U.S. Politics

maqroll

53 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

One of the more pernicious propagandas that right wing media and social media have been effective at it is perpetuating this 'unfit for office' and 'Biden dementia' (as evidenced just by the clips you referenced).

There's a difference between 'unfit for office' and 'too old for office', the latter of which everyone can agree with.

But in terms of being fit for office - Biden has done a remarkable job with the narrow majorities he had on legislation, put together an effective cabinet staff with very little controversy, and has rebuilt many of the international ties severed during the Trump era - all while navigating two dangerous international conflicts.

That his major legislative accomplishments (lowering prescription drug costs, major country infrastructure that Republicans like to pretend they voted for, created domestic manufacturing jobs, child tax credit, green energy jobs) are not immediately touted is a major PR failure but the very accomplishments themselves won't be noticed until years down the road when Biden is long dead. It's not a quick media hit like LOWER TAXES that have profound negative long term impacts.

This is not a point to pick with you specifically but just a generalization that people, and specifically American people, are easily swayed over a 30 second clip (though this is nothing new and why Obama is so popular despite Biden arguably accomplishing more than he did in the first 2 years) as opposed to the actual betterment of the constituency. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

One of the more pernicious propagandas that right wing media and social media have been effective at it is perpetuating this 'unfit for office' and 'Biden dementia' (as evidenced just by the clips you referenced).

There's a difference between 'unfit for office' and 'too old for office', the latter of which everyone can agree with.

But in terms of being fit for office - Biden has done a remarkable job with the narrow majorities he had on legislation, put together an effective cabinet staff with very little controversy, and has rebuilt many of the international ties severed during the Trump era - all while navigating two dangerous international conflicts.

That his major legislative accomplishments (lowering prescription drug costs, major country infrastructure that Republicans like to pretend they voted for, created domestic manufacturing jobs, child tax credit, green energy jobs) are not immediately touted is a major PR failure but the very accomplishments themselves won't be noticed until years down the road when Biden is long dead. It's not a quick media hit like LOWER TAXES that have profound negative long term impacts.

This is not a point to pick with you specifically but just a generalization that people, and specifically American people, are easily swayed over a 30 second clip (though this is nothing new and why Obama is so popular despite Biden arguably accomplishing more than he did in the first 2 years) as opposed to the actual betterment of the constituency. 

Too old to me say's he's unfit. He's not been the worst president, not even close but when his major achievement was getting there in the first place to beat out an orange fascist it's not saying much. He's been poor to average.

It's not just "right wing propaganda". He's old, slowing down, slurring and forgetting obvious things a man in that position ought to know. I don't know if he has dementia, but he certainly should be tested. My 96 year old grandmother has dementia and I recognise enough in what I'm seeing from Biden that we should be concerned. It's not just him though, Trump is also too old. You've also got senators and congressmen serving well into old age (as we have here with MP's and Peers), some of them on the supreme court are there for life. That can't be right. There's got to be some kind of upper limit imposed otherwise you get the situation we have now where you might as well put Dick Van Dyk up against Bill Shatner and be done with it.

7 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Too old to me say's he's unfit. He's not been the worst president, not even close but when his major achievement was getting there in the first place to beat out an orange fascist it's not saying much. He's been poor to average.

It's not just "right wing propaganda". He's old, slowing down, slurring and forgetting obvious things a man in that position ought to know. I don't know if he has dementia, but he certainly should be tested. My 96 year old grandmother has dementia and I recognise enough in what I'm seeing from Biden that we should be concerned. It's not just him though, Trump is also too old. You've also got senators and congressmen serving well into old age (as we have here with MP's and Peers), some of them on the supreme court are there for life. That can't be right. There's got to be some kind of upper limit imposed otherwise you get the situation we have now where you might as well put Dick Van Dyk up against Bill Shatner and be done with it.

Nothing you've said there wasn't being said the first time he got elected

• Like 1

Most powerful man on the planet

Report says Biden 'did not remember when his son Beau died'

The special counsel's report goes into further detail on what it calls "significant limitations" in Joe Biden's memory.

When the Special Counsel's office interviewed Biden, the report reads, the president "did not remember when he was vice president, forgetting on the first day of the interview when his term ended ("if it was 2013 - when did I stop being Vice President?"), and forgetting on the second day of the interview when his term began ("in 2009, am I still Vice President?")".

