• N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Bent (for Agbonlahor 57)
    • Burke (for Bent 85)

Why did Given play last night by the way? It was pretty much a full strength squad (injuries considered) except Guzan. I'm not saying that Brad could definitely have done better with any of the goals, I just don't rate Given at all anymore and think that sometimes he can't be arsed to even try.

I've not been to that many away games in my time, maybe 15-20, but that was the most hostile and quiet I've seen our travelling fans. A fair few people around me were giving the players shit from the first minute. A fight between our own fans broke out a few feet away from me. Songs didn't really get going either, we were louder when we were outside the ground (queuing to get in for 20 minutes, missing the first 10 minutes of the match).

Not having a pop at anyone by the way, just an observation.

I'm just disgusted. I wasted half a day's precious holiday from work , plus ticket and petrol , getting home at nearly 1.00 a.m. for that! We should all be refunded our costs - out of the players' own pockets. For me, every one of them was absolutely useless - except Andi Weimann who at least put the ball in the net. Can't see us turning it round at home. Oh well, at least I won't need to fork out more money that I can't afford only to be embarrasssed again at Wembley. Sick of being a laughing stock in the national media. Second leg also live on Sky

• Like 1

Can't be arsed to moan, it was shit last night, very shit, but I'll be there for the home leg and hopefully we pick it up and sort the mess out that has been created. Hope a lot of you will be there to support our club (key word club, and not the current batch of players) as well.

I've not been to that many away games in my time, maybe 15-20, but that was the most hostile and quiet I've seen our travelling fans. A fair few people around me were giving the players shit from the first minute. A fight between our own fans broke out a few feet away from me. Songs didn't really get going either, we were louder when we were outside the ground (queuing to get in for 20 minutes, missing the first 10 minutes of the match).

Not having a pop at anyone by the way, just an observation.

That's interesting. Came across totally different on the skygo feed I was watching. In fact, I'd been impressed with how vocal and supportive the travelling fans had been. Guess I'll have to withdraw those comments then.

The thing that bothers me is even if we do pull ourselves out this mess, thrash them at our place and get a place at Wembley, we still lost at to a League 2 side with a full strength squad. Convincingly beaten and outplayed all over the park as well.

But for what it's worth I think we will get through and it will be another great semi-final at Villa Park

That's interesting. Came across totally different on the skygo feed I was watching. In fact, I'd been impressed with how vocal and supportive the travelling fans had been. Guess I'll have to withdraw those comments then.

I've heard a few people say that actually. Maybe I should withdraw mine.

It was so bad that hardly anyone has even mentioned Bent's miss, which is possibly the worst miss I have EVER seen. Then he went off after out of embarrassment. Not what you want from your £20m player who should be trying to prove a point.

But one chance aside, the downfall of this game (and the season in general) is the lack of a midfield. We started out as a 4-2-4 which basically equates to 4-0-4. You're never going to pass the ball out of your half like that, and we didn't.

This is the reason for our lack of goals and has contributed to our terrible defending. However the goals yesterday were purely down to terrible defending alone. The first was very unlucky that it fell to the striker but he still should have been played offside. 2nd goal was just woeful. Third goal - how is Benteke getting beat by anyone in the air I don't know.

After a night of little sleep following that, and pot of coffee later, and a bit of perspective......

We were shit. No-one really played to an acceptable standard, but.......

We should have scored plenty, but the finishing was poor. Benteke was the main culprit, but Bent's miss was the worst of the lot - and we now know that his ego/shame button is in his knee, and that suddenly hurt when he realised what he did. Sometimes you have days when this happens, and you just have to move on.

I don't balme the managers for this, and I am sure that the players don't do it on purpose!

They scored from a deflection (which happens) at a time when we were on top, and it knocked us off course. They then scored from a defensive mistake, at a time when we were on top. They finally scored from an unstoppable header (albeit from poor marking) when we looked likely to equalise. They also hit the bar from a well worked move.

It wasn't a fluke on their part, but generaly things went their way. On another night, we could have won 5-0.

The thing that worries me the most is the midfield, it has no attacking flair and no defensive stability. This has been true for weeks, and badly needs sorting out. Directionless and clueless. However, as shit as they were, Bannan created (I think) 4 clear opportunites, and Delph at least one. In the second leg, we should be able to turn this around against BCAFC.

The thing that worries second is the balls of the team. When they scored, the attitude should have been "**** it, lets destroy them". Instead it seemed to be "****, we going to get destroyed again". This is a much deeper problem for me, and shouldbne the main focus for the club.

Went to the game last night... Well where do i start tactics, bennet, clark, delph, bannan, division 4 team, lambert, lerner...

You know what!.. I think the randy lerner effect is rubbing off on me and i really cant be arsed to comment anymore!.

