• N'Zogbia
    • Delph
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Bent (for Agbonlahor 57)
    • Burke (for Bent 85)

It's hard to sort of find answers as to why defending at our level could be so bad. Was it Bennett that reacted slowly to the ball on the second goal? Whoever it was, it can't be allowed, it has to stop.

Bennett needs to be loaned out or something; Bannan and Delph just doesn't work, for a simple reason they are horrific, my soul just dies when I see the heart of the team controlled by them two. It was just so sloppy, so meh and ultimately humiliating. Our fantastic away support didn't deserve this.

Lambert really needs to realise that he will absolutely destroy the few good young players we have unless we bring in some experienced, mentally tougher pros. He needs to do it now. I'm deeply concerned that he doesn't actually see this, whereas everyone else can.

THAT'S why we beat Tranmere and won the Cup

...and Manyoo.

I think we could still squeeze through. The problem is I envisage Torres, Ba, Mata, Hazard and others running at our defence across the wide expanses of Wembley and think nah, this team isn't ready for that. If Swansea should somehow beat Chelsea over two legs I'll be pissed off if we're not in the final.

I genuinely think we are going down now. Pretty certain of it. The kids just are not good enough. Simple as that. Lambert has got it all wrong and might have **** out premier league position because of his philosophy. They just cannot compete all together at this level. Shambles. Lowest i've felt in 20 years of following this club.

Pitifully few players who played tonight actually deserve to play in the Premiership.

Clark, Bennett, Delph, Bannan simply are not good enough and never will be at this level. I've supported Clark and Bannan for a while but this is the last straw. Joe Bennett was absolutely appalling. Not one redeeming moment in 90 minutes. I'm seething with his performance.

Lowton, Baker, Weimann and Benteke may have a future. But none are going to be unbelievable.

We need a massive January to stay up. Paul and Randy have to realise this,

• Like 1

They are not kids!!!

Individually maybe not, but collectively they certainly are. Look at the average age compared to other teams...

There certainly is a link in our performance this season with a reliance on young, inexperienced players who quite simply individually and collectively are not good enough.

If I'd have responded to this thread directly after the final whistle, it would have just been a string of expletives.

However, I'm still massively pissed off with that performance. We did dominate the game, but our defence is a shambles. Baker had his moments but at other times was poor (Bradford's second goal in particular) and I'm not convinced at all by Ciaran Clark. I never really have been, although I admit that earlier this season I conceded that he was on his way to proving me wrong. I'm convinced now that he'll never make a top-10 standard centre-back. Both of our central defenders are making things far too easy for opposition strikers. We really need someone in midfield who can cover them, and Baker wasn't helped by having to repeatedly cover Bennett, but despite this they still aren't good enough. They'd get away with it more if the full-backs were better though, as they could concentrate on their own area of the park for the majority of the game.

Bennett's performance was absolutely woeful. I've defended our young players, and as I said in the match thread, he still has time to improve and does look like he has some natural ability on the ball. That said, he has a million miles to go in terms of his defensive play, and I'm not sure he'll ever get the time to make that up.

Bannan's performance, particularly after the first half, was getting hugely mixed reviews from the folk on here. He did provide some key balls, which you could argue highlights that he merits a place in the team, but I'm thinking more and more that he'll never become the player that we want him to be. He's always seemed like he could blossom into a very good player, but I don't think he's going to make it. Maybe he could prove me wrong with better players around him, but right now we need more in the middle of the park.

This brings me on to Delph, who has energy and I think could have started a few attacking moves today and created space well at times, but then seemed to make wrong decisions on too may occasions. He also puts himself about, but his defensive play is generally poor. Another who I'm afraid will never quite reach his potential.

We are crying out for an imposing player in the middle of the park. Hard to find, but vital for our future.

We are also in dire need of leadership. There have been calls for experience, but I think that leadership is the key quality, which is more likely to come in the shape of experienced players. Without Vlaar and Petrov, we have no leaders out there at all. I'm still a fan of Lambert, but he certainly has his faults and I think he could have possibly done more himself to encourage the lads from the sidelines (or at least one of the coaches). I do recognise that's an easy piece of criticism to make, though.

We should win at Villa Park. However, I don't expect us to keep a clean sheet, and this will make qualification an unbelievably difficult task.

