Doctor Who

mikeyp102

Very good. Tom Baker was a nice touch.

But I'm still confused about where John Hurt fits into the canon. Is he the '0th' Doctor?

Would have been good if he'd regenerated into Hartnell at the end.

The 9th, they all get shifted a bit.

Wikipedia's got a nightmare on its hands, then. 

And if Hurt's the 9th, how do they explain the sequence where McGann was seen to regenerate into Ecclestone?

McGann regenerated into Hurt. That's the whole point, no?

• Like 1

But I'm still confused about where John Hurt fits into the canon. Is he the '0th' Doctor?

And if Hurt's the 9th, how do they explain the sequence where McGann was seen to regenerate into Ecclestone?

He regenerated into a young Hurt. Watch it again. :)

Wasn't a fan of that episode at all.

Seems like a huge reset button on the time war. No longer is he the last of the time lords and the destroyer of worlds, now they're just frozen and lost.

Pretty much, he started his first set of lives running away. He will start his next set going home.

OK, false memory syndrome. Could have sworn that the Ecclestone era started with a regen from McGann, but apparently not. I must have missed it in TDOTD, though - I saw Hurt going all blurry, but didn't recognise McGann in there. EDIT - correction, of course, that should have been Hurt --> Ecclestone, but still didn't see it as such. 

Edited by mjmooney

OK, false memory syndrome. Could have sworn that the Ecclestone era started with a regen from McGann, but apparently not. I must have missed it in TDOTD, though - I saw Hurt going all blurry, but didn't recognise McGann in there.

First we saw of the Doctor in the new series was him grabbing Rose's hand and saying "run".

So if Tom Baker was meant to be a future Doctor all retired as the Curator, I like to think that's where that girl Osgood got his Scarf from? 

Definitely. Should have seen it coming the way they kept drawing attention to the scarf. 

OK, false memory syndrome. Could have sworn that the Ecclestone era started with a regen from McGann, but apparently not. I must have missed it in TDOTD, though - I saw Hurt going all blurry, but didn't recognise McGann in there. EDIT - correction, of course, that should have been Hurt --> Ecclestone, but still didn't see it as such.

Mcgann -> Hurt happened in the online ep out last week

Why did they drop the whole Tower of London storyline?

Mcgann -> Hurt happened in the online ep out last week

Ah, OK. Didn't watch that. Must check it out. 

I think that that has suitably reassured me that I simply don't get Dr Who. I watched it as there was ask the hype and a bunch of people I work with are fans. I've only ever seen 1 episode before this properly but know a bit about it all.

From my perspective that was more than a little rubbish, the highlight being a phoned in John Hurt.

Seeing it from a "casual viewer" perspective, there have been much, MUCH better episodes and I can see why some people didn't get it (I was wavering myself in parts which as I've said, underwhelmed me). From a Dr Who "fan" perspective, it was a homage to the past and some of it was utterly brilliant.

I'm sure you're right. Viewed objectively, it was probably pretty pointless. For the long term fan it's a completely different experience.

As said, I'm not a fan but I do know a little about Dr. Who, so not entirely in the dark. Besides the cameos, and what seemed like a fairly half baked plotline tying into the founding mythos of the character, that felt to me the epitome of what in any other show would be considered a fairly low point of a series, a slow episode where little happened. A bit like one of the weaker monster of the week episodes in the X Files, for example. It just so happened that this one had a mythos building storyline slammed into it and some cameos, it seems.

But again, I just don't get it I guess.

Edited by Chindie

Huge spoilers... there is a lot more to it... but I am tired...

Basically....

BOF is a timelord...

No seriously...

The Doctor receives a message which leads him to Christmas Town (which is Trenzalore), so he heads there and discovers that there are a number of enemies who want to destroy him as there is a field there where nobody can lie, they worry that the Doctor will step here and say his name which opens a time lock and unleashes the timelords, the Daleks certainly do not want this as they believe it will also release "hell on earth" - the same which destroyed them during the time war.

The episode is a game of chess, the doctor waiting and the Daleks and others waiting, time passes and the Doctor is growing older and older, getting much weaker - to the point where there is nothing left to lose... he knows he is on his last life and he knows he'll either die at the hands (so to speak) of the Daleks, or of old age so he confronts the Daleks.. but he is weak and collapses down after the biggest Matt speach yet, he is dying, this is his last life, he collapses down...

The Doctor is DEAD!

Then suddenly the crack from series 5 shows what it was all about... a glow of energy comes through... reviving and regenerating the Doctor.

(I believe a gift from the Timelords as a thank you for saving them)

He regenerates in one massive explosion of energy, killing his enemies and turning Trenzalore into the wreck we see in season 7... Clara and the Silence head off to find the Doctor's body, Clara is very sad... she finds no body, she then walks into the Tardis and standing there is...Capaldi's doctor.

The theme from this is tracing where the energy is from and getting home.

Edited by dodgyknees

Wasn't a fan of that episode at all.

Seems like a huge reset button on the time war. No longer is he the last of the time lords and the destroyer of worlds, now they're just frozen and lost.

I really disliked that plot point and I'm happy it's done away.

Basically....

BOF is a timelord...

No seriously...

The Doctor receives a message which leads him to Christmas Town (which is Trenzalore), so he heads there and discovers that there are a number of enemies who want to destroy him as there is a field there where nobody can lie, they worry that the Doctor will step here and say his name which opens a time lock and unleashes the timelords, the Daleks certainly do not want this as they believe it will also release "hell on earth" - the same which destroyed them during the time war.

The episode is a game of chess, the doctor waiting and the Daleks and others waiting, time passes and the Doctor is growing older and older, getting much weaker - to the point where there is nothing left to lose... he knows he is on his last life and he knows he'll either die at the hands (so to speak) of the Daleks, or of old age so he confronts the Daleks.. but he is weak and collapses down after the biggest Matt speach yet, he is dying, this is his last life, he collapses down...

The Doctor is DEAD!

Then suddenly the crack from series 5 shows what it was all about... a glow of energy comes through... reviving and regenerating the Doctor.

He regenerates in one massive explosion of energy, killing his enemies and turning Trenzalore into the wreck we see in season 7... Clara and the Silence head off to find the Doctor's body, Clara is very sad... she finds no body, she then walks into the Tardis and standing there is...Capaldi's doctor.

legit?

Really wish I'd watched Night of the Doctor first,now.

I assumed it was just a trailer, but in fact it's essential to understand DotD - would have saved me much confusion. 

Basically....

BOF is a timelord...

No seriously...

The Doctor is DEAD!

legit?

Yup.

Just watched the episode. As I've said before I only started watching from eccelstone and don't know much of the previous story lines etc. thought this episode was nothing more than meh... It was ok, but nothing to shout about. Was actually disappointed that it didn't tie up the Clara in time stream story. Will have to rewatch series 6 or 7 as looks like the silence will be back.

See, I've never bothered to try and follow the labyrinthine plots that started with the RTD era. River Song, all that Wolf stuff, I haven't a clue what's going on, and I don't give a toss. 

I just watch it for the general effect (just like I enjoy watching Morse, but never attempt to work out who the murderer was). 

Just show me a TARDIS and some Daleks, and I'm back in 1963. 

• Like 2

Â