Saying that, im hopefull we can win the second leg, but i really dont wanna see these amateur-rookies be lambs to the slaughter at wembley!.

Edited by sutherland

The atmosphere from our fans was electric last night and I'd love to know the above posters other Villa away games he's been to which have been better? Radio Five live even commented last night about how it was one of the best cup atmosphere's they had ever been present at, so I'm shocked to hear a Villa fan stood in the same stand as me say we were quiet?

As for any fans calling for refunds again blah blah blah, give your heads a wobble! Last night was disgraceful, I am fuming about it, but no-one forced you to go. Any football fan stupid enough to ask for a refund just because the result didn't go their way should probably go back to watching football on television. Last time I looked, it didn't say in the small print on the back of my ticket that payment was on the proviso of a positive result and a measure of effort from the players? Some people need to get real. There's enough things to moan about with this current team already, without people making silly comments like that after every woeful result/performance.

• Like 1

Villa and Loyal - I presume your statement about silly comments about refunds is directed at me? I have never commented like that berfore and of course I don't expect a refund. It was a kneejerk reaction borne of a feeling that the players couldn't care less. I know you blokes think nothing of being short with and arguing with each other but us women take it to heart! I don't thnk I need to "give my head a wobble" it was a genuine emotion. I've been to every away game except two so I've seen plenty of inept performances this season (including Chelsea) but I'm just getting fed up of us becoming a laughing stock. Now I shall just slink off and cry that you think I'm stupid ! :blush:

Edited by Hev

Was furious last night, but after calming down a bit I can see that it's still only half-time in the tie and we're not out of it yet. If we can put 4 past Norwich and City, we can put a couple at least past Bradford. I hope so anyway!

The issue is we have to keep a clean sheet and score at least 3 to get to the final, I mean talk about making it a tough job.

I'd say I'm surprised at most of the comments but it seems to be the norm with Villa fans nowadays - 'we're just OK or average' when we win to 'we're the worst team in the league/laughing stock' etc when we lose. We seriously need a brighter outlook on the game.

I said to a mate 'the second leg will only be interesting if we lose by one or two' and it looks like that's what we're going to get. Should be a damn interesting/entertaining game and I reckon we will go through.

Watched all of the game on SKY yesterday, yes we conceded some dreadful goals from set pieces, and Benteke and Bennett should learn the 101's of man-marking, but it was by far all doom and gloom. We could and should have easily scored more, our play was generally better (if not cutting edge) and N'Zogbia seems to be coming good. We weren't helped by the poor pitch, the Bradford players/fans massively stoked up for the game and the game being generally wide open and end to end.

Going back to Villa park, I'm sure it will be a whole different game, the Bradford team will be pretty nervous, and a goal in the first half should send us on our way to a decent but not spectacular win. It's not like we haven't come back from worse, against far better teams, I was at the Bolton game a few years ago when we lost 5-2 in the first leg and almost came back to go through, Bradford should be a walk in the park compared to that.

Still not convinced on Lambert as a manager, a few teams have shown us what we're missing this season in terms of at least a pacy winger, solid central midfielder and probably a good left back (although Stevens has been decent every time i've seen him) with those we should be staying up, just.

Except we did not. We dominated large parts of the game until they scored a goal via a very lucky deflection. We dominated large parts of the second half until they scored from a poorly defended set piece (against the run of play). They caught us out on the counter after we had scored. Better finishing last night and the game would have been long over.

Hmmm - i think if we get beaten 3-1 by a league 2 side it counts as a 'panning'.

I wouldnt say we domintaed large parts of the game either. We had some reasonable spells of posession, but certainly no more than would be expected against a league 2 side.

I dont think their first goal was a lucky defelction either - their striker stayed alert to an opportunity in the box and he finished it well.

And whilst im moaning CNZ really annoys me - he is like a peacock - all show and no end product, he takes on 3/4 players and then shoots high, wide and handsome!

No Hev, my comment wasn't directed at you, hence why I didn't name anyone in particular. Loads of fans have said similar over the past few weeks, particularly after the Chelsea game, and like I say, there is no logic in the comment whatsoever.

I understand, and share, this almost unbearable time to be a Villa fan. Just when you think things can't get any worse, they do, and usually in front of the watching nation. But no fan of any football club should ever be calling for people to get refunds over a single performance - the ticket was bought free and willingly and if you feel that cheated don't go again. Although I wouldn't suggest acting upon that, as we need as many fans as possible at this moment in time.

On another note, I'm extremely interested to know what tactics Bradford will employ at Villa Park. Do they park the bus knowing we need goals and also struggle to break teams down? Or do they play as open as in the first leg knowing we can't defend for toffee? It's certainly a nice dilemma for the Bradford manager to have, that's for sure. Not sure which one I would prefer.

Â