Genuinely fearful of posting this as I may get hunted down as i share my name with a player who has played one of the worst performances ive ever watched.

Still hopeful of getting through my one worry is that to get back from this we need a motivational manager. If you saw Lamberts press conference it was far from motivational. Wouldve preferred him to come out and admit how crap we were and that he will get the team going for the next leg but no. One of the worst interviews ive seen.

UTV

Given: 5. Nothing wrong, and nothing great either

Lowton: 6. I like him a lot and watched him closely. He did nothing wrong apart from two poor crosses.

Clark: 4. I don't know who was more at fault, him or Baker, but we should be able to defend corners

Baker: 4. See Clark.

Bennett: 2. He is utterly utterly rubbish. No. Worse than rubbish at LB. When League 2 players waltz past you you know you need to find a new job or at the very least a new position.

Bannan: 6. I'm not his greatest fan, and he's not good enough, but he played okay apart from some rubbish dead ball deliveries.

Delph: 4. He probably made one or two decent passes, but I didn't see any..

Gabby: 6. Did fairly well I thought, although he was my choice to go off for Bent.

N'Zogbia: 5. Great runs, appalling end product, brilliant at giving away free kicks when we're attacking.

Weimann: 6. Wasted out wide.

Benteke: 5. Wasted chances, but good in the air although not his best day. I think he's better with the ball to his feet. On his good days anyway.

Yeah, Lambert has to go. How dare he play Bannan and Delph in midfield? Iniesta and Zidane were the obvious choices.

• Like 3

It's hard to sort of find answers as to why defending at our level could be so bad. Was it Bennett that reacted slowly to the ball on the second goal? Whoever it was, it can't be allowed, it has to stop.

It was baker who jogged out after the ball and the Bradford player ran past him to get their first. Unbelievably casual.

Based on tonight's game, easy to see us scoring at least a couple at villa park. Also easy to see them scoring as well. Will make for a cracking tie, that's for sure. Unwanted distraction though as we have a bigger problem.

How we could do with Stan in the centre of the park.

Individually maybe not, but collectively they certainly are. Look at the average age compared to other teams...

There certainly is a link in our performance this season with a reliance on young, inexperienced players who quite simply individually and collectively are not good enough.

Yes but its the 'not good enough' element, not the fact they are young (which they aren't most are 22, 23), Clark, Bannan, woon't be good enough when they are 25, 26 - The talent isn't there.

No complaints. Beaten by a better side, with better players.

Given 4 - reactions have gone.

Clark 4 - needs help

Baker 3 - gave his goal a game away again. Not good enough and never will be

Bennett 0 - isn't a footballer.

Lowton 6 - our best player

Bannan 3 - not a central midfielder

Delph 3 - not good enough

Weiman 5 - good goal but quiet

Benteskey 4 - the question marks remain

Gabby 2 - non existent

They tried - they just aren't good enough

Delph and Bannan were really piss poor. Reason we lost today. Zero protection of the defence. Couldnt keep possession.

Clark and Bennett are nightmares in defence. We need two CM's and a new CB and left back.

Good luck Paul. I have no faith in you signing players. Even Benteke has been poor since Liverpool.

What's the deal if we sign a player from Europe before the next leg? Can they play?

I'd like to know this too.

Shocking performance. We're depserate for a ball winning midfielder. **** it i'd take Reo Coker back in this squad. **** awful.

Based on tonight's game, easy to see us scoring at least a couple at villa park. Also easy to see them scoring as well. Will make for a cracking tie, that's for sure. Unwanted distraction though as we have a bigger problem.

How we could do with Stan in the centre of the park.

Yep, perhaps going out against man city would of been a blessing in disguise at that point.

Delph and Bannan were really piss poor. Reason we lost today. Zero protection of the defence. Couldnt keep possession.

Clark and Bennett are nightmares in defence. We need two CM's and a new CB and left back.

Good luck Paul. I have no faith in you signing players. Even Benteke has been poor since Liverpool.

Cheer up KSV mate. Lambert's signings have been good. With one very significant and notable exception who need not be named.

Lambert signed a very good CB and a very good midfielder, neither of whom could play today. The CB's and the midfielders are players he inherited and had no choice but to play, and apart from the LB, the four of them were the reason for us being crap today. I guess the LB got a game because he gave the mistaken impression of improving v Ipswich.

Â