Your favourite and least favourite UK politician

PauloBarnesi

Leading on from the grocers daughter; does anyone like any politician? My least favourite from personal experience were Ted Heath, Greg Hands & Anthony Wedgwood Benn. The best was Dave Nellist from meeting him; didn't agree with his policies but pleasant and intelligent and up for a discussion. Our local MP Andy Slaughter has been ok when I've needed anything....

Avoiding any obvious reference to Thatcher - who is head and shoulders above anyone else as the most loathsome politician IMO, there are a few others who I don't particularly like

John Selwyn Gummer

Colin Moynihan (apologies for spelling of both)

Norman Tebbit

George Galloway

certain other no-names at local levels

those are the ones that spring to mind

As for respect

Dennis Skinner - superb local MP

Seb Coe - I always thought he was a decent one (even though he wore a blue rosette :-) )

I liked Benn especially how like Skinner he dealt with local agenda's and issues in Chesterfield

There are none in the current political major players who are worthy of a great deal of praise. I dislike Osborne and feel that over the years will hate him even more

As I get older and maybe a little bit wiser, I think its time to remove honourable from their title. I maybe wrong but I haven't seen a decent one for a decade. I agree with Paulo on Nellist. I didn't agree with his policies but admired him much for his taking a Factory workers pay, as most of his constituents were factory workers

• Like 1

As a lifelong labour supporter, I'd have to say Balls is the most loathsome individual I've ever met. Red Ken would come pretty high up that list too. Surprisingly Gordon Brown was a really nice bloke. Genuinely interested in improving the lives of Africans on a visit to Mozam.

Into Room 101 would go The Thatch if I only get 1 choice, or add in Stormin Norman Tebbit if I get two.

At the top of my Xmas tree would be the 'Welsh Windbag', Mr Neil Kinnock, who really tuned me into politics during my formative years in the 80s. Great orator, despite the nickname, and great passion.

Shame from his (and the country's) POV that he was both Welsh and balding/Ginger. Undoubtedly cost him a few votes.

Avoiding any obvious reference to Thatcher who is clearly head and shoulders above anyone else as a politician

Jack Straw always struck me as decent and whilst he came across as a bit of a cock whilst he was an MP , I think Michael Portilo on "this week" comes across as very fair minded and knowledgable , so a slight cheat but he gets a nod from me

I always liked Tony Benn. Although I believe that was in his time after politics when he became more a commentator/speaker. He was easy to listen to and seemed to make sense to me anyway.

Avoiding any obvious references to Thatcher who should clearly have her head removed from her shoulders more than anyone else...

I'll get back to you when I can remember back when there were a few decent ones, most of whom have already been mentioned.

Strange, but I logged into this thread to post Dave Nellist as my favourite. I always hated Betty Boothroyd because she took up the Speaker's job (and therefore lost her voting rights) at a time when the Tories had a wafer thin majority...but it has to be the Grantham Gargoyle.

I despise a lot of them and like the odd few who aren't in a party or are in minor parties and have something worthwhile to say.

The **** too busy point scoring are the first to go come the revolution. Too many people aren't engaged in politics and I blame them entirely as they are just career politicians more interested in personal advancement than doing right by their constituents.

And that is excluding the bigoted muppets running this province.

I despise so many of them, particularly in the current Conservative party, but as a teacher I'll probably have to go with Michael Gove. It's ludicrous that such a clueless, out-of-touch, arrogant **** is currently ruling over the education of this country's children. He also has the most punchable face on Earth - no easy honour with the likes of Piers Morgan living and breathing.

Favourite? Erm...

Can't stand our local MP Ed Vaizey. Minister for the internet or some rubbish, I just see him as slimey but then he is a Tory. My parents went to see him once when they had a problem with HMRC continuing to pay tax credits despite them informing HMRC that they didn't need them anymore and he just wasn't interested, paid no attention and was no help what so ever.

I do like Dennis Skinner, he always cuts somebody with a good question which they can't answer and then they have to resort to petty, childish "You're a dinosaur!" remarks.

Â