You're disappointed. 

and its no surprise to me that you're wrong again.

I don't think there's much point debating with him. He's got perspective don't you know. 

Thank you.

What was with the whistle and flute yesterday? I thought he was a tracksuit man.

Someone on another forum had a rather interesting post on manager image.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82210528

That is funny. I like.

Lol. The only thing I can add is that John Gregory was tracksuit in 1st half of Villa career, when we were tearing up the league and his was being touted as a future england manager. As soon as he went sophiscated with suit, waistcoat and coat, we went backwards. Were the 2 linked? Who knows.

Curious to the comments about hopefully keeping him for 3 or 4 years.

Not to say surprise firings can't happen, but the only legit step up from us who may have an opening soon is Arsenal, and I highly doubt they'd go with Lambert, although Lambert is very Arsene like in his transfer policy.

If we keep progressing at a good, natural level, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be here for the next decade.

Curious to the comments about hopefully keeping him for 3 or 4 years.

Not to say surprise firings can't happen, but the only legit step up from us who may have an opening soon is Arsenal, and I highly doubt they'd go with Lambert, although Lambert is very Arsene like in his transfer policy.

If we keep progressing at a good, natural level, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be here for the next decade.

Agree. Why would you bother building a young squad if you didn't want to stick around and see it at its best?

Last season? you mean the season where he took a club that was so lost up the wrong road of paying out millions to players who did not perform at all on the pitch that it was doomed to go down.

For a team doomed to go down not many people on here were worried about a relegation battle last summer.

Last season? you mean the season where he took a club that was so lost up the wrong road of paying out millions to players who did not perform at all on the pitch that it was doomed to go down.

For a team doomed to go down not many people on here were worried about a relegation battle last summer.

Yep, wasn't there even outright criticism when a relegation thread was started?