U.S. Politics

maqroll

16 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's one thing to post a load of old cock from RT, it's another to follow it up with some of your own.

If it's on RT it's rubbish. Right.

btw, which RT video are you talking about as I don't typically post from there least I get called a Putin stooge or some such. Freedom!

errr... ok, I see. As these individuals have appeared on RT, a snippet of which is in the Vice clip, they are discredited. Such extremely limited thinking. All media sources contain propaganda, to varying degrees. Deny yourself knowledge and perspective if you must.  

Edited by villakram
errr...

36 minutes ago, villakram said:

If it's on RT it's rubbish. Right.

No. I watch RT occasionally (less than I used to). I also watch Sky News, The Beeb and other news channels. They're all capable of putting out a load of old cock.

btw, which RT video are you talking about as I don't typically post from there least I get called a Putin stooge or some such. Freedom!

errr... ok, I see. As these individuals have appeared on RT, a snippet of which is in the Vice clip, they are discredited.

Sorry, I had already clicked play and the first logo that I saw come up was the RT one so I assumed it was all an RT piece. That was not to prejudge it but to describe it. I'll happily go and change all of the references I've made from RT to Vice News if that helps you.

They aren't 'discredited'. I don't know who they are, what academic work they are responsible for, what exactly is their expertise or even their history (other than that mentioned in the Vice News video).

I did, however, listen to what they had to say and I judged the Vice News video on that which is what I presume you did. I came to the conclusion that it was a load of old cock on the evidence of what I heard whereas you obviously didn't.

Such extremely limited thinking. All media sources contain propaganda, to varying degrees. Deny yourself knowledge and perspective if you must.

It's extremely limited thinking to assume that people don't get their news from all sorts of places and that they don't think that there's a much more complicated and nuanced narrative that describes the world than any single one that any one person (that goes for the individuals in the Vice News video that you linked as much as any others) or any one media outlet (Vice News, RT, BBC, Sky, Fox, CBS, Buzzfeed, &c.) or any one government (be that the gov of the UK, the US, Russia, China, &c.) would attempt to put across.

Whilst it may be much simpler to battle a strawman and to blurt out 'realpolitik' in the hopes of appearing knowledgeable, with 'perspective' and capable of more than extremely limited thinking, it's a tired and ineffective ploy.

Edited by snowychap
Just so we're clear that the video was from Vice News (who the hell they are, I know not) rather than from RT.
  • Like 4

@snowychap - Vice news started life an a small independent online team then HBO got behind them. They have expanded their team and production values have increased. They do a lot of fairly in depth investigative pieces and were behind the images of neo-nazis marching in Charlottesville chanting "Jews will not replace us."  A female journalist on the Vice team had been talking with those right wing groups for months.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Come on @villakram you were silent during the Helsinki meet and its fallout. Without mentioning Hillary or Obama what were your thoughts.

Probably had to wait for the awkward bits to be edited out of the official records of the event....

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Come on @villakram you were silent during the Helsinki meet and its fallout. Without mentioning Hillary or Obama what were your thoughts.

I think talking between 2 of the global powers is a good thing. I find it surprising the amount of people who fail to see this and instead focus on the simplistic Trump is a Putin stooge angle.

The only reason not to talk would be if we were morally and ethically superior (and really militarily and economically too -- no, no, no, yes). I'm sure seeing them as "other" helps many live their lives, but important things like the state of the globe deserve a little deeper thinking, and an acknowledgment of jingoism and patriotism for what they are.

I know you said not to, but I was quite happy at the time that Obama had said he wanted to reset relations with Russia. That Medvedev open mic moment is still worth a giggle.

Edited by villakram

17 hours ago, snowychap said:

No. I watch RT occasionally (less than I used to). I also watch Sky News, The Beeb and other news channels. They're all capable of putting out a load of old cock.

Sorry, I had already clicked play and the first logo that I saw come up was the RT one so I assumed it was all an RT piece. That was not to prejudge it but to describe it. I'll happily go and change all of the references I've made from RT to Vice News if that helps you.

They aren't 'discredited'. I don't know who they are, what academic work they are responsible for, what exactly is their expertise or even their history (other than that mentioned in the Vice News video).

I did, however, listen to what they had to say and I judged the Vice News video on that which is what I presume you did. I came to the conclusion that it was a load of old cock on the evidence of what I heard whereas you obviously didn't.

It's extremely limited thinking to assume that people don't get their news from all sorts of places and that they don't think that there's a much more complicated and nuanced narrative that describes the world than any single one that any one person (that goes for the individuals in the Vice News video that you linked as much as any others) or any one media outlet (Vice News, RT, BBC, Sky, Fox, CBS, Buzzfeed, &c.) or any one government (be that the gov of the UK, the US, Russia, China, &c.) would attempt to put across.

Whilst it may be much simpler to battle a strawman and to blurt out 'realpolitik' in the hopes of appearing knowledgeable, with 'perspective' and capable of more than extremely limited thinking, it's a tired and ineffective ploy.

Old cock that gets published in Foreign Affairs. An entire political worldview that has proved very effective in the hands of more than one famous statesman.

Maybe I am somewhat knowledgeable and not simply trying my hardest generating a huge stress wrinkle in my big silly forehead to appear so. That ad hominem speaks volumes.

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

Russia's Military is piss weak these days

It's massively weaker than that of the US, but it's much stronger than it was, with better equipment and probably only the US and China is stronger, overall. I think piss weak is not the right terminology, tbh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's massively weaker than that of the US, but it's much stronger than it was, with better equipment and probably only the US and China is stronger, overall. I think piss weak is not the right terminology, tbh.

Pissed up.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Russia's conventional military is relatively weak these days

Not to pick on you but you replied first... small thing called a nuclear arsenal that is a mite important.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Old cock that gets published in Foreign Affairs. An entire political worldview that has proved very effective in the hands of more than one famous statesman.

What the **** are you on about? Genuinely.

You're going down the same line that those two fellas in the video did which is a load of old cock and relying upon throwing in 'realpolitik' to give whatever has happened or may happen some bogus legitimacy.

Maybe I am somewhat knowledgeable

You may well be. You haven't done anything which might demonstrate that yet.

Edited by snowychap

Â