Doctor Who

mikeyp102

Huge spoilers... there is a lot more to it... but I am tired...

Basically....

BOF is a timelord...

No seriously...

The Doctor receives a message which leads him to Christmas Town (which is Trenzalore), so he heads there and discovers that there are a number of enemies who want to destroy him as there is a field there where nobody can lie, they worry that the Doctor will step here and say his name which opens a time lock and unleashes the timelords, the Daleks certainly do not want this as they believe it will also release "hell on earth" - the same which destroyed them during the time war.

The episode is a game of chess, the doctor waiting and the Daleks and others waiting, time passes and the Doctor is growing older and older, getting much weaker - to the point where there is nothing left to lose... he knows he is on his last life and he knows he'll either die at the hands (so to speak) of the Daleks, or of old age so he confronts the Daleks.. but he is weak and collapses down after the biggest Matt speach yet, he is dying, this is his last life, he collapses down...

The Doctor is DEAD!

Then suddenly the crack from series 5 shows what it was all about... a glow of energy comes through... reviving and regenerating the Doctor.

(I believe a gift from the Timelords as a thank you for saving them)

He regenerates in one massive explosion of energy, killing his enemies and turning Trenzalore into the wreck we see in season 7... Clara and the Silence head off to find the Doctor's body, Clara is very sad... she finds no body, she then walks into the Tardis and standing there is...Capaldi's doctor.

The theme from this is tracing where the energy is from and getting home.

RiverSongSpoilers.jpeg

See, I've never bothered to try and follow the labyrinthine plots that started with the RTD era. River Song, all that Wolf stuff, I haven't a clue what's going on, and I don't give a toss. 

I just watch it for the general effect (just like I enjoy watching Morse, but never attempt to work out who the murderer was). 

Just show me a TARDIS and some Daleks, and I'm back in 1963. 

There are only two ways to go.

You completely immerse yourself in every nuance of back story by stop framing every episode and looking for meanings in background objects and cross referencing dialogue, or you watch it as Tardis and daleks.

From what I've seen recently, the 11 to 15 year olds are doing the forensics, the 'adults' are watching the explosions and totty and really not trying to decipher meaning from a kids programme where the writers and producers can just change the back story to suit themselves anyway.

It's Tardis and Daleks for me.

I was lucky enough to end up with tickets for the screening at the 50th Convention and the full day of build up and panels and explanations and celebs and wotnot. I'll be honest most of it washed over me. But what was obvious from the day was that Tom Baker was class apart from everyone else there. Very briefly paraphrased, Baker said that the Dr Who gig was the best thing he'd ever experienced and he'd been an arse to think he was bigger than it. That at the start he loved it so much he would pretend to go home, then bribe security men to let him back in the closed set to stand and stare and sometimes sleep there. But that he grew to think he was awesome, so he left to go on to greater things and took a long time to admit to himself he's been a tit.

11034216773_90d1e6630c_z.jpg

11034063526_4984050371_z.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the episode, but my main problem, what was the point in the Zygons?

The whole trying to invade earth story line sort of got swept under the rug I thought and seemed to not actually matter, only to unite Doctor 10 and Doctor 11. Why bring back an enemy after 30 odd years to not actually do anything with them. I know the main plot was to do with the Time War and everything but it's not as if the Doctor has never had to deal with more than one enemy before, yet alone with 3 of them (or technically 13 :P)

I just feel that much of the episode was building up to a point that wasn't as satisfying as it should of been when they could have explored a more interesting side-story line with the Zygons and actually dealt with it.

Capaldi will be different but equally fantastic. They have got the casting bang on every time in the reboots. They always seem to pick the actor they need at the time and Capaldi will be no different. 

Apparently The Sun have pretty much the full write up from the Xmas ep today. 

why would they do that?

It's a part of modern culture I really don't understand. Don't get me wrong, there are always going to be immature turds that want to spoil a secret surprise. But these days, there's a whole market out there crying out for it. Right down to the 50p TV magazines that every week tell you what will happen in next week's soaps. It's bad enough people watching Emmerdale Enders, but bloody hell, they love to know what's going to happen - and then watch it anyway!

Anyway, hopefully the story line goes something like.....

quiet Christmassy scene

happy Dr and Totty assistant

danah!!!!! baddies!!!!!

running around running around

epic monologue with not too many difficult words in it

baddies defeated by slightly implausible non-science babble

last baddy pings in one last shot that drops the doc

much much sadness and recap of his best bits

regeneration

capaldi announces baddies can **** the **** off and clearings in the woods them with a stick

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Â