Further, Biden also "did not remember, even within several years, when his son Beau died".

The report adds that "his memory appeared hazy when describing the Afghanistan debate that was once so important to him. Among other things, he mistakenly said he 'had a real difference' of opinion with General Karl Eikenberry, when, in fact, Eikenberry was an ally whom Mr Biden cited approvingly in his Thanksgiving memo to President Obama."

link

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

link

Dems really need to wake up to this. A young vibrant candidate would probably sweep all before him. Biden is there to be shot down. 

• Like 2

On 07/02/2024 at 19:47, magnkarl said:

The cascading effect it has on the world if Trump is elected ties my stomach in knots.

The GOP seems to be run by people who want Putin to keep murdering, Israel to keep murdering, and Europe to be the only place in the world where people have a choice.

Was this what the allies fought for in WW2? Some orange #¤% turning the leader of the free world into a fascist state that worships a Russian dictator? Jesus.

Time for the EU, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and U.K to stand up and take the lead, America isn't a shining house on the hill anymore. They're past it, and both their parties prefer to play politics rather than listening to their moral compass and common sense. I'm glad we've got Poland, Scandinavia and a solid industrial backbone in middle-Europe to offset the "#%¤show it would be for NATO if Trump got elected, because the U.S can no longer be considered a reliable partner if they elect that orange "#¤#¤ again.

Same. Terrified of the consequences and why I was so bitterly disappointed the UK broke from the EU.

• Like 1

So Biden arranges an impromptu press conference defending his mental faculties and proceeds to refer to El-Sisi (the President of Egypt) as the President of Mexico. Regardless of the whole dementia/old-age argument, you absolutely can't make an error like that in a press conference about that.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

link

The guy who wrote this is a Trump man, he was nominated to office by Trump, its propaganda, its dangerous to see this as fact. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

The guy who wrote this is a Trump man, he was nominated to office by Trump, its propaganda, its dangerous to see this as fact. 

Politics in the US is so toxic, it’s like the remain/leave period we had but permanently. It must be exhausting for everyone.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Politics in the US is so toxic, it’s like the remain/leave period we had but permanently. It must be exhausting for everyone.

The influence of the PR machine Trump uses isn't confined to the USA, I know avid trump supporters in the UK who given the chance would vote for him in a heart beat. The same voters that love Farage, the Brexit is Brexit brigade. 

AI, social media, Google etc are being manipulated to influence voters, its a nightmare scenario imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, tinker said:

The influence of the PR machine Trump uses isn't confined to the USA, I know avid trump supporters in the UK who given the chance would vote for him in a heart beat. The same voters that love Farage, the Brexit is Brexit brigade. 

AI, social media, Google etc are being manipulated to influence voters, its a nightmare scenario imo.

My brother in law is the classic Trump supporter, as is his dad (both tradesmen). They’re adamant there would never be any wars ever again if Trump got into power as everyone is so scared of him.

When Biden’s son was done for having a gun without a permit he was full of “it’s all coming out now” like it somehow was worse than Donald’s never ending rap sheet of sexual abuse, corruption, lies, failed election stealing, bribery, violence, fraud etc etc.

Sadly he has converted the sister in law to thinking the way. When they saw the news that the US was striking the Iranian targets they were terrified that the end of the world was coming and declared to start prepping by buying tinned food and water.

Its pretty scary the hold he has over people thousands of miles away.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Yep, Biden is too old, that is undeniable. But that is an absolute hand grenade, will have a huge affect.

If Biden was re-elected, I believe he would be surrounded by people who could keep things under control, whereas Trump would just have yes men and lunatics.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Yep, Biden is too old, that is undeniable. But that is an absolute hand grenade, will have a huge affect.

If Biden was re-elected, I believe he would be surrounded by people who could keep things under control, whereas Trump would just have yes men and lunatics.

That's the difference for those that are in the "they're both as bad" camp. Being president should be having a lot of intelligent people experts in their field around you to take and act on the best advice available. When you replace those people with sycophants who know next to nothing about their brief you get Trumps, Johnsons and Truss's.

• Thanks 1